Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanksgiving

Some awesome kills, but ultimately tropey and generic 5/10

The Fall Guy

An undeniably fun time at the movies. They shot the Sydney Harbour better in Anyone But You though (just saying) 7/10

The Insider (1999)

An incredibly effective, paranoid and well- made political thriller. The 90s Mann and Pacino combo were tapping into something deep 8/10

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F… it’s not bad, it has a decent mystery, some good set pieces and some good performances. But it’s a nostalgia piece, lots of familiar faces, lots of callbacks. Beverly Hills Cop was great because it was original and carried by the charm of Murphy. After 40 years, Murphy’s charm is reduced and so is the movie. It’s watchable though 6.5/10

Last edited:

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F… it’s not bad, it has a decent mystery, some good set pieces and some good performances. But it’s a nostalgia piece, lots of familiar faces, lots of callbacks. Beverly Hills Cop was great because it was original and carried by the charm of Murphy. After 49 years, Murphy’s charm is reduced and so is the movie. It’s watchable though 6.5/10
Actually was going to come to post about this movie.

The original was always pretty corny, mostly about Eddie telling his trademark jokes. Back then the racist, gay remarks were seen as in and funny. Can’t do that these days. Although this movie actually do a good job of treading the line but you know what? I wished it did. The censored, woke is really boring the days.

The action in the original was pretty basic but iconic. Beverly Hill’s Cop was never a masterpiece.

Think Axel F does a solid job, actually decent action and fun mystery crime piece. Does a great way of adding the original characters and their behaviours. It’s a popcorn laughter sort of movie, and that’s okay. Wouldn’t mind if they did a sequel and add in the young characters more and explore them.

Sleeping Dogs (2024) 7/10 - Staring Russell Crowe

Quite the enjoyable crime/thriller/mystery, really enjoyed it, slow paced but it's meant to be, felt like an 'old school' movie too which is always a bonus for me.

Page Eight (Netflix) - good subtle spy movie ..more intriguing talk than action movie. But excellent performance from Nighy and great supporting cast with Gambon, Fiennes, Weisz and so good to see Judy Davis again. Scenes with Nighy and Gambon together the highlight.

American critics were a little miffed at the anti American sentiment but sometimes the truth hurts. - 7.5/10

Inside Out 2

Enjoyable and fun with a touching message and an all-too-real depiction of certain emotions (won't spoil it) - and a return to form for Pixar although some argue the pandemic caused films like Soul to be underappreciated and do poorly at the box office.

Paraphrasing Joy here - "maybe when you grow up, you just experience joy a lot less" - f*** me that hurts

9/10

The Dive... another minimalist, existential dread thriller. Two somewhat estranged sisters go diving in a remote location, a rock fall traps one 28m below the surface, with the other sister having to try every desperate measure to save her. It's fine, the best moments are the lonely moments underwater and seeing them try every diving tactic to stay alive, the acting is patchy, the relationship show in flashbacks not fully realised. A watchable 6/10.

Anyone But You

Really enjoyed this. Glenn Powell is great, and Sydney Sweeney has to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

It's a predictable rom com, but it makes you laugh out loud despite how silly it is. And Bryan Brown is great. The final scene had my wife and I laughing a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Beverly Hills Cop is great. I think what sets it apart is Murphy has the ability to switch gears from his usual funny wisecracking, to serious. The films does take itself seriously. Added to that he's competent in the action, you can believe he's a fit copper that can handle himself in action.

It's a brilliant comedy but it's not just a comedy, it has a little bit of action drama underneath it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The Bikeriders… a good mid-budget adult film, loosely based on a photojournalist’s book, about the rise of a bikie gang in Mid-West US. Just solid, interesting storytelling, anchored by great performances from Tom Hardy and Jodie Comer. Austin Butker goes ok too, though his role is mostly to be a smouldering James Dean type. Michael Shannon is good as always too. Hits plenty of good beats to show how what started as just a group of outsiders hanging out together got away from them. 7.5/10

Beverley Hills Axel F

Had the soul of a 80's/90's film, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oddly I've never seen any of the originals nor a glimpse of it on TV back in the days.
just watched this tonight, really enjoyed it, a good fun movie

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F… it’s not bad, it has a decent mystery, some good set pieces and some good performances. But it’s a nostalgia piece, lots of familiar faces, lots of callbacks. Beverly Hills Cop was great because it was original and carried by the charm of Murphy. After 40 years, Murphy’s charm is reduced and so is the movie. It’s watchable though 6.5/10
Didnt want to finish it - had a blackout and by the time it was sorted I just thought nah

Its not terrible and its certainly a callback but its stale. Maybe its me but I barely raised a chortle.

Smashing 100 cars was so 80s. The plot was like cellophane - I saw through it and some of the cameos were awful

Maybe just maybe watching the 1st one before hand might have been better

Anyone But You

Really enjoyed this. Glenn Powell is great, and Sydney Sweeney has to be one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

It's a predictable rom com, but it makes you laugh out loud despite how silly it is. And Bryan Brown is great. The final scene had my wife and I laughing a lot.

Made the mistake of watching Anyone But You.
Terrible cliched Hollywood rubbish. 0 stars.

Well I don't know what to think.

For the record Cruyff14 it is based on Much Ado About Nothing so if you think it's predictable, it's because it has been in use for literally centuries. What matters - as you sort of imply - is how it's executed differently than others.

Well I don't know what to think.

For the record Cruyff14 it is based on Much Ado About Nothing so if you think it's predictable, it's because it has been in use for literally centuries. What matters - as you sort of imply - is how it's executed differently than others.
I am not sure what the other poster was expecting - it was never going to be a masterpiece of cinema.

It's something to kill two hours and enjoy.

Anyone But You is a fun, cheesy rom com.

Yeah not everything has to be a 3 hour critique of Nietzsche's perspective on Latin American society in the 19th century.

I haven't seen it yet but when it pops up for free on streaming I may chuck it on as a pleasant diversion.

Convinced the missus to watch The Kid Detective with me, which was good because I got to rewatch it.

Already posted it's a 9/10, but I also want to acknowledge than Adam Brody's acting is terrific, I took extra notice of him in particular scenes, and he's got chops, no doubt about it. Very powerful acting that's so good you don't even notice it the first time around.

Almost a shame his career is forever overshadowed by being the nerdy somewhat annoying kid from the OC for life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back