What was 'the moment' of 2012 Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

i_need_a_pencil

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Every year there is one or two moments that absolutely stand out as the biggest most important game changing and winning moments. Barry mark, Scarlett toe-poke etc....

The Lewis Jetta run along the boundary?

Dan Hannebury mark?

Goodes goal to get them in front?

Malceski goal to seal the deal?

I'm sure I've missed one, have had a couple.... but my vote would be the Jetta run against Rioli - would have been motivational for the players around him, and really got them going and attacking.

I thought the kick from not sure who late, that wasn't to the advantage of Birchall?

Just needed to be a little more towards the corridor so he could run onto it, Swans were able to play it to the boundary.

Can't remember who it was, but the Sydney player who had two Hawks defenders on him on attacking 50, but somehow managed to keep the ball alive while pushing it forward, eventually resulting in a defender losing his footing, allowing the Swans player to run into an open goal and tie the scores.

Schoenmakers and Gibson getting beaten by Mitch Morton (LOL) prior to Young falling over in the goalsquare to let K.Jack kick a goal with about 6 minutes to go!

This is what I meant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy failing to be a leader and taking the shot in the last qtr, instead he dished it off to a teammate closer but more of an angle for a another point!!

Can't remember who it was, but the Sydney player who had two Hawks defenders on him on attacking 50, but somehow managed to keep the ball alive while pushing it forward, eventually resulting in a defender losing his footing, allowing the Swans player to run into an open goal and tie the scores.

Morton I think it was, similar to the Christensen moment last year where they had no right to win the contest but did and it resulted in a goal.

sydneys spirit as a collective, no big moment stood out for me but this outlines what the swans are all about

Was it Jude Bolton who said after the game that the Hannebury mark was inspirational and team lifting?

Guess we can take his word for it, he'd know :)

Last quarter. McVeigh after the ball and man. Ball gets bumped a few metres forward and then he launched himself forward to the next contest. Loved it.

I thought the kick from not sure who late, that wasn't to the advantage of Birchall?

Just needed to be a little more towards the corridor so he could run onto it, Swans were able to play it to the boundary.

It was Shane Savage although he'd just taken a great mark that stopped a near certain goal.

I thought the Goodes goal gave the Swans the belief that they could win the game. I know it gave me the belief that we were gone.

nick the great beard malceski kicking the first and last for the swannies.

and gunston hitting the post.

Mmmm... I didn't really want to add this one in the OP, but it really was a BIG moment, that influenced the game. It's best to remember the winning goals rather than the losing missed goals. Feel for Gunston, will probably live with that for the rest of his life.

First Malceski goals was amazing/freakish also... good call. Had no right for that to go through.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was 'the moment' of 2012 Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back