Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly my point, we've been cultured in the last decade or two to the moralistic view of what tough is. Which mind you I think is the better way to go, but tough is someone that dishes out pain as well as taking it (ie. A boxer, UFC fighter etc), courageous is someone willing and able to take pain for the team.

I don't think there is even an avenue to see which players are tough these days, there might be a few in the comp, but they are rare because it's not a requirement anymore.
Sorry mate but tough is not the ability to dish out pain or violence. It can be used in that context but it is not the definition of what tough means. Playing through pain takes toughness, all it takes to dish it out is an opportunity.
Archer tough, the other two courageous.
Lappin and Kelly were tough as could be. You don't play a full grand final with a punctured lung unless you are tough. It takes courage to do it as well, but toughness is the biggest requirement.

Sorry mate but tough is not the ability to dish out pain or violence. It can be used in that context but it is not the definition of what tough means. Playing through pain takes toughness, all it takes to dish it out is an opportunity.

Lappin and Kelly were tough as could be. You don't play a full grand final with a punctured lung unless you are tough. It takes courage to do it as well, but toughness is the biggest requirement.
Yeah that’s what I was referring to. Lappins fitness test before the 2003 granny is legendary. The fact he even played is remarkable and that he played well also is truly toughness.

Yeah that’s what I was referring to. Lappins fitness test before the 2003 granny is legendary. The fact he even played is remarkable and that he played well also is truly toughness.

Courage. I doubt anybody would even think twice about lappin being on the field. Voss, Brown, Lynch, Scott brothers, they were tough.

All Australian is a popularity contest.

It’s still judged by a broad panel, with statistics available and I’m sure there is some stern debate. It’s not judged by us nuffies.

I do agree the media pumps up a flavour of the month too easily when they have 2-3 good games and totally dismisses shit form before that.

The dictionary definition of tough is being able to endure hardship or pain.

Nothing about your ability to inflict pain.

Looks like you cherry picked there. I mean overall it's playing semantics and they are likely interchangeable, but I think it's what one defines as tough depending on their upbringing.

I feel like I went to a tough school because there were a lot of fights and bad kids, they were the tough guys that people were intimated of. It also took an element of courage to be like that, because putting yourself out there as a tough guy gives the higher risk of getting your head punched in, by someone that thinks they're tougher.

'Watch out for Nigel Lappin in the school yard boys?' Nuh, 'watch out for the Scott brothers', Yes. Most footy players these days are the Lappin's, not the Scott's.

Screenshot_20240103-140802_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240103-140835_Chrome.jpg

Nigel Lappin was absolutely tough. Opposing players roughed him up constantly and he never shirked a contest.

He wasn't rough the way that some of those others listed were though. At least, not that I saw.
Played a winning grand final injured too.

The Lappin story is wild ... but think of Kiwi legend Buck Shelford who played out a test against the French with his scrotum torn open
Think I would have passed out!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't seem possible. And yet it happened.
Muhammad Ali flight 10 rounds with a broken jaw against Ken Norton.
Sonny Liston fought 10 or so rounds with a broken jaw.
Aussie Jai Opetaia fought well technically not last year now but the year before in a title fight with a broken jaw and won.
I broke my jaw and was playing 3 weeks later so we didn’t forfeit, obviously not in those guys league becuase at least it was healing and not freshly broken.

Im sure if we tried we could find more gruesome injuries that athletes played through. Human body and mind is awesome and weird IMO.

Aussie Jai Opetaia fought well technically not last year now but the year before in a title fight with a broken jaw and won.
I broke my jaw and was playing 3 weeks later so we didn’t forfeit, obviously not in those guys league becuase at least it was healing and not freshly broken.

Im sure if we tried we could find more gruesome injuries that athletes played through. Human body and mind is awesome and weird IMO.
The most extraordinary one I ever saw in person was a high school waterpolo match in sydney. Player was drowned and not breathing during the game. Pulled out of the pool and rescuitated lying on the concrete. Once he got a sense of where he was, he wanted to keep playing. (The game itself was stopped, for obvious reasons)

Some people are straight up nuts. You just can't keep playing after you die.

