what will hit league the hardest

do you think the pokie tax will hit as hard as super league? which would be worse?

• Super League

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Poker Machine Tax

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
what's happening with that pokie tax? granted i've been away recently, but i havent heard anything about it. Is Bob Carr still going through with his plans or has the backbench kicked up a big stink about it all? it's not in the news recently and i thought it would have been given O'Neill's planned assault on the game.

I dont know whats happening with the tax. But i dont think its gonna affect league at all, the clubs are just whinging because their bosses wont get as big pay packets. The truth is they have millions spare that they can spend on league anyway and if they cant then the clubs that arent finacially strong enough can move out of sydney and further the NRL's expansion around australia and NZ so either way it wont be anything bad for league.

No question here, it is SuperLeague easily. The Pokie Tax scheme will not cripple rugby league and junior sports as they say it will. This is being beat up by the CLubs Association and the RLFC's to stop the tax from coming in. True, it will limit the amount League's Clubs can spend on the actual RLFC but how much do they spend on the RLFC's anyway?
The Pokie Tax, if it even comes in will not even compare 10:1 to SuperLeague. I'd have the Bulldogs Salary Cap drama ahead of it.

Originally posted by Tutaki
No question here, it is SuperLeague easily. The Pokie Tax scheme will not cripple rugby league and junior sports as they say it will. This is being beat up by the CLubs Association and the RLFC's to stop the tax from coming in. True, it will limit the amount League's Clubs can spend on the actual RLFC but how much do they spend on the RLFC's anyway?
The Pokie Tax, if it even comes in will not even compare 10:1 to SuperLeague. I'd have the Bulldogs Salary Cap drama ahead of it.
so do you think it is an issue with the voters, particularly if the vast majority of people (including league diehards) believe it is just a scaremongering campaign, as opposed to one that will threaten the very existance of grassroots rugby league?

Originally posted by nicko18
so do you think it is an issue with the voters, particularly if the vast majority of people (including league diehards) believe it is just a scaremongering campaign, as opposed to one that will threaten the very existance of grassroots rugby league?
I think is is predominantly a political issue. In saying this, Aussie rugby league clubs need to run themselves without the benefit of pokie taxes. Rugby league clubs survive all over the world without this luxury and hopefully we will see Aussie rugby league clubs become even more benficial without the luxury of pokie cash.
As Shane Richardson said, the NRL season makes more then the RWC did yet some clubs were in danger of not making ends meet. How does this happen?

I think is is predominantly a political issue. In saying this, Aussie rugby league clubs need to run themselves without the benefit of pokie taxes.

That's about the strength of it. Pro sports clubs seem to cope operating off said sport everywhere else in the world.

Rugby League clubs in Australia would probably eventually be better off if they restructured a bit and aimed to run at a profit without pokie money.

Originally posted by Richoagain
That's about the strength of it. Pro sports clubs seem to cope operating off said sport everywhere else in the world.

Rugby League clubs in Australia would probably eventually be better off if they restructured a bit and aimed to run at a profit without pokie money.
Exactly. The NRL and the clubs are receiving massive sponsorship grants but Im not to sure where the money is going.

Rugby league clubs survive all over the world without this luxury
yes but are these professional clubs??

a disproportionate amount of NRL revenue seems to go to the players, thats why it costs so much to run a club. Compared to what income the players themselves generate for the game, they receive obscenely massive pay packets. Thats why outside funding is necessary to keep most clubs going.

if the tax hits the clubs hard then i say too bad.about time league started promoting the game instead of getting money from clubs.
crowds are growing every year and league is on the rise again.if teams are going to go bust cause theres no pokie money for them,that is good.get rid of the dead wood in sydney and at the same time they can spread the game to other areas by clubs relocating.

to be honest i think this could be the best thing for league.

Remove this Banner Ad

what will hit league the hardest

Back