When are you sad sacks going to get excited?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunnar Longshanks

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
I just wish everyone would stop being so deliberately, and obtrusively downbeat about our form. I live in Sydney, and no-one shares my enthusiasm for our performances. I come onto a forum supposedly frequented by hardcore Eagles people and you're all a bunch of sourpusses.

Buck up! We're playing good football. Our 2nd tier midfielders are emerging. We've got a young CHF who looks every bit the genuine article. Our backline has continued to improve, and Wirrpunda, Cox, Hunter, Chick and Braun are all in career-best form.

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!!

We smashed Brisbane by 73 points and we're premiership favourites. There are no real heavyweights in the mix either. St. Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne don't have any real edge in big game experience.

We're good enough to go deep into September. Let's stop pretending that we think otherwise.

• Banned
Just look at our draw from Rounds 8 - 12:

St. Kilda at Subi
Collingwood at MCG
Port Adelaide at Subi
Richmond at MCG
Essendon at Subi

We will start very firm favourites for all those games. For any of those sides to roll us, they will have to produce a season-defining performance.

While I concede that there is every chance of us dropping 1 or 2 along the way, there's no doubt that WC have a massive window to establish a break on the rest of the competition.

12-0 beckons!

• Banned
coasting said:
Cue Black JuJu
Are you too cool to respond individually? So you "cue Black Juju"?

Is that a really edgy BigFooty 'in-joke'? Can I be in your Cool Gang? Please.....

I assumed people who bothered to post online were articulate, thoughtful types.

Evidently not.

• Banned
jod23 said:
One week at a time sunny....
Saying that doesn't change anything. It's not an argument. It's not an opinion. It's not even evidence that you have a brain.

"One week at a time" doesn't mean sh*t! That applies to the players, not the supporters.

We'll be 8-0 after this weekend and you'll be reciting cliches.

Do you think that your deliberate, moribund indifference will make WC play better this year?

Do you think that if you, GASP!, look a few weeks down the track, the entire side will suddenly implode as a result and lose the next 8 matches?

Lock in a top 2 spot.

Id love to be excited, but I just cant.

It's all the media's fault

Normally theyd be hyping us up, but apparently some other club has had its 17th "Best win ever" in it's clubs history. I dont think there is room for the excitement of both in the media.

This is just one more example of how the media picks on us. Now if you'll excuse me I must go find some Kleenex :D

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I just wish everyone would stop being so deliberately, and obtrusively downbeat about our form. I live in Sydney, and no-one shares my enthusiasm for our performances. I come onto a forum supposedly frequented by hardcore Eagles people and you're all a bunch of sourpusses.

Buck up! We're playing good football. Our 2nd tier midfielders are emerging. We've got a young CHF who looks every bit the genuine article. Our backline has continued to improve, and Wirrpunda, Cox, Hunter, Chick and Braun are all in career-best form.

We smashed Brisbane by 73 points and we're premiership favourites. There are no real heavyweights in the mix either. St. Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne don't have any real edge in big game experience.

We're good enough to go deep into September. Let's stop pretending that we think otherwise.
Excitement is one thing but running around mouthing off is another. I don't think there's one Eagles supporter who isn't excited. You obviously correlate excitement with trash talk. Joy comes from winning and results rather than talking it up.

We're all happy as Larry. Most of us don't need to run our mouths off to make us excited. 7-0, a genuine chance of a flag this year, and a young team that should pull us a flag in the next three years is all we need. If you want trash talk, go call your mum. She loves it.

bunsen burner said:
Excitement is one thing but running around mouthing off is another. I don't think there's one Eagles supporter who isn't excited. You obviously correlate excitement with trash talk. Joy comes from winning and results rather than talking it up.

We're all happy as Larry. Most of us don't need to run our mouths off to make us excited. 7-0, a genuine chance of a flag this year, and a young team that should pull us a flag in the next three years is all we need. If you want trash talk, go call your mum. She loves it.
My exact senitments.....

It's a long year....

Flopping in the Finals for the last 3 years, leaves a sour taste in my mouth....

I was devasted 2 or 3 years ago when we were entrenched in the top 4 and got belted by Pt.Adel (Round 17?) and we never recovered.

Have we peaked too early....

P.S. The missus will not be happy if the Eagles win another Premiership. On both occassions I have managed to be in the gutter, literally, by the end of the night.

Gunnar Longshanks said:

\

I knew you were sydney_eagle

TheReason said:
My exact senitments.....

It's a long year....

Flopping in the Finals for the last 3 years, leaves a sour taste in my mouth....
Fair enough too. But this year's different. We're not going to be limping into the finals and be forced to play a more experienced side away from Perth. That's what happened the last 3 years.

