What will our forward line look like and who will kick our goals in 2010?

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming no injuries of course, i reckon it will be something like:

F: Veszpremi White Goodes
HF: Meredith Grundy Barlow

Goodes will be our top goal scorer as he will be spending even more time down there i reckon, Johnston a big chance to come in next year but i dont think he'll start the year.

Goodes will be our top goal scorer as he will be spending even more time down there i reckon, Johnston a big chance to come in next year but i dont think he'll start the year.

Did O'Keefe retire too?

No, he just moved to the midfield.

Suspect we'll make it a priority to trade in a forward, even a really low key one, who can play from round one, as we need some experience up there besides Goodsey.

White Johnston Grundy
Meredith Veszpremi Monty- his bad form won't continue forever.
I would think monty at any time can be replaced by Bolton, Goodes, Bevan etc.

HF Grundy Johnston Barlow
F Vesz White Moore

I think Roo's will start Johnston next year from round one (Hopefully he has a good pre season)

Moore will hopefully run into some form at the back half of the year and with a good pre season (eg: Lots of fitness work get his running ability a bit more up)

We can also throw a resting Jolly up there or Goodes...

We still have options...

White Johnston Grundy
Meredith Veszpremi Monty- his bad form won't continue forever.
I would think monty at any time can be replaced by Bolton, Goodes, Bevan etc.

Remember Vonn we are trying to win games of football here....:eek:

I think Meredith will be far more likely to play in the midfield... not up forward...

White and Goodes should aim for 40 goals each. Grundy 30ish.

Yeh I know bonz but I dunno everytime he was listed as playing for sydney he was listed as HF but his never been influential but he has an AMAZING kick and amazing everything I guess alot of the guys can play forward in our midfield and besides no one stays in their respective spots unless it's defender so really I can see most of our mids like goodes jude monty blah blah blah going forward

TBH I've never seen Meredith crumb a goal..
So yeh maybe someone else.
But Moore was drafted as a midfield.

Heck, we have so Many mini mids it's not even funny just switch between them.. Known sydney love of congestion they will be up their anyway

Its going to be a real baptism of fire for him but Lewis Johnston has to be in the side come Round 1. It would have been nice if he got some time in the side with both Hall and O'Loughlin (as that would mean he would get the 3rd tall defender) but unfortunately that won't happen.

Johnston (who is a Key Forward but has no experiance at AFL level)
White (is a KP player but hasn't proved his worth yet in any one particular position)
Grundy (a KP player but looks like he is going to spend most of his career in defence)
Barlow (not a bad option and has potential in the forward line but in the next few years he could be much more useful in the midfield
Murphy (its hard to tellbut from reports he is being groomed as a KP defender however he has the athletic ability to do almost anything and he could become a key forward like Jack Anthony who was moved from defence to the forward line with quite a bit of success)
Goodes (can be extremely good in the forward line, has a good kick however can be a bit inconsistant and some may argue that he is much more important in the midfield)

are all capable of being tall forwards but unfortunately none of them are overally experianced in that area. Next year is going to be a big unknown as far as key forwards are concerned.

Everyone is forgetting Lewis Johnston, although has not played a senior game, he is our future KPF.

HF: P.Veszpremi H.Grundy J.White
F: D.O'Keefe L.Johnston E.Barlow

Goodes will still be our utility, throw him anywhere, but I think he will mostly play centre, along with Meredith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HF Grundy Johnston Barlow
F Vesz White Moore

This was basically the forward line what I was going to post.

I'm hoping Moore can turn his form around. I still see potential in him, but he needs to work a lot harder to unlock it.

Since next year will be a rebuilder, Johnston needs plenty of game time. Hopefully he gets 2-3 games at the end of this year, get him hungry for it. Then get him in the gym bulking up for next year as a key forward, hopefully from round 1 on.

