Where is the bloody Joel Selwood thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great guy, much loved, much respected, superstar immortal of the game. I actually really like him when he puts a sentence together.

I imagine the convo at 7 went as follows,
Exec:
"Should we get Selwood? Tough player, champion, x4 premiership winner. Just a legend with massive respect."

Producer:
"Yep sounds great, can he speak properly and articulate his point of view?"

Exec:
"Who gives a fu$#?"

Producer:
"Maybe we should go for people who speak well and are professional in the way they approach their special comments, you know, like in the USA?"

Exec:
"You're fired di/%head. Australians only care about whether you were tough, a legend or won premierships, they don't wanna be educated on the game."

He struggled big time thursday night, sounded like a stuttering imbecile.

The embarrassment on his behalf was palpable in the box.

Even that meat riding slavering sycophant JB was thinking how the hell did this bloke get a gig speaking on TV.

Hope he goes coaching , Jobe is painful too but at least he speaks well, just dribble.

Selwood sounds concussed

All the respect for him as a great of the game, seems a genuine person and great guy , but farkn painful commentary

He is not good with words. But he is tough and good at footy and stuff. The scary thing is, he still sounded more articulate than Alistair Lynch, and Lynch has been in the bloody media for over a decade.

It's called last year, last week, notice the T, there is no such bloody word as larsh Alistair.

He is not good with words. But he is tough and good at footy and stuff. The scary thing is, he still sounded more articulate than Alistair Lynch, and Lynch has been in the bloody media for over a decade.

It's called last year, last week, notice the T, there is no such bloody word as larsh Alistair.

One of the great mysteries is how Lynch has survived in the media so long. Gotta have photos.

One of the great mysteries is how Lynch has survived in the media so long. Gotta have photos.
Ben Dixon holding even more prominent roles is more mystifying.

Richo has gone on for about a decade. Has never offered any insight or thought-provoking comment. He should be applauded for his ability to remain completely anonymous in a role where thought-provoking comments are kind of in the title - Special Comments.

As for Selwood, how could anyone cover his work if he were to leave. Such brilliant insight as "Footy at the G, eh?" is not easily replaced

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel a bit sorry for the bloke because there's obviously no screening for actual ability to do the role when hiring and he's on a hiding to nothing.

But yeah, to be kind, it's not the best role for him. Legend player, great guy, can likely do a different job footy related.

It makes you wonder if the reason he never failed a concussion test is because his baseline could be cleared by a moderately intelligent Labrador.
There are many rumours players lied in the baseline tests so when they were concussed they might still be able to pass their baseline

I don't think Joel was ever smart enough to think of this though

Richo has gone on for about a decade. Has never offered any insight or thought-provoking comment. He should be applauded for his ability to remain completely anonymous in a role where thought-provoking comments are kind of in the title - Special Comments.
I was only thinking about this the other day with Richo. Good bloke, but Holy Moses, what does he ever bring to footy discussions? I still chuckle at his suggestion that the reason players are missing set shots at goal was because the posts were too high. Amazing from a player who kicked over 800 goals in his career :)

I get the feeling he knows he hasn’t got it in him. He comes across embarrassed every time he ****s up, which is often.

See out the year (7 were stupid enough to hire him) and get into coaching.

He's only been in the spotlight for about 16 years so no wonder nobody at Channel 7 noticed he wouldn't be cut out for commentary. They give amateurs a bad name.

Jobe is beyond bad, but you can understand that his old man got him the job. Channel 7 went and got Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back