Ausgard

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I think after a loss in two (surely by about round 15 I reckon ;) ) and some changes are made (including Archer coming in) we will know who are on the outer with regards to the game plan and who will take their chances

Michael Stevens just couldn't have gotten injured at a worse time. Does anyone reckon he has a chance to press for selection ?

David Teague - well not even being an emergency has sure put him in the outer. To be honest at round one and looking at our defensive line I was really thinking that Teague was the most obvious omission when Archer gets back to 100%.

Corey Jones - Possibly fighting with Digby for the same position to be honest and so far digby by is showing the goods.

Dylan Smith - Seems to be in the outer of the outer. with nothing heard from him he may be gawwwwwwn. Bloody high draft pick so might be given a few more chances including another year

Shannon Motlop - On the outer but for the first time this year getting a look in as an emergency. Would prefer him in the team but at the moment just can not see where he could slot in other than on the bench as a utility player.

Ashley Watson - was impressive in the Wizza and has been named as an emergency ever since. Age and Size are probably the only things against him at the moment

David Hale - still probably not solid enough. Looks like the obvious sucessor to Rocca and so might be held back this year (maybe play a couple of games)

Rod Crowe - not even playing seniors for Port Melbourne (was named in the best in the reserves though) so he might still be a fair bit away

Other draft picks this year are probably a fair way away.

The ones who are playing but should be careful of their spot:

Harris - probably the number one player under the pump but Laidley will most likely give him 3-5 games just to give him a go. Didn't do a lot last week but still showed a bit

Morrell - Don't think Morrell and Jones will be in the same team so will be going for the same HFF spot. So far Morrell has stood up to the test

Robbins - Very classy to have him on the bench but has not been used nearly as much this year and not really sure what his role is in the Laidley game play. I rate him highly and would hope he can continue to play

Wells - most likely will get a rest at some point this season. Has looked good but hasn't got a lot of the ball. Could be dropped at any time with the reason that he is given a rest.

Rocca - can not really continue to run around the seniors lacking so much match fitness. Will be given a few more weeks to find his fitness again

D Motlop, S Clayton, S Watt, B Rawlings - all pretty unlikely to be dropped dropped anytime soon but could begin to look down the barrell with a couple of poor performances in a row

My IMO on the Outer

Ausgard - fair call pretty much across the board there - but I reckon Harris finally showed signs of having a RHG but he needs to lift his output. As long as the JYD keeeps the midfield rotating he's going to be a fair chance of getting a run off the bench.

My big IMO - is that Watt is way out of his depth. Would like to be proven wrong of course and would let the JYD give him another 2 matches to prove his worth. I'd be more comfortable with Baird playing at FB with the Anvil @ CHB. Baird may be no gorilla like a Micky Martyn but no task seems to big for this bloke. Luv the way he goes about his footy.

But if Watt plays a blinder in the next fortnight (no Lynch & no Brown tomorrow is his best chance to fire) I'll post a pat of the back and eat my words....but........I will sit and wait to be proven wrong.

i agree with most of your post but....

i don't think that jones and digby are similar players. jones is more a mid sized player. i think that at the moment he would provide more for the team than wells.

Re: My IMO on the Outer

Originally posted by Lidge
My big IMO - is that Watt is way out of his depth. Would like to be proven wrong of course and would let the JYD give him another 2 matches to prove his worth. I'd be more comfortable with Baird playing at FB with the Anvil @ CHB. Baird may be no gorilla like a Micky Martyn but no task seems to big for this bloke. Luv the way he goes about his footy.

But if Watt plays a blinder in the next fortnight (no Lynch & no Brown tomorrow is his best chance to fire) I'll post a pat of the back and eat my words....but........I will sit and wait to be proven wrong.

One thing that we should take into account is Dustin Fletcher. Tall Lanky guy who is hardly a Gorrilla but certainly is one of the best full backs in the league.

Perhaps Baird could be a full back in the Fletcher mould rather than the Mick Martyn mould (though I think Baird lacks a bit of Fletchers pace)

However in Watts defense he is still very young with very limited game time. While he has not starred in any of our matches he has not really done anything wrong either and if any position requires you to not do anything wrong as opposed to being a star it would be the full back

Originally posted by magoo
i agree with most of your post but....

i don't think that jones and digby are similar players. jones is more a mid sized player. i think that at the moment he would provide more for the team than wells.

I agree that they are not similar players but I feel they do play in the same position.

Both are going for the HFF position with Digby playing it as a tall and Jones playing it as a mid sized player.

Both types of players have their advantages and their disadvantages so it is difficult to some degree to compare the two side by side. Rather you look at the teams performance with one or the other in it.

All other things being equal (or in plain English, ignoring changes in form), there will be a couple of things that will affect those players who are on the outer and trying to force their way into the side.

The first is, naturally enough, injuries. I think coaches are generally reluctant to change a winning combination, but by the same token, it usually takes 3 or 4 bad games in succession before a player gets dropped. However, if a player does get injured, then it does open a spot. The next issue is that if that player does make it to the 22, the chances are that they'll be played off the bench (especially if they're a midfielder), so they will have to be very impressive to hold their spot. Still, injuries give the likes of Michael Stevens, Ash Watson, David Teague etc. their best chance of breaking into the 22.

The second is the "horses for courses" approach, and as much as JYD has stated that this will be his philosophy, a winning combination makes it hard to implement. Nonetheless, he did spend time under Malthouse and I seem to remember that Malthouse would drop players for match up purposes.

On the medium term horizon, that is, those fringe players who are competing to remain on the list, we could probably take the old Don Bradman method of "splitting two players" - does a given player have an extra edge over another player on the list? David Teague and Shannon Motlop may be the two fighting it out for a spot on the half-back flank, so what will be more important? Motlop's flexibility and skill or Teague's discipline and hardness at the ball?

I think Ausgard has got it right with the players who are on the verge of breaking into the side and those who should be wary of losing their places. The only one I would question is Ben Robbins - JYD would know from his time at Collingwood that you do need experienced players to help guide the kids, and Robbins is one of those players.

Re: Re: My IMO on the Outer

Originally posted by Ausgard
One thing that we should take into account is Dustin Fletcher. Tall Lanky guy who is hardly a Gorrilla but certainly is one of the best full backs in the league.

Perhaps Baird could be a full back in the Fletcher mould rather than the Mick Martyn mould (though I think Baird lacks a bit of Fletchers pace)

However in Watts defense he is still very young with very limited game time. While he has not starred in any of our matches he has not really done anything wrong either and if any position requires you to not do anything wrong as opposed to being a star it would be the full back
Good post which deals with the fact that you don't have to be a gorrilla to play fullback. David Dench was the best fullback I saw and he was above everything else a very good player who knew how to play to his given role. He didn't bash blokes, he just out played them. I don't think Watt will ever do that but I think Baird might.
Baird looks like being a very good player.
I still can't believe Watt is on our list let alone be in the senior team.
Brown is to slow for fullback but may be able to play center half back. Only problem there is that you would have 2 slow players in Brown and Colbert playing on the HB line.

Also I see M. Stevens, C. Jones and D. Harris all being of more use then Daniel Wells at this stage of his football life. Wells will probably be better then all of them put together but he is still just a kid and we should be thinking about winning games.

As the season unfolds JYD will get a better idea of who can play and who is holding us back.

Remove this Banner Ad

When we know who is in the outer ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back