This year, we're going to finish top 2 in H&A and face off against other young sides with no real edge in big-game experience. The heavyweights of the past five years, the teams that have played the most finals football, are dropping off just as we're entering a 5-year window of opportunity.

I'm worried that we might sew up top spot after 22 rounds, only for Freo to finish 4th.

That would really suck. 1st vs 4th, and no advantage whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Fair enough too. But this year's different. We're not going to be limping into the finals and be forced to play a more experienced side away from Perth. That's what happened the last 3 years.
Just like what happened to us against P.Adel a few years ago, can happen now. What if Cox went down for the year (and Seaby's Hammies still play up)? What happens if 2 of our elite mid-fielders and Wirra go down?

Or worse, if Hansen does a knee, Lynch keeps dropping marks and McDud... McDougall doesn't rediscover form in the WAFL?

Yes we have good replacements but not bona fide game-breakers to replace them.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
This year, we're going to finish top 2
See my feeling above on P.Adel as I thought we where a shoe-in for top 2 that year.

Not trying to down-play the Eagles start to the season. I'm ecstatic, but my enthuism is tempered with the fact that we've had a easyish draw thus far and played some teams out of form / lacking confidence / injuries (yes I know you can only beat whose on the park). And my years of experience has told me to take nothing for granted.

So let me make something very clear.

When the Eagles win - it makes every weekend a joy to be alive & proud to be a supporter of the WCE through thick & thin.

When the Eagles Lose - My whole weekend is ruined, I'm a mess, I'm depressed & shattered. The missus sinks the boot in as well and tells me its only a game. She has no idea.

Welcome back Cosmic Starchild/Sydney Eagle, its been very quiet without you. As to getting excited I'd like you to look back to last season the Saints were 10-0 and flying and IMO looking alot stronger than we are now (at 7-0) yet finished in relativley poor fashion. Wait untill round 22 to start thinking about finals. As Woosha says, one week at a time :).

I accept that injuries could still derail our season. But that would just be bad luck. You can't plan for that, or somehow build that into your expectations.

Until something disastrous happens, we're well on track for a top 2 finish, and I intend to maintain that optimism.

Another element that gives me even greater confidence is the timing of our entry into the AFL's top bracket.

The heavyweights of the last five years, the teams that have played the most finals football since 2000 (Brisbane, Sydney, Port, Essendon) have dropped off just as we've stepped it up a notch.

Come September, we're not going to be lining up against battle-hardened teams with sh*tloads of big-game experience. We'll be fighting it out with Fremantle, Geelong, St. Kilda and Melbourne. These teams are at the same stages of their list cycles as we are.

Melbourne are slightly more mature, but this is offset by the fact that they've under-achieved since playing a GF in 2000.

While Geelong and St. Kilda played PFs last year, they don't have the genuine edge in big-game experience that Brisbane, Essendon and Port have in recent years.

This season, we're going up against sides at similar points in their arcs to us. They're young teams, all entering a 4-5 year window of opportunity at the same time.

Come Septmember, it'll be one young side against another, each hoping to build winning cultures from the ground up without recent successes to draw on.

That is something worth remembering.

Please dont talk about that dreadful Port Adelaide game in round 16 2003.

That game broke my heart and broke our promising season that could of possibly provided a premiership. Much alchohol was consumed that cruel season for me.

You guys argue a little too negatively towards each other.

Let the New South Welshperson have their excitement, imagin living over there with their footy enthusiam, its not too gigantic

otis_david said:
Welcome back Cosmic Starchild/Sydney Eagle, its been very quiet without you. As to getting excited I'd like you to look back to last season the Saints were 10-0 and flying and IMO looking alot stronger than we are now (at 7-0) yet finished in relativley poor fashion. Wait untill round 22 to start thinking about finals. As Woosha says, one week at a time :).
Can someone please inform me on the history of Big Footy WCE members?
I am a relatively new member and I joined the board when Sydney_Eagle/Cosmic Starchild left the board. Have they changed their user accounts? Any info would be of help. Oh and what’s happened to The Orange Apple, work too much?
I’m a student and tend to post on weekends.
P.S. Jod123, could I join the votes count?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Come September, we're not going to be lining up against battle-hardened teams with sh*tloads of big-game experience. We'll be fighting it out with Fremantle, Geelong, St. Kilda and Melbourne. These teams are at the same stages of their list cycles as we are.

I expect Port Adelaide to improve and they may be the danger in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

When are you sad sacks going to get excited?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back