Strategy What moves would you make?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that it’s becoming clearer we won’t defend this premiership, what moves on the field should we make to set us up for next season?

The positional moves I’d make are:

- Moore fwd.
Let see what he can offer as a key forward partner to McStay. His form in defence hasn’t been great, Mihocek isn’t coming until next season and Kreuger has shown he’s a solid depth option but probably lacks the class to be a long term best 22 player in that role.

Moore showed a lot of promise in the role early in his career let see if he can deliver in some of that for the rest of the year. It would also give us another tactical option for next season and give our defence a chance to see whether they can adapt without him.

- Josh Eyre to AFL side as a key defender.
To replace Moore down back I’d bring Eyre in the side. He has spent more time forward in the VFL this season but moved down back last game and looked solid. He has decent defensive abilities, marking and a nice left foot.

Give him an opportunity to repay the faith we’ve shown in him by picking him in the ssp and see whether we have a key defender going forward.

- Josh Daicos half back.
We haven’t replaced Nick Naicos at half back. Why not try the next best thing there. He looked okay when moved to half back against Hawthorn albeit the game was over at that point. Also have him take all our kick ins for the rest of the season.

Hopefully this move can facilitate our transition game from half back and help open up the angles coming out of defence.
- Harrison wing.
To replace Josh I’d play Harvey Harrison on the wing for the rest of the season.

We already know what he offers as a small forward let give him to chance to build up his wing capability.

- Smit to second ruck.
Develop him to play the second ruck/fwd role next to Cameron. He’s shown enough in the VFL to show he’s ready for taste.

Gives him an opportunity to have a taste at AFL and see where he has to work to and gives us an opportunity to see how far away he is and whether or not he can contribute meaningfully to the AFL side next season.

- Lipinski full time midfielder.
I think he’s grown stale playing as a half forward flanker and doesn’t get enough opportunities to contribute as a half forward with our terrible ball movement.

Give him an opportunity to play as the midfielder he was meant to be when we recruited him. He’s had good games in this position with us before, let see if he can produce here consistently.

- Hill hhf/rotation
With Schultz and Elliott we have enough small forwards that excel deep so I’d play Bobby as the high forward that gives our wingers a chop out and give him the odd run in the centre bounce.

Give him an opportunity to get involved more in games so he doesn’t feel the need to over complicate every possession he gets. It would also gives us more speed up the field to hopefully facilitate our ball movement.

- McCreery to half back.
To add some line breaking pace to the back half I’d move McCreery there. Markov hasn’t backed up last seasons from there, we know what we get from Noble and we have more than enough small forward in the front half.

I think this will assist in McCreery’s potential transition to midfield as it will help develop his outside game as he doesn’t get an opportunity to ball hunt in the front half.

The tactics move I’d make are:

- Move to a more man on man system.
Atm the full zone is getting exposed way too easily. Opposition teams can do what they want to us. They can hog possession in their back half and get it over the back in their front half with ease.

We need to start manning up their free options so they can’t play kick to kick and need more accountability in the back half so they don’t have free options constantly streaking to goal. Certain players will still have license to zone and cut off passing lanes but atm our gameplan seems to complicated to follow so dumb it down for them.

Once we stop conceding 100+ uncontested marks and leaking goals like sieve then we can slowly introduce more zoning aspects.

- Go back to playing on at all costs and moving down the centre at every play.
We’re we’re at our best when we played with this mentality. Oppositions teams couldn’t contain us because our offence was relentless. We have now become a kick mark down the line side and have been incredibly easy to defend most of the year.

We need to give our players licence to play in the no fear way we played back in 2022 and the first half of 2023. At best we’ll become the unstoppable powerhouse we’re we’re in those years at worst we’ll become entertaining to watch and the team will have more fun.

Overall these are the moves I’d make to help salvage this season and set us up for the next season.

Now that it’s becoming clearer we won’t defend this premiership, what moves on the field should we make to set us up for next season?

- Moore fwd.
Let see what he can offer as a key forward partner to McStay. His form in defence hasn’t been great, Mihocek isn’t coming until next season and Kreuger has shown he’s a solid depth option but probably lacks the class to be a long term best 22 player in that role.

Moore showed a lot of promise in the role early in his career let see if he can deliver in some of that for the rest of the year. It would also give us another tactical option for next season and give our defence a chance to see whether they can adapt without him.

To replace Moore down back I’d bring Eyre in the side. He has spent more time forward in the VFL this season but moved down back last game and looked solid. He has decent defensive abilities, marking and a nice left foot.

Give him an opportunity to repay the faith we’ve shown in him by picking him in the ssp and see whether we have a key defender going forward.

- Josh Daicos half back.
We haven’t replaced Nick Naicos at half back. Why not try the next best thing there. He looked okay when moved to half back against Hawthorn albeit the game was over at that point. Also have him take all our kick ins for the rest of the season.

Hopefully this move can facilitate our transition game from half back and help open up the angles coming out of defence.
- Harrison wing.
To replace Josh I’d play Harvey Harrison on the wing for the rest of the season.

We already know what he offers as a small forward let give him to chance to build up his wing capability.

