Where does Mahela Jayawardene Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Sri Lanka knocked out of the World Cup against South Africa meant the end of Jayawardene's career

A lot of people talk about Sangakkara and where he ranks as a cricketer (the answer is pretty highly) but there isn't a lot of talk about Jayawardene. Here are his stats

Test Cricket
149 Test - 11814 Runs @ 49.84 (34 hundreds, 50 fifties) (Highest Score 374)

vs Bangladesh - 76.4 (5 hundreds, 2 fifties)
vs India - 67.5 (6, 8)
vs Zimbabwe - 60 (1, 3)
vs England - 58.2 (8, 10)
vs South Africa - 57.5 (6, 2)
vs New Zealand - 49 (3, 6)
vs West Indies - 44 (1, 4)
vs Australia - 33.1 (2 , 5 )
vs Pakistan - 32 (2, 10)

@ Zimbabwe - 63
@ India - 63
@ Sri Lanka - 60
@ Bangladesh - 59
@ Pakistan - 43
@ West Indies - 42
@ England - 36
@ Australia - 31
@ New Zealand - 28
@ South Africa - 27

One Day Cricket
448 Matches - 12650 Runs @ 33.37, SR 79 (19 Hundreds, 77 Fifties) (Highest Score 144)
(not enough reliable data to include runs against minnows)

vs West Indies - 42.3
vs England - 40
vs India - 35
vs Australia - 33.2
vs New Zealand - 33.1
vs Paksitan - 30.7
vs Bangladesh - 30.4
vs Zimbabwe - 26.6
vs South Africa - 22.4

@ West Indies - 45
@ England - 41
@ India - 39
@ Sri Lanka - 34
@ Australia - 31
@ New Zealand - 30
@ Bangladesh - 29
@ Pakistan - 26
@ South Africa - 20

Based on those numbers, where abouts would Jayawardenes career sit with some of the modern players (becoming harder and harder to compare modern and old players)

Wonderful player who'll be remembered fondly for his attractiveness at the crease.

Would hold a pretty similar position in history as Michael Clarke - great player, but not quite in legendary bracket as Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara. Would also expect the South African duo of de Villiers and Amla to relegate him slightly further once they get to their swansong.

Reckon that had they won the World Cup final after he dragged them to a competitive score with a gutsy hundred, the innings would have gone down in folklore. Sadly, it is now almost forgotten.

The fact he averaged low 30s against Australia (especially IN Australia) means we probably won't regard him as highly as others.

Unlike Sangakarra, I honestly can't recall a memorable "big" innings Jayawardne played against us.

Would hold a pretty similar position in history as Michael Clarke - great player, but not quite in legendary bracket as Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara. .

this is laughable.

first of all, clarkey is easily better than sangakara and tendaulker. i know he gets a bit of shit for being a try-hard knob but on batting ability alone, he is a superior player. he is also a far better captain and unlike those two, he never shied away from that responsibility.

to compare him with the likes of jayawardene is almost insulting. i reckon the likes of marto and boof are easily better than jaywardene, i mean come on...a batting average of 33? if an australian had that record, we'd have given him the boot ages ago.

why do we keep making threads for these subcontinental average-whores?

this is laughable.

first of all, clarkey is easily better than sangakara and tendaulker. i know he gets a bit of shit for being a try-hard knob but on batting ability alone, he is a superior player. he is also a far better captain and unlike those two, he never shied away from that responsibility.

to compare him with the likes of jayawardene is almost insulting. i reckon the likes of marto and boof are easily better than jaywardene, i mean come on...a batting average of 33? if an australian had that record, we'd have given him the boot ages ago.

Thilan Samaraweera was hard done by I tells ya!

this is laughable.

I hope you were drunk when you made this post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those stats have not changed my opinion about him, i thought he was a good player but against Australia i never saw him as a key wicket to get out.

However his innings in the 2011 world cup final is one of the better ODI innings i have ever seen.

Good player, great player of spin. Get him to work with our batsman before our next Indian tour.

@ Zimbabwe - 63
@ India - 63
@ Sri Lanka - 60
@ Bangladesh - 59
@ Pakistan - 43
@ West Indies - 42
@ England - 36
@ Australia - 31
@ New Zealand - 28
@ South Africa - 27

Very good subcontinent player but the bolded is a very big chink in his armour.

Great player, brilliant to watch, an excellent captain and played some terrific knocks under pressure.

His 120 odd in the 2007 World Cup semi final against NZ was inspirational and so was his ton in the 2011 World Cup final against India.

He made a very good ton in Hobart in the first innings of the game Sangakkara made his 192.

Like all Sri Lankan players got minimal test opportunities in Australia due to poor scheduling.

Ranking wise, you'd have him in the second tier of the greats to have debuted post 1990.

Wonderful player who'll be remembered fondly for his attractiveness at the crease.

Would hold a pretty similar position in history as Michael Clarke - great player, but not quite in legendary bracket as Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara. Would also expect the South African duo of de Villiers and Amla to relegate him slightly further once they get to their swansong.

Reckon that had they won the World Cup final after he dragged them to a competitive score with a gutsy hundred, the innings would have gone down in folklore. Sadly, it is now almost forgotten.

Completely agree with this, though I'd add Kohli to the list of guys who will push past him in time.

this is laughable.

I find your purpose on this forum rather amusing hahaahah yet pathetic :)

how did Clarke and the aussie batsman go against Aussie bowlers??? oh thats right they never played against their own team :) Aussie players including Clarke slaughtered very average bowling attacks haha

How did Michael Clarke do in knockout world cup games??? Lets see ay:

2007 world cup semi - 60 not out of 86 balls when Australia were chasing 150 to win in 50 overs.
2007 final - 8 not out

2011 quarter final when australia really needed him - 8

2015 quarter final when australia needed him - 8

ahahaha nah Jaya is much better than Clarkey ;) you can point to his inflated stats against piss weak bowling attacks (that is what you label those same attacks that Sangakara and Jayawardene play against so why not call a spade a spade when talking about Aussie batsman)...tossed out the line, the bait is ready...and GO...

Kohli and De Villiers can be judged at the end of their careers. Do we belittle Ponting. Gilchrist, Mark Waugh and so on for their lesser performances on the sub continent??? SO why do we need to have a crack at subcontinental players for their performance outside those conditions?

Whilst i agree the sign of a great is someone who does well everywhere....Jaya certainly hasnt performed as well outside Sri Lanka as he has in....its unfair to completely dimish his record cause he has performed so well in 18 years of international cricket. He averages 80 in knockout world cup matches... a century in a semi and a final? Great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Mahela Jayawardene Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back