Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Some clashes are made worse by changing Jumpers - not better.

Ironically Eddie McGuire is defending his black and white 'traditional' jumper yet it's been changed twice recently.

While the white stripes on black design is much better against the Kangaroos, the black stripes on white is much better against the teams with predominantly Black or dark blue tops.

and the new WCE home jumper is a clash with hawthorn - even though hawthorn had no clashes previously. Should hawthorn be forced into a new colour because of a non-traditional jumper.

I am starting to think the 'alternate' jumper is a non-starter and, unneccesary in most cases.

Why not concentrate on the worst clashes and try to work out a 'compromise' to be worn when the two sides meet. Totally ignore who is home and away as it has no significance.

Totally agree, should just concentrate on worst cases. Why should someone like Hawthorn have to wear an alternate jumper 11 games a year when it doens't clash with anyone?

Plus if they just concentrate on the worst cases, Collingwood and other clubs can still wear their traditional strip nearly every week.

Jumper clashes are embarassing and make the game a total laughing stock.

... and gormless club presidents who talk about 'tradition' and other such nonsense simply compound the problem.

Is Eddie McGuire (and others) happy to put up with losing games just so 'tradition' can be retained ?

I guess so, by the sounds of it.

What was I saying about laughing stock ?

cheers :rolleyes:

see! bulldogs have the best colours!
no one gets confused.
I reckon kangas and collingwood have the worst clashing colours.
thats why last year round 21 kangas played in different colour gurnseys.

The biggest clash is definately Melbourne v Fremantle - especially when Freo are at home. The jumpers are almost identical apart from the little bit of White and Green on freo's.

Collingwood and North is also a bad one when North where the long stripes.

Melbourne and Essendon is also bad

Let's debunk the tradition theory once and for all

Collingwood have had predominanlty white since the 20s when they had black and white strips. Now they go bac to predominantly black. This solves the clash with North (provided north have a predominanltly white 'alternate' strip but introduces clashes with at least three other clubs (Carlton, Essendon, Richmond) Perhaps the AFL should have got guarantees on this before allowing the 'new' collingwood strip. If Collingwood adopted the predominantly white shirt with white shorts and light socks then there would be no problem - OK Eddie ?

one other thing is many playets weer their 'traditional' tops not tucked in the white shorts (george best style) which makes the white shorts innefective as a differentiator. The practice of wearing short socks makes this worse. If this is to continue then perhaps they should change the shirt to be lighter in colour.

Essendon v Melbourne seems to be the worst clash as they both have red and white as well as black/navy blue. I suppose the GF made it more apparent for fans.

Yet Essendon recently wore red shorts and melbourne had a lighter shade of blue - so tradition it isn't exactly.

But heres the solution I thought of last GF day.

Neither side would be too keen to change their Dark shirt with a red sash or vee (especially if there were another GF). but surely the other things could be changed.

Remember these changes would be for this game ONLY.

Lets say Essendon adopts dark shorts and Melbourne white. Essendon then wear as much black as possible and melbourne wear as much red or white as possible.

Essendon dispense with the sash on the back of the guernsey. They have red numbers. They wear all black shorts and socks. They could even adjust the sash so it doesn't go over the shoulderso the shoulders are completely black

Melbourne wear white shorts and red or white socks. They wear white numbers or better still black numbers on a white panel on the back (that IS traditional) Shirts should not obscure the shorts

I reckon Dees and Dons are the worst. I heard that Essendon even got a goal out of this last week. One of the Dees defenders handballed it straight to Hird who, because his jumper was over his shorts, looked like a dees player. Roos and Pies are second worst.

For my club i sometimes have problems telling our players apart from the Dees.

For the spectators sake they need to do something about it. All clubs should cooperate and not make excuses to try to get out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Which colour clash is the worst ?

Back