Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Touk Miller should have been charged with sexual assault and received a much harsher penalty.

In no other workplace would deliberately grabbing someone’s genitals be seen as acceptable.

No game in the world showcases an array of kicking more than Rugby League. Not even AFL. AFL has progressively homegenized into mainly the drop punt 99.99% of the time.

Rugby League sees an equal amount of...

Drop kicks, place kicks, torpedo punts, flat punts, checksides, snap kicks, drop punts, bombs, stab passes, snap kicks, grubbers (end over end as well as dirty grubbers and checkside grubbers), kicks off the ground once even twice, and whatever else.

I recall Jason Dunstall bringing this up a month or so ago, but I think it's an unpopular opinion, I was reminded of it because tonight Port seemed like one of those teams that likes to get in the opposition's faces (especially the opposition dedenders) when they give away a free kick, they get outmarked in a one-on-one, or they turn the ball over, directly leading to a score. No idea if Port's always like this or if it was just one of those things tonight.

I can't stand the flogs who had nothing to do with the play charging in and getting in the opponent's face, just because they can. I'd say that for a relatively minor example it's one warning during the game and then a free kick against.

Many or some, AFL fans are the dregs of society.

Celebrating injuries on Afl pages.

Wingeing about umpires - not making the effort to think weather or not a free kick is 'there' or not.

Not knowing the rules. The worst one - when you watch a game theres a constant white noise of 'booooo' its almost always because holding the ball hasnt been called. They dont understand the concept of prior opportunity.

Just not thinking in general.

But i know you can say that about other sports- supporters are just failed players

I don't see Collingwood over the last 2 seasons as anything more than a decent team playing with shitloads of confidence/belief. They've trailed at 3/4 time in nearly half (21/45) of all matches coached by McRae. Outstanding teams simply don't put themselves in losing positions with such regularity.

Many or some, AFL fans are the dregs of society.

Celebrating injuries on Afl pages.

Wingeing about umpires - not making the effort to think weather or not a free kick is 'there' or not.

Not knowing the rules. The worst one - when you watch a game theres a constant white noise of 'booooo' its almost always because holding the ball hasnt been called. They dont understand the concept of prior opportunity.

Just not thinking in general.

But i know you can say that about other sports- supporters are just failed players
TBF the holding the ball adjudication is absolutely and utterly ridiculous and totally counter to what it was for 100 years.
So boo it, boo it LOUD I say.

Touk Miller should have been charged with sexual assault and received a much harsher penalty.

In no other workplace would deliberately grabbing someone’s genitals be seen as acceptable.

Yeah one week is atrociously weak. Grabbing someone by the junk to the point of causing bruising is the same as a tackle which does no damage.

Rugby League Im pretty sure they start at 2 weeks and go up from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Collingwood over the last 2 seasons as anything more than a decent team playing with shitloads of confidence/belief. They've trailed at 3/4 time in nearly half (21/45) of all matches coached by McRae. Outstanding teams simply don't put themselves in losing positions with such regularity.
I was of that opinion when it started getting more attention around the same time (maybe a little earlier) last year. Like they came back from five goals or so in the last quarter to beat North, but it broke a long run of North getting absolutely thumped in matches. So you give credit for them in getting it done, but everyone else was putting their games against North to bed by half time. So what did that say about Collingwood?

But then some of those huge wins on their way to the top four and then the final series... we (Geelong) were in exceptional form, we played a great game and we still only beat them by a bee's d**k, in a game that clearly could have gone either way.

No they've gone on with it this year, they should cruise to the minor premiership, they probably don't have to win away from the MCG (or even leave Melbourne) from here to win the flag and they're by far the team I trust the most against anyone, anywhere, anytime this year. They've met every serious challenge this year for top dog status.

And yet there's still these games consistently where they just barely do enough to win against teams they should be belting and now they've got a bit of a losing streak and the extended absence of the Brownlow favourite to add to the mix. If I had to predict a team to win it from here, it'd still be them comfortably, but I probably wouldn't say they're odds-on anymore.

They have a better record against top 8 teams than most. Does percentage suggest they are pretenders?

We match up well on them, but we won’t be bothering them in finals, no need to devise a game plan just for us

Are you surprised?

There is a known racist who is second favourite to win the Coleman.

Any other workplace would have sacked him on the spot.

Gather round would make much more sense in NSW or QLD where they need to grow the game
Yes and no, from a game growth POV, of course you are right but traditional footy states still deserve to have some event's whether yearly or every couple of years as well. Vic has the GF plus a multitude of other high profile matches. SA, WA and Tas (when they come into the comp) should have something like gather round where they get to have footy events that don't just involve their home state teams and give them the chance to attend multiple games or events.

I recall Jason Dunstall bringing this up a month or so ago, but I think it's an unpopular opinion, I was reminded of it because tonight Port seemed like one of those teams that likes to get in the opposition's faces (especially the opposition dedenders) when they give away a free kick, they get outmarked in a one-on-one, or they turn the ball over, directly leading to a score. No idea if Port's always like this or if it was just one of those things tonight.

I can't stand the flogs who had nothing to do with the play charging in and getting in the opponent's face, just because they can. I'd say that for a relatively minor example it's one warning during the game and then a free kick against.
Brisbane were worse, but seem to be not as bad now.

The All Australian selectors should pick players in positions they predominantly play. This is a representative team, not a team you would pick to take on another side. It should be about also recognising those that aren't KPP or midfielders.

The All Australian selectors should pick players in positions they predominantly play. This is a representative team, not a team you would pick to take on another side. It should be about also recognising those that aren't KPP or midfielders.
I don't think that is unpopular at all. Who they pick on the wings, is the best example of this.
I would love to see an AFL coaches version of the AA team. Rule being that they cannot pick anyone from their own team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back