- Smit to second ruck.
Develop him to play the second ruck/fwd role next to Cameron. He’s shown enough in the VFL to show he’s ready for taste.

Gives him an opportunity to have a taste at AFL and see where he has to work to and gives us an opportunity to see how far away he is and whether or not he can contribute meaningfully to the AFL side next season.

I think he’s grown stale playing as a half forward flanker and doesn’t get enough opportunities to contribute as a half forward with our terrible ball movement.

Give him an opportunity to play as the midfielder he was meant to be when we recruited him. He’s had good games in this position with us before, let see if he can produce here consistently.

- Hill hhf/rotation
With Schultz and Elliott we have enough small forwards that excel deep so I’d play Bobby as the high forward that gives our wingers a chop out and give him the odd run in the centre bounce.

Give him an opportunity to get involved more in games so he doesn’t feel the need to over complicate every possession he gets. It would also gives us more speed up the field to hopefully facilitate our ball movement.

- McCreery to half back.
To add some line breaking pace to the back half I’d move McCreery there. Markov hasn’t backed up last seasons from there, we know what we get from Noble and we have more than enough small forward in the front half.

I think this will assist in McCreery’s potential transition to midfield as it will help develop his outside game as he doesn’t get an opportunity to ball hunt in the front half.

Atm the full zone is getting exposed way too easily. Opposition teams can do what they want to us. They can hog possession in their back half and get it over the back in their front half with ease.

We need to start manning up their free options so they can’t play kick to kick and need more accountability in the back half so they don’t have free options constantly streaking to goal. Certain players will still have license to zone and cut off passing lanes but atm our gameplan seems to complicated to follow so dumb it down for them.

Once we stop conceding 100+ uncontested marks and leaking goals like sieve then we can slowly introduce more zoning aspects.

We’re we’re at our best when we played with this mentality. Oppositions teams couldn’t contain us because our offence was relentless. We have now become a kick mark down the line side and have been incredibly easy to defend most of the year.

We need to give our players licence to play in the no fear way we played back in 2022 and the first half of 2023. At best we’ll become the unstoppable powerhouse we’re we’re in those years at worst we’ll become entertaining to watch and the team will have more fun.

Overall these are the moves I’d make to help salvage this season and set us up for the next season.

Thoughtful prompts

- Moore fwd.

- Josh Daicos half back.

- Harrison wing.

- Smit to second ruck.

- Hill hhf/rotation

- McCreery to half back.

McCreery and Josh Daicos in defence is very innovative thinking. Moore forward might very well be the reset his career needs right now.

Good post and thanks for sharing. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Bytel to have a run-with role
Each week the opposition's best mid-fielder chops us up. Bytel has form in his St Kilda days as a run with player and he's been our best in the VFL for a number of weeks. The best sides are using a run-with role and we should try it out.
Great call.

If we have a player who's capable of negating the opposition's best/most effective mid, we should be deploying them, particularly given our struggles with clearance at the moment.

The problem is, unless our midfield gets going again, there are limited options.

I think our best football is midfield getting good supply, Checkers/McStay providing a contest, and McCreery/Hill/Schultz applying maximum heat. And when they get tired we get Elliott/Richards/Harrison to help out.

The defense can then set up further up the field with the territory gains, and do their zone off with more impact.

But I’m worried this midfield issue won’t change soon, so to be honest our best chance is probably Ross Lyon ball. Tighter defensive marking, more numbers back or clog the middle, try and win 55-50.

Steele forward pocket .. yes I know he’s slowing but has tricks.. where he started
Bobby wing.. pace evasive and run
Moore Full forward.. no punching just try and clunk marks
Mccreery on ball when available.. need the big body .. was working a treat until he got knocked out against Carlton
Jdg Forward
Frampton back key back
Nick possibly half back changing with crisp midfield ..need the run and carry.. ..2022 all over again where teams had no answer
Reef and harrison have to play ..we need to see if they can play .. give them some midfield roles / changing forward
WHE back flank
Let’s have a look at Allan

Last edited:
Moore up forward with McStay and Cox chopping in occasionally could be just deadly up forward. Frampton back to full back with Howe and Dean as the second and third tall defenders.

Maynard midfield with Crisp and De Goey. We need grunt in there and he would be a perfect compliment to Naicos, who needs some strength and physical support. Josh Daicos to half back. Reef used as a tall wingman who can take marks which we are lacking so much now with Cox out. Having him and Cox as options coming out of the backline would be nice and possibly Moore as a roaming forward that can come up too.

We've got nothing to lose really at this stage. Might as well prepare for 2025 and swing in some kids who need opportunity and make some positional changes.

