What time are MCC members lining up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly I think MCC Members should be grateful they get an enormous grand final reserve to themselves at the expense of competing club members
Should be directing that at the cooperates that take 35k of the seats that are normally free rather than the fans that pay $500 a year for the MCC access and take 22ishk as they do every single game of the year.

Frankly I think MCC Members should be grateful they get an enormous grand final reserve to themselves at the expense of competing club members

100,000 mcc members at 650 bucks a year every year without fail pay their way for their rights

Grateful yes but don't think we don't pay for our benefits and wait a long time to be eligible

Judging by the lines for the prelim which were smaller than average I would expect it to be pretty similar for the grand final as Adelaide have very few mcc members. I wouldn't be surprised if they let some restricted members in this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
95000 is a pretty big prelim crowd by any standard

Why isn't the whole reserve sold before hand like the AFL members to avoid the stupidity of having to rock at up 3am? Would also mean leftover tickets could be sold off to ensure a full house. It is always the one area not 100% full every year. Does anyone know why they keep this archaic system?

Why isn't the whole reserve sold before hand like the AFL members to avoid the stupidity of having to rock at up 3am? Would also mean leftover tickets could be sold off to ensure a full house. It is always the one area not 100% full every year. Does anyone know why they keep this archaic system?

Because the members pay for that right. And don't mind queuing up if the miss out on the ballot .

Leftover seats are sold to restricted mcc members if it's not looking like a sellout

It's the only way to ensure every full member, who pay's for entry every year, can access the ground if they choose too. A ballot is random, if you ballot the entire stadium then I as a full paying member don't get a chance to attend at all.

I'd be aiming for 5am

Was talking to a Melbourne supporter last night who reckoned he could turn up at gates and get a seat, I reckon he's no chance.

I reckon 4am to guarantee you're not up in the gods.

I got tickets in the ballot for the first time since 2011 so I'll be enjoying a sleep in for once.

First year of full membership and I got the ballot, seriously incredible luck.

Because turning up at 3am is just a reflection of how keen you are, it's basically the difference between a supporter with a genuine vested interest and one without. Balloting the whole reserve just means those more interested supporters potentially miss out.

In the age of social media the MCC have become much better at responding to demand for walk-ups by informing restricted members of whether they will receive access.

Gates open at 8am.

Just wondering what time other MCC members lining up for the walk up seats are planning on arriving??

I've only gone when to the GF when I've been successful in the ballot, so haven't needed to line up, and so dont really know.

I was advised by MCC that last year people who arrived just as the gates were opening were still able to get a seat. But I want a good seat! And with the pies having a lot of MCC members, that could affect things too...
Ah memories. Go pies!!

Because there's few things more satisfying than being rewarded for the dedication of getting to the queue at around midnight in good weather (about 2am if it's raining) by being able to walk in and grab arguably the best seats in the house in N47.

I'm generalising, but the ballot is for MCC members who are neutrals, or more casual with their support. Getting to the queue in the wee hours is for the die hards.

If you're a full club member, chances are you're pretty desperate to go and passionate about the result. That's not necessarily the case for MCC members. So the system that they use doesn't unfairly disadvantage the neutral MCC members (who deserves the seat more: the Melbourne supporter who's attended 20-30 MCG games in 2017, or the Richmond supporter who's dusting the membership off for the first time this year to get into the GF?), while giving a guaranteed seat to anyone who misses out on the ballot, provided they're keen enough. I think it works perfectly.

Judging by the lines for the prelim which were smaller than average I would expect it to be pretty similar for the grand final as Adelaide have very few mcc members. I wouldn't be surprised if they let some restricted members in this year.

I'd suggest that Richmond's first grand final in 35 years will have a huge demand in the MCC among the neutral supporters. That combined with the recent introduction of the Friday public holiday and the associated dickheads who join the queue 24 hours before the gates open to get their heads on TV for three seconds will ensure the members is full very early on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must have got very close, the crowd was 100,012 and the capacity of the ground is apparently 100,018.

Actually the crowd was 100,013... I know a bloke who managed to sneak in :p

I just got phone call saying it was on news. Whether or not some one pulling my leg. I dont know. I hope bloody not. Im planning to be there approx 3am. Surely get a seat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My old man just informed me apparently its true... far out... haha, generally 48+ hours before gates open is the die-hards. I believe you will be right heading in at 3am, make it 2am to be safe. Whats an extra hour? :p

I just got phone call saying it was on news. Whether or not some one pulling my leg. I dont know. I hope bloody not. Im planning to be there approx 3am. Surely get a seat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
There were still 2000 seats free last weekend, l know this is a bigger game... but you'll get in and get a seat by getting in line at 6am.

Mate sent me this...

Can't see anybody but he did say a couple were camped out.

Attachments

• Resized_20170928_174915.jpeg
    Resized_20170928_174915.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 22
He would be shattered if he stood in line by himself for a full 24 hours without anyone else showing up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hahahah I dont know why but this reminded me of Rick and Morty.... "existence is pain"...... "lining up is pain!!!"

I'm super jelly.

I'm 3 or 4 years from becoming a Provisional Member. Can't bloody wait.

Even though it still wont get me a GF ticket at least it'll be good to finally get my foot in the door.

This is my 2nd year as full member.... got the ballot this year, missed last year.... can tell you that lining up from 3am is about as much fun as it sounds....

... can tell you that lining up from 3am is about as much fun as it sounds....
I'd do it if my team was competing. Get the seat then go home and chill for a few hours.

It's not like they come around that often ( at least for Richmond supporters)

Remove this Banner Ad

What time are MCC members lining up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back