AFLW Whats next - 2019 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

36 players invited to the Draft Combine in october.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/aflw-36-draft-combine-players-revealed

ACT: Alexia Hamilton (Belconnen Magpies)

NSW: Brianna McFarlane (Coolangatta), Alyce Parker (Thurgoona)

NT: Danielle Ponter (St Mary's)

QLD: Lauren Bella (Bond University), Nat Grider (University of QLD), Jacqui Yorston (Wilston Grange)

SA: Nikki Gore (South Adelaide), Katelyn Rosenzweig (Central District)

TAS: Chloe Haines (Burnie), Libby Haines (Burnie)

VIC: Jordyn Allen (Dandenong Stingrays), Daisy Bateman (Oakleigh Chargers), Madeline Brancatisano (Northern Knights), Eleanor Brown (Sandringham Dragons), Lauren Butler (GWV Rebels), Mikayla Cann (Eastern Ranges), Georgia Clarke (GWV Rebels), Rene Caris (GWV Rebels), Tyla Hanks (Gippsland Power), Julia Harvey (Murray Bushrangers), Courtney Jones (Dandenong Stingrays), Katie Lynch (Oakleigh Chargers), Abbie McKay (Sandringham Dragons), Hannah McLaren (Oakleigh Chargers), Nina Morrison (Geelong Falcons), Madison Prespakis (Calder Cannons), Olivia Purcell (Geelong Falcons), Denby Taylor (Geelong Falcons), Sophie Van De Huevel (GWV Rebels), Rebecca Webster (Murray Bushrangers), Charlotte Wilson (Eastern Ranges), Emerson Woods (Eastern Ranges)

WA: McKenzie Dowrick (Subiaco), Sabreena Duffy (Peel Thunderbirds), Jasmin Stewart (Claremont)

Tas. female GR is "punching above its weight", regarding its population; & female AF is in its infancy there, regarding long term established, regular competitions.

WA & SA nos. very disappointing.
Qld. is also disappointing, considering its registered. participant nos. are almost as big as Vic. -& Qld. U18 girls had a historic win over Vic. Metro in the 2018 National U18 Championships.

Changing the topic, it is great to hear that when St Kilda joins the AFLW in 2020, it will play home games at its old spiritual home at Moorabbin. This in itself will probably drag in an extra, mimimum 3000+ fans.
For the same reason, why aren't Collingwood playing its games at Vic. Park?
The AFLW clubs, as part of their licence, are supposed to be promoting the AFLW AND GR female AF. Vic. Park would probably drag in an extra 5,000.

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-01/aflw-the-focus-for-next-moorabbin-project

Last edited:
It is deliberately set up so there will be 3 players at the combine per club come draft day:

NSW + ACT = 3 players exclusively for GWS, QLD = 3 players for Brisbane, WA = 3 players for Freo. SA + NT = 3 for the Crows.

Vic + Tas = 24 players split between 6 Victorian clubs equaling 4 per club to help replace depleted stocks and top up the two new teams with the two Tasmanian players exclusive to the Tassie/North recruiting pool.

What is different this year is the fact that the combine is only for girls who played in this years under18 competition and are eligible for the draft, whereas last year they invited mature age players too.

It is deliberately set up so there will be 3 players at the combine per club come draft day:

NSW + ACT = 3 players exclusively for GWS, QLD = 3 players for Brisbane, WA = 3 players for Freo. SA + NT = 3 for the Crows.

Vic + Tas = 24 players split between 6 Victorian clubs equaling 4 per club to help replace depleted stocks and top up the two new teams with the two Tasmanian players exclusive to the Tassie/North recruiting pool.

What is different this year is the fact that the combine is only for girls who played in this years under18 competition and are eligible for the draft, whereas last year they invited mature age players too.
I was not aware of this. This system seems very unfair for Qld., which has almost the same number of female players as Vic. -& Qld. U18's defeated Vic. Metro in 2018 in the National Championships!
Also, some "top" players may not have been able to play in the U18 Championships due to injury, study, or other factors.

THE AFL could restrict its women’s competition to an eight-week season next year, despite expanding to a 10-team league.

Players are up in arms about the plan, labelling it a “joke”, “disrespectful” and a “backward step”.

Some clubs are also concerned about fairness.

Eight teams played seven home and away games plus a grand final this year.

But the industry is bracing for a revamped fixture that could see teams compete across a six-week home-and-away season plus two weeks of finals.