I can see Grundy playing ROK's old role as the roaming HFF. Providing the link from defence to attack. Seems pretty fit and can take those contested grabs on the wing when we get forced to kick to a contest.

Barlow was good last weekend as a forward, just need to keep working hard really. And stop blazing away, taking selfish shots at goal.

I can't wait to see White released from ruck duties and played as a full time forward. Takes a good grab, is a lovely kick from 50 and has the physical presence that we will miss from BBBH.

I have been waiting impatiently all year for Sexpremi to get fit after I was very excited by what I saw last year. Everything has been said already, he's an excitement machine. We all know his future is in the midfield but playing 2010 mostly forward with a few runs in the middle will be great for his development.

Why I don't want the other players mentioned:
Goodes - Still too valuable in the midfield, but will rest up forward.
Buchanon - Hope he gets traded, doesn't have what it takes anymore.
Meredith - Should secure a bench spot as a rotating mid next year.
Murphy - Is a defender from what I hear
O'Keefe - Has turned into a damn good midfielder, would be wasted forward now.

Sexpremi hahahaha I love it!

Big H will play next year now that bazza's gone even if its only to take the heat away from white and johnston while they develop has a stronger body so will main take the main defender with goodes pushing down there aswell. Roos will ease these kids into and not put so much pressure on their shoulders.

I'M looking forward to the new look.

White, Grundy and Johnston (eventually) as the marking talls, plus Goodes if and when he's required there.

Barlow is coming along nicely; Thornton has great hands and a great spring, so will be extremely hard to match up on as a small forward option ... and then there's Vez.

Not forgetting J Moore, who WILL come back to seniors a better footballer.

ROK stays in midfield, where he's been quite dominant in recent weeks, and we fit some of the smaller, younger blokes in where required.

I can see Meredith as a classy running midfielder or wing; we won;t need him up forward.

Bring it on. It might take a year or so for everything to gel but when it does, all those now questioning Sydney's depth will be choking on their own short-sighted ignorance. We know who they are ... and we'll be reminding them often. Ringpieces.

Does anyone else think Grundy may become a permanent defender? His best position may be up forward but I can't see him squeezing in there alongside White, Goodes, Johnstone etc

Does anyone else think Grundy may become a permanent defender? His best position may be up forward but I can't see him squeezing in there alongside White, Goodes, Johnstone etc

I've always been an advocate for Grundy up forward, but I've got to admit, he's been doing well down back lately, and at the moment that's where we need him. Perhaps we could see him predominantly as a defender but able to pinch-hit up forward and make use of that vice-like grip to pull down a couple of marks.

I stuck this idea in the trades thread, but we could go after the guy who is leading the WAFL's goal kicking this year - Chad Jones. A guy who has never reached his potential with other clubs and is now a free agent.

From what i've heard from him this year on the radio and in the papers i think he will get another contract, most probably a one year deal. If he is to stay on i'd just want him to be a depth player/emergency list player.

Roosy gives an inclination to what our forward line will look like next year, and says it's unlikley we'll go after a big name recruit

White at CHF
Johnston at FF
Vez in pocket

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rf...departing-stars/2009/07/08/1246732378211.html

That's a great article, Roos showing faith in Johnston, White and Vez! I loved this part...

"What we need to do is be successful, or, if we make a decision as a club - and with the backing of the board - to make next year a 12-month rebuilding process, and then we go that way," Roos said. "As a football department, the main thing is whoever we bring in it has to be someone we think can play and, in terms of marquee players, I think it's got to be a bloke who can not only play but fit in with your team.

"Clearly, having 'Plugger' [Tony Lockett] and Barry Hall has helped the code and helped the brand and all those things, but I think equally the success of the team during those periods helped Hally and Plugger. If they were in bad teams, it probably wouldn't have made that much difference [to the profile of the game in Sydney], so one complemented the other in a sense."

Remove this Banner Ad

What will our forward line look like and who will kick our goals in 2010?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back