• Moore forward
  • Hill wing
  • McInnes and Lipinski firmly in midfield rotation
  • don't hate Bytel run-with suggestion. Could give him one last crack as he hasn't earnt an extension.
  • bring Cox back for 1-2 weeks and if he's not offering anything, give Smit a late run

B: Brayden Maynard - Billy Frampton - Isaac Quaynor
HB: John Noble - Jeremy Howe - Will Hoskin-Elliott
C: Bobby Hill - Nick Daicos - Josh Daicos
HF: Joe Richards - Darcy Moore - Jordan De Goey
F: Jamie Elliott - Dan McStay - Harvey Harrison
R: Darcy Cameron - Patrick Lipinski - Jack Crisp
I: Reef McInnes - Scott Pendlebury - Jack Bytel - Maxon Cox/Iliro Smit
Sub: Steele Sidebottom

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post! Love the moves being raised

Jaicos at HB, Beau replacing Leggy, Moore twin towering with McStay, bobby on the wing, bytel as a hard tag, Smit playing a Leeroy role, Maynard/Lippa as pure extractor

Won't all work but would be great to see it trialled and how unpredictable it makes us. Wish there was an AFL simulator to try the moves ourselves

Agree with man to man defence. That should simplify things and makes the players a bit more accountable.

The biggest change is that we need to start respecting the opposition more. Other teams are more talented and we need to quell their play makers. In the middle Crisp would be my tagger.

I am not a big Noble fan but said this a while back and that is I would trial him as a defensive forward. The one thing you can guarantee is that you will get effort and we might actually curb the opposition half back.

B. IQ. Frampton. Jiath
Hb. Jaicos. Dean. Maynard
C. WHE. Crisp. Hill
HF. Checkers McStay. Degoey
F. Elliot. Moore. Shultz

R. Cameron Naicos. Reef
Int. HH Richards. Beau. Alan

Moore as second ruck/forward
Pace all around the ground
Beau to tag
Reef and Jordy to switch

- Moore fwd.

- Josh Daicos half back.

- Harrison wing.

- Smit to second ruck.

- Hill hhf/rotation

- McCreery to half back.

- Moore forward is a no brainer. If he can be half decent in that role, then we go out and overpay to land a Battle/Barass. And just like that, the team improves considerably.

- Lipinski midfield is also a no brainer. That's his best position, play him there.

- Love the McCreery to half back suggestion. Has mongrel and athleticism in spades,
can't see why the move wouldn't be a success.

- Moore fwd.

- Josh Daicos half back.

- Harrison wing.

- Smit to second ruck.

- Hill hhf/rotation

- McCreery to half back.

The season isn’t over, the path to finals maybe challenging but it isn’t over.

We are a system based team, have been for 15 years. This means you can’t just chop and change…some players need to cover ground to plug holes and provide options forward. Others are there to block so that Daicos can get the ball to his brother. We play a territory game, so you’re going to to struggle coach McRae to not have mcreery in the forward half.

I would play players in their positions or not at all. Reef needs to play midfield. I would throw Moore forward as you say, see if we can get some spark back. Let IQ and Maynard play their attacking transition roles.

I would drop everybody that doesn’t justify their place in the team, including Pendles…would rather see Macrae get game time over an aging star. This is all hypothetical…we are still in the hunt.

Mcinnes to the backline as an intercepting defender.
Lipinski playing inside mid.
Pendles as an attacking mid/HF to feed the ball into the forward line.
Hill to the wing with daicos on the other wing.
WHE to have stints in the ruck. Has a great leap and will draw free kicks. Also gives us an extra mid.
Crisp to play defensive mid/tag on oppos best player

Hill to half back to play that 2011 Leon Davis/Nick Daicos role.

People suggest playing him on a wing he sort of got lost there for GWS the few times I saw him play there.

I think benefit of half back is it is easier to get the ball in his hands. tell him to back himself and be happy for him to make mistakes that will cost goals.

I'd bring in Jiath to for Markov. Still raw but he does have AFL traits.

De Goey and McInness to change between mid and FP.

We desperately require another bull like mid. Since the departure of Adam’s and Mitchell’s injury, we just haven’t been the same imposing and ruthless team. That’s why I’d send Maynard to midfield, Naicos to backline for his beautiful kicking we lack down there and perhaps inject speed into midfield with Noble onto the wing and Lipinski down back.

On another note, have we ever won a game with Howe up forward? I’d like the stats on that. Keep him down back, especially now that we have Mcstay and Cox back to play up forward with DeGoey. Please also make sure that Mcstay is properly supported with another key forward at all times either Cox or Krueger.

Replacing Murphy down back is where our weakness is at. Dean or Frampton have to be in the team if you ask me otherwise Moore is half the player he can be without that extra tall timber as support.

We desperately require another bull like mid. Since the departure of Adam’s and Mitchell’s injury, we just haven’t been the same imposing and ruthless team. That’s why I’d send Maynard to midfield, Naicos to backline for his beautiful kicking we lack down there and perhaps inject speed into midfield with Noble onto the wing and Lipinski down back.

On another note, have we ever won a game with Howe up forward? I’d like the stats on that. Keep him down back, especially now that we have Mcstay and Cox back to play up forward with DeGoey. Please also make sure that Mcstay is properly supported with another key forward at all times either Cox or Krueger.

Replacing Murphy down back is where our weakness is at. Dean or Frampton have to be in the team if you ask me otherwise Moore is half the player he can be without that extra tall timber as support.
Bruz could definitely be a Tom Stewart type in the midfield and then float back to take some backline marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy What moves would you make?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back