Looks like you cherry picked there. I mean overall it's playing semantics and they are likely interchangeable, but I think it's what one defines as tough depending on their upbringing.

I feel like I went to a tough school because there were a lot of fights and bad kids, they were the tough guys that people were intimated of. It also took an element of courage to be like that, because putting yourself out there as a tough guy gives the higher risk of getting your head punched in, by someone that thinks they're tougher.

'Watch out for Nigel Lappin in the school yard boys?' Nuh, 'watch out for the Scott brothers', Yes. Most footy players these days are the Lappin's, not the Scott's.

View attachment 1881148
View attachment 1881149
If anyone is cherry picking it is you mate.
The definition everyone else has been using for tough is there in black and white in your own screen shot, yet you refuse to accept that these guys are tough.
Using your theory Sonny Liston is tougher than Muhammad Ali. Everyone feared Liston, he was arguably one of the scariest men to ever live. His feats as a mafia stand over guy are as legendary as his punching power in the ring. Muhammad Ali not only had more courage than Liston, he was a hell of a lot tougher. He wasn’t feared or intimidating like Liston, Foreman or Tyson but both Foreman and Tyson admit Ali is the toughest one out of all three of them. They went to schools that would make your school experience seem like a rich boys private school, not to say your school wasn’t tough but theirs was a different world, and they are happy to call someone who wasn’t particularly feared or intimidating tough.

The most extraordinary one I ever saw in person was a high school waterpolo match in sydney. Player was drowned and not breathing during the game. Pulled out of the pool and rescuitated lying on the concrete. Once he got a sense of where he was, he wanted to keep playing. (The game itself was stopped, for obvious reasons)

Some people are straight up nuts. You just can't keep playing after you die.
That one is nuts.

It shows why we need ‘adults in the room’ to save athletes from themselves.

If anyone is cherry picking it is you mate.
The definition everyone else has been using for tough is there in black and white in your own screen shot, yet you refuse to accept that these guys are tough.
Using your theory Sonny Liston is tougher than Muhammad Ali. Everyone feared Liston, he was arguably one of the scariest men to ever live. His feats as a mafia stand over guy are as legendary as his punching power in the ring. Muhammad Ali not only had more courage than Liston, he was a hell of a lot tougher. He wasn’t feared or intimidating like Liston, Foreman or Tyson but both Foreman and Tyson admit Ali is the toughest one out of all three of them. They went to schools that would make your school experience seem like a rich boys private school, not to say your school wasn’t tough but theirs was a different world, and they are happy to call someone who wasn’t particularly feared or intimidating tough.

All boxers are tough though coz they both dish it out and take it. I don't classify a private school kid that's never been in a fight in his life but is courageous on the footy field as tough. I'm happy to say I may be wrong, but that's just the way I see it.

I think this is pretty unpopular: I really have no interest in state of origin football being revived: I never watched the bushfire relief game and only watched the 150th anniversary game, because it was on at the pub, can't remember a single thing that happened in that game.

In terms of interest, personally I don't think it would hold any more interest to me than simply having an event ahead of the All-Australian selections where 23-player teams for Vic, SA, WA and the Allies are chosen, presented with guernseys like the AA blazers and that's that. No matter what they do, a Victoria state of origin game win would be lucky to be equal to a Geelong practice match win in my pecking order. It's never going to be the NRL, it would always be played in quarter full stadiums, with second and third choice players making up the numbers and going at about 70% intensity.

Last edited:

Suprised nobody bought up Wayne 'Buck' Shelford, who played for the All Blacks in the 80's.

The injury he sustained against France in the 'Battle of Nantes' in 1986 is bascially kiwi folklore.

"Shelford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19–7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and a French boot kicked his groin, ripping his scrotum and leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process.

After discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physiotherapist to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed. He was substituted and watched the remainder of the game from the grandstand where he witnessed the All Blacks lose 16–3."

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is that I liked the International Rules series Vs Ireland. When both nations played with best players available they were skillful and very competitive matches that attracted huge crowds at it's peak, over 80k in Ireland in 2006.

Hasn't been played for about 7 years now and I believe there are no plans to bring it back which I think is a shame.

It's our only chance to see all the best players in the one team out on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back