Briedis

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2002
Casey, Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manly Sea Eagles, Wrexham AFC
What brand of bat do you use to smash those hapless bowlers each week?

I have a Gunn & Moore Purist. Bloody nice bat. Anything that touches the middle just flies to the boundary. It is a bit bottom heavy though so cross-bat shots can be a little more difficult. I reckon it's a very good bat for a player who is very correct in technique.

Unfortunately, a family member split it down the splice and I have to get a new bat. I might get the same one again, but I wondered if any BigFooty cricketers had some thoughts on what other bats are out there and how they handle.

I use a Kookaburra Gold Crown, all my gear is Kookaburra (except helmet and thigh pad). It comes off the middle very nicely, especially lofted cover drives, they fly away. The bat also flies nicely through the air. :p :(

Got a classy Kookaburra Ridgeback Superwand. Hasn't been used too well. I really should get more serious about my cricket.
Love the sport....hate slips fielders.:mad:

I have a Ulysses, made at Bat & Ball a few years ago.

I haven't used it for a while as i haven't played cricket. Might have to get out and have a hit this summer.

My choice of bat depends on whether I'm whacking or putting.

My friends tell me my golf game is improving. I'm down to a three step run-up now.

Wow, a few Kookaburra fans around here hey!

Anyone use any of the Slazenger bats? I really like sound of the V800. Anyone used one? It's supposed to have a good pick-up but still a nice sweet spot.

Originally posted by Briedis
Wow, a few Kookaburra fans around here hey!

Anyone use any of the Slazenger bats? I really like sound of the V800. Anyone used one? It's supposed to have a good pick-up but still a nice sweet spot.

I have used a Slazenger bat before. I decided one day to use a different bat. It was a Slazenger, and I think it was a V800, and although I prefer my normal Kookaburra, I still did score, and feel comfortable hitting shots with it.

I have a County War-Monga or Fearer or something like that (I probably should take more notice). I have always used County's - no particular reason, they just have the right bats for me...

Originally posted by Brett Li

Bat & Ball? In England?

No - the one in North Melbourne. I think it's called something else now.

It was, and indeed still is, a beautiful bat. And Viv Richards used one for a little while! :eek: :cool:

The bat that I use is a pretty rare one now days.

A Stuart Surridge Turbo 5 star.

Bloody great bat, was the last one ever sold in Australia because Slazenger took them over in England.

Holds huge sentimental value now, scored many a run in school and junior cricket, and is just starting to crank it up in the seniors. Scored my 1st ton with it last year in the seniors and dont think I could ever part with it.

Bat and Ball as it was then known is now The Greg Chappel Cricket Centre in Dudley St.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I use a fisher they are the best bats out in australia i belive that any batsman will have one of these in 5 years.There are specialy made for u and you tell him what you want.

Sorry but I really don't rate Fisher bats, have used them many times (In the nets when my bat was broken)

Really don't like them, spose when it comes to a cricket bat it really is each to his own though. Just not my cup of tea.

Fisher really does have a good setup on Willy road in yarraville though, doing very well for himself

A Fisher never heard of it. But judging from other people's responses and MSFC's avatar, is it possible that he likes style over substance? This is not my opinion, just a question.

Anyway my bat is a Fielke.
Handmade in Gawler South Australia, has a nice shape and balances well in the hands - umm apart from that I haven't achieved much with it.
I've used a couple of Fielke's previously though and they are quite handy - the fellow makes them specifically to suit you if you wish.
Good quality willow and great care is taken in the making. Not over priced either.

Originally posted by gPhonque

Not the middle i hope.

The edges are good to bowl at though.
Avoiding the middle is the only way to keep bowling, tends to get you in trouble when batsmen are skilled enough to work that out.

I played for Bentleigh, in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association, or the Victorian Junior Cricket Assocation, as it was then known. I played there for twenty years, from 1968. To my knowledge, Bentleigh are the most successful team in the competition's history, having won more Senior Division premierships than anyone.

It wasn't until I started umpiring VTCA cricket three years ago, that I found out how detested Bentleigh were by the rest of the competition. It's not just jealousy though. It appears we upset quite a few people over the years with sledging and the like.

We also probably upset a few people about twelve years ago, when we won a four day grand final and didn't allow the opposition a bat. It rained persistently over the first three days and we batted through what time was available, after the opposition sent us in. We had finished on top of the ladder, so the other mob had to beat us to win the flag. When we were still batting at tea time on the fourth day and our skipper, Geoff Tamblyn, declared our innings closed, it was no surprise the other team chose to concede. They were very unhappy at what they saw as a calculated insult, but hey, they did send us in. The rules were altered the next year, to prevent a re-occurence.

We have won a few flags since that one, including one against a team called Seddon. On the last day, with half an hour to play, it was obvious we were going to win. I was standing on the hill watching the game, with five other past presidents of the club, and we're starting the celebrations. To my eternal shame I said, "Does this mean that, after all, Seddon's done?" Aaargh!

Originally posted by skilts
I played for Bentleigh, in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association, or the Victorian Junior Cricket Assocation, as it was then known. I played there for twenty years, from 1968. To my knowledge, Bentleigh are the most successful team in the competition's history, having won more Senior Division premierships than anyone.

It wasn't until I started umpiring VTCA cricket three years ago, that I found out how detested Bentleigh were by the rest of the competition. It's not just jealousy though. It appears we upset quite a few people over the years with sledging and the like.

We also probably upset a few people about twelve years ago, when we won a four day grand final and didn't allow the opposition a bat. It rained persistently over the first three days and we batted through what time was available, after the opposition sent us in. We had finished on top of the ladder, so the other mob had to beat us to win the flag. When we were still batting at tea time on the fourth day and our skipper, Geoff Tamblyn, declared our innings closed, it was no surprise the other team chose to concede. They were very unhappy at what they saw as a calculated insult, but hey, they did send us in. The rules were altered the next year, to prevent a re-occurence.

We have won a few flags since that one, including one against a team called Seddon. On the last day, with half an hour to play, it was obvious we were going to win. I was standing on the hill watching the game, with five other past presidents of the club, and we're starting the celebrations. To my eternal shame I said, "Does this mean that, after all, Seddon's done?" Aaargh!

So anyway........which bat do you use?

Whose an idiot then. Rhetorical question. Wrong thread. Duh.

Used to use a Gray Nicholls, and before that a Don Bradman autograph Sykes bat.

I have a Ulysses, made at Bat & Ball a few years ago.
I had a Warrior, which was that bat they made before the Ulysses I believe. It was a very nice bat, for a couple of years.

I use a fisher they are the best bats out in australia i belive that any batsman will have one of these in 5 years.There are specialy made for u and you tell him what you want.
I too use a Fisher, great bat……I wouldn’t waste my money on anything else now. Any1 in Melbourne should do themselves a favor and at least check em out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which bat do you use?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back