Players are already training for next season, without being paid, and one player said their level of sacrifice for potentially such a short season was a “slap in the face”.

The AFLW’s new competition committee will have its first meeting next week.

[
THE AFL could restrict its women’s competition to an eight-week season next year, despite expanding to a 10-team league.

Players are up in arms about the plan, labelling it a “joke”, “disrespectful” and a “backward step”.

Hope the players continue to voice their displeasure; not having every team play each other once would indeed be a majorly regressive step. At best, trying to expand the AFLW but keep it as a two-month end-of-summer diversion is hopelessly naïve, but it's hard not to see it as demeaning also. Confining the relatively new league to the "pre-season" slot, especially alongside monstrosities like AFLX, shows a blatant disregard for what is in the best interests of the competition itself, both in terms of integrity, respectability, player interests and its prospects of public engagement (and thus commercial) success. Not that the last few months have exactly bolstered my confidence in the AFL to run anything remotely correctly...

Surely you EXTEND the season rather than SHORTEN the season.

10 teams, 22 rounds and 3 weeks of finals.

1-10-19.
2-11-20.
3-12-21.
4-13-22.
5-14.
6-15.
7-16.
8-17.
9-18.

Finals.

1 vs 8.
2 vs 7.
3 vs 6.
4 vs 5.

Winner of 1st vs 8th to play winner of 4th vs 5th.
Losers are out.
Then the winners of the next game go through to the GF.

Winner of 2nd vs 7th to play winner of 3rd vs 4th.
Losers are out.
Then the winners of the next game go through to the GF.

If that (finals structure) sounds unfair, then I completely understand.

Just saw Daisy's comments regarding the fixture. What a joke.

The AFL doesn't take the womens game seriously. It is all Fluff and no substance. Gil just doesn't understand how a sporting comp works. No legit comp in the world would have such compromised fixture.

I hope the girls win this fight.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to draft combine invitees. I think there would dozens of players good enough to be drafted outside this.
Watched several VFLW games this year. players that have impressed me are not on this list.

Let's be honest. AFLW IS a gimmick.

The VERY FIRST AFLW game, Carlton vs Collingwood. Both teams run out, go through their banners and get into their warm ups, next you hear loud over either the PA or Channel 7 going to a break to the song SISTERS, ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES. I howled with laughter, way to kill the credibility of something right out of the gate.

Gil not filling me with a lot of confidence that the AFL are really open to discussion about this, gonnnna get very... interesting.

I personally can't believe there isn't a solution out there that accommodates the interests of all major parties. AFL wants to fill a void in the sporting calendar, TV wants best possible ratings for their investment, players want a longer season and reasonable match conditions.

A snapshot of what I think that looks like (for 14 teams):
AFLW2020_zpsuvydileq.png

AFLW2020%20-%20Copy_zpsvfk5wrxq.png

I've said it before, there's heaps of space in November and December that the AFLW could be utilising. There's also Daylight Savings that can be exploited so that you can have games on in optimal hours for playing and spectating across the country, especially since games are easily done and dusted within 2 hours (currently). The possibilities for TV double headers, catering to local markets, and playing bigger fixtures at bigger stadiums before cricket season are wide open.

What I've come up with there are just a few rough ideas thrown together, and the logistics of plenty of things would have to be ironed out obviously--above all, somebody has to want to pay to televise it, and admittedly I'm not in the know so maybe that's the inescapable stumbling block. Still, what could be eh, from an outsider's perspective the whole damn thing is a no-brainer!

Let's be honest. AFLW IS a gimmick.

The VERY FIRST AFLW game, Carlton vs Collingwood. Both teams run out, go through their banners and get into their warm ups, next you hear loud over either the PA or Channel 7 going to a break to the song SISTERS, ARE DOING IT FOR THEMSELVES. I howled with laughter, way to kill the credibility of something right out of the gate.
Darn it, you're right. Annie Lennox and Aretha Franklin are the real problem.

Round 8 and 9 in your plan would have to be bye rounds, being the Christmas period. Also crowds will be down as families go on holidays.
I put in a week off for all teams between rounds 8 and 9. Playing on Dec 20-22 and Jan 3-5 with nothing in between equates to a substantial break compared to other sports.

And regarding crowds, BBL's numbers take off during school holidays, not sure there's any reason to be running scared of that period on the calendar.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Whats next - 2019 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back