The state of AFL Commentary- a solution

Remove this Banner Ad

So lets do it. We don't need permission. It's simple to mute Kayo and play Twitch over the top.

Can you share some Matt Hill content?
The crowd source idea is an interesting one , have you seen this work in other sports?
I have a Dev background is there a technical challenge to solve or is it as simple as using twitch?

The crowd source idea is an interesting one , have you seen this work in other sports?
I have a Dev background is there a technical challenge to solve or is it as simple as using twitch?
So easy. Just use twitch or discord voice chat. The technical challenge would be precisely syncing to the Kayo feed, but that’s a later problem to solve

Unpopular opinion, but I'd let James Brayshaw bring his Triple M personality over to channel 7. That way we don't get '....WOW' when Steele Sidebottom kicks an all time goal late in a close Grand Final.

Jason Bennett continues to show everybody how it should be done. His call of Trent Rivers goal last night was textbook. Got excited at the right moment, then let the moment breathe with some silence. Followed up with an enthusiastic tone and let us know that was his first goal of the season.
It just sounded so natural and genuine, unlike the majority of them calling games these days.

I think the obvious solution is to replace the real commentators with AI to call the games in the style of late 90s Bruce McAvaney and Dennis Cometti (Sunday afternoon West Coast games only)

my vote is ditch all voice commentary and just have crowd noise - and have some AI solution that runs subtitles live to note which player has the footy and half a dozen live, subtle stats.

No need for boys club banter.

Treat it like tennis.
Jack Reiwoldt is trying extremely hard to be in the boys club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9a18bbb6-aa48-4f44-ad50-43b96efe6c1a_text.gif

The only reason this option hasn't become available is because the head honchos know that the absolute majority of viewers would opt to watch this way which in turn would put all of the boys club out of jobs
But they would save money. Head honchos value money over having beers with boysclub dont they?

*PS I'm also motivated to get rid of this horrific boys club Fox Footy culture. AFL coverage doesnt need guffaws from the likes of Lyon, Brown, Buckley, "Chief" (groan)

There's actual hilarious talent out there which would make listening to games a pleasure, not being subject to inside jokes from has-beens.

Let's just start with the actual strucutre of a commentary team :

1. Play-By-Play Caller (professional commentator)
2. Play-By-Play Caller (professional commentator)
3. Ingame Insights (former player)
4. Onground Updates (professional commentator)

We don't need anything else, at present they have 3-4 "experts" who fight for airtime by constantly speaking a gaggle of gobshite.

Jason Bennett continues to show everybody how it should be done. His call of Trent Rivers goal last night was textbook. Got excited at the right moment, then let the moment breathe with some silence. Followed up with an enthusiastic tone and let us know that was his first goal of the season.
It just sounded so natural and genuine, unlike the majority of them calling games these days.

Agreed, its why we need professional commentators instead of ex-players trying to top up their super.

Don't FoxFooty get the rights to commentate all games in 2025? Sooner we get an alternative to that Ch7 broadcast team the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back