When the going gets tough, who gets going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
Who takes it upon themselves when things aren't going our way? Who digs deep when we need it most?

The answer to both is Boomer, but who else? He isn't the solution longterm.

Given the momentum swing against the Bombers, and how we struggled to impose against Sydney and West Coast, this is a bigger issue than any 'game plan'.

IMO Ziebs, Basti and Goldy* are the ones.** These three are our most promising with the ability to dominate games and become 'elite' in the league, but dominating games isn't where it ends. These three to me are the ones who can find that final 2% when we need it in crunch moments.These are the guys to wrestle the momentum back when we need it and who should be told to step up.

I'm thinking Hird v West Coast in 2004, Bartel and Selwood last year in the GF, and Goddard, Hayes and Riewoldt the year before.

Thoughts?

*I'm aware TG has been out of form.
**I exclude Swallow because he while he gives 100% from siren to siren I don't perceive he has that final 2% to swing a game.

Lindsay Thomas used to have a reputation for being able to turn games upside down. I'm confident he will regain that reputation as he slowly regains confidence.

Jamie MacMillan is a smart player and a future leader. His mind operates more independently and as such he is more likely to keep his head up when other heads are down. He will one day be able to rally a team with smart plays that go against the flow.

Kieren Harper looks like a very opportunistic player and seems to give his team mates energy and enthusiasm. Not sure about his leadership skills yet.

Ziebell and Cunnington are capable of having one of those enormous games every once in a while but I feel that they are players who get caught up with their own momentum.

Looking forward to feeling through Luke McDonald and Majak Daw's influence on field and seeing how they celebrate goals.

swallow has been carrying us this year. Consistent performer in all games. Hamish, Hunter & spud have been handy as well.

I liked what I saw from Ziebell in the Geelong game. He obviously can do it.

I'd like to think the Levi would be the sort of bloke that in a Grand Final would just make a statement early on, and set the precedent. I've seen it on the odd occasion but it is few and far between.

Harper and Thomas for obvious reasons.

I'd love to see Drewy start clunking some of those big marks again. That was a game changer in a lot of games last year. A big spekky from Edwards can have the same impact if he is up and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

When the going gets tough, who gets going?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back