What ocean is directly south of victoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok i cant figure this out and for once google does not have an easy answer.

Is it the southern ocean? This was my first guess but i see maps online of the southern ocean and its only a very small area around antartica touching no other land form. This is not what i remember being taught at school.

If its not the southern ocean then is it one of the pacific or indian oceans? Where does the pacific end and the indian start exactly?

Or is the bass strait its own little ocean thats seperate from all the other oceans? This doesnt feel right. I feel the bass strait should be a small subset area of a much larger ocean. Its not the bass ocean now is it. They dont name oceans after people and if they did surely one of those people would not be Bass.

So anyone know the answer to this? It has me truly stumped.

This is what keeps you up at 4.30am?
My mind is usually taken up with wrestling with what excuse I’m going to give this time for coming home so late.
Or, more importantly, who is Chris Scott going to drop to make way for Cuthrie in the Prel. Final.
Not sure about the Southern Ocean. Named after Danny Southern?

Cape otway lighthouse marks the actual boundary of Bass Strait and the Southern Ocean.
See this map says southern ocean is well well below australia. So even if the bass strait somehow gets to avoid being part of an ocean. Its not the southern ocean its touching at otway lighthouse. Its one of the pacific or indian. But which one?

IMG_1136.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the IILSS - The South Pacific -

1725894418888.png

According to Wikipedia - The Indian Ocean -

1725895172581.png

According to ChatGPT it's neither -

"Bass Strait is not directly part of either the Indian or Pacific Ocean, but it serves as a natural passage between them. On one side, it connects to the Great Australian Bight, which is part of the Indian Ocean, and on the other, it opens into the Tasman Sea, which is part of the Pacific Ocean.

So, it can be seen as a boundary area between these two oceans, but it is not definitively part of either."

So you've picked up on a rare geographical grey area Seeds . Anecdotally, having grown up in Victoria, I've never heard of it referred to as part of either ocean and only as Bass Strait.

According to the IILSS - The South Pacific -

View attachment 2106409

According to Wikipedia - The Indian Ocean -

View attachment 2106410

According to ChatGPT it's neither -

"Bass Strait is not directly part of either the Indian or Pacific Ocean, but it serves as a natural passage between them. On one side, it connects to the Great Australian Bight, which is part of the Indian Ocean, and on the other, it opens into the Tasman Sea, which is part of the Pacific Ocean.

So, it can be seen as a boundary area between these two oceans, but it is not definitively part of either."

So you've picked up on a rare geographical grey area Seeds . Anecdotally, having grown up in Victoria, I've never heard of it referred to as part of either ocean and only as Bass Strait.
There should not be geographical grey areas in the 21st century. Yet here we are. Everyone In australia thinks its the Southern ocean even though none of the international ocean maps think the southern ocean gets anywhere near tasmania let alone victoria.

There should not be geographical grey areas in the 21st century. Yet here we are. Everyone In australia thinks its the Southern ocean even though none of the international ocean maps think the southern ocean gets anywhere near tasmania let alone victoria.
There is no agreement on a definition of continents, much less the difference between boundaries of oceans or what defines an ocean from the seas.

Remove this Banner Ad

What ocean is directly south of victoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back