Which new recruit are you most excited about?

• Sharenberg

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Freeman

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Marsh

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Langdon

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Adams

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • White

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Karnezis

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Armstrong

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DopeMaster

Fair Legend
Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Before beginning, this thread is all about which new players brought in over the offseason truly excite you the most, rather than the ones you think will ultimately be the best players. From highest to lowest, rank our recruited talent in terms of pure excitement factor. For me it is:

Sharenberg - Think he will be an absolute gem. He reminds me more of Pavlich than Goddard, exquisite kick, elite reading of the play (from all reports) and strong overhead. He can also play anywhere on the ground. I think we've got ourselves a keeper here, wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the best player in the draft.

Marsh - Who didn't bar up watching this guys highlight reel? A hail mary sure, but if we can get this guy consistently playing the type of footy he is capable of, he'll be draft steal of the decade.

Freeman -Just love his pace. Also love the fact he was picked the same number as Dangerfield and has some similar attributes. Do we dare dream he could become Dangerfield 2.0?

Karnezis - There's just something about this guy. Seems to have plenty of x-factor and is a great size. Could well turn out to be a dud, but i think he's got huge upside and might well surprise a few people.

Adams - Pushed down the list due to striking me as more a blue-collar type player. I think he's a near certainty to play a long and successful career, just doesn't have the same standout attributes to get me hot under the collar.

White - Could go either way in my opinion. He's got some great attributes, and fully firing and playing consistently could be a great addition to the team. I guess due to his age he's just a little less exciting than others because the phrase 'he could be anything' doesn't really apply.

Langdon - Down the list more due to my ignorance of him than any specific reason. Looked good in highlights vid, apart from that have no real comments insightful or otherwise.

Armstrong - Not even slightly excited about this character. However he will have my full support and hope he succeeds.

Scharenberg. Excited to see how he wil turn out. Can't see him becoming a Pav-type, nor the best player in the draft, but if he could turn out to be as good as Heath was (and will play a similar role) then we should be pleased.
Adams. I love midfielders, and I am hopeful that he will be our next inside mid workhorse for the next 10. Don't think he will be a star, but Ball levels would be great.
Marsh. Hard not to be excited. Long odds of turning into anything, but his highlights are great.
Freeman. Good speed, and that is always exviting. Skills okay, his kicking style and accuracy actually reminds me of a Scott Burns. I don't think Danger is the right comparison, but probably a Shuey type.
White. If he can hold down the third tall / second ruck role that Dawes / Lynch couldn't, it will go a long way to making Cloke more effective, and will deliver wins.
Langdon. Reasonable highlights, although we don't seem to need more half backs. Will look on with interest.
Karnezis. Seems more flash than substance at this point.
Armstrong. Don't think he will feature much, and doesn't seem to have much of a future.

Well going by Reports is Freeman and Adams. They both sound like they are having Great Off-Season and ready to make a Impact this season.

Adams will be the Back-Up for Ball and can Give Ball rest so we don't have to use Ball all the Time.

Freeman's Pace and Explosiveness sound very exciting and something the team has been Missing.

Scharaberg I don't know what to expect as he still can't Run or Train. Have to wait and see when he starts doing those things.

Marsh he will be an excitement machine down at the VFL. The Goal for him should be getting more involved in the game. If he can get his average up to 15 Touches a game at VFL Level during the year he might get a game ore 2 at AFL Level.

White should do okay, Better option at 25/6 years old then a 31 Lynch. Could be a Surprise Package next season alongside Cloke.

Langdon,Armstrong and Karnezis I need to see how they go early in the season

Adams by a mile, he's the one who will straight away make us a better team, I can't see any other recruit having as big of an impact in 2014 for us.

White would be next on the "immediate impact" list.

Obviously then there's the kids, with Scharenberg and Freeman leading the way, but if we are good enough in 2014 it will mean they struggle to get into our best 22 anyway.

Adams by a mile, he's the one who will straight away make us a better team, I can't see any other recruit having as big of an impact in 2014 for us.

White would be next on the "immediate impact" list.

Obviously then there's the kids, with Scharenberg and Freeman leading the way, but if we are good enough in 2014 it will mean they struggle to get into our best 22 anyway.

Well you always been a Massive Adams Fan and I can see why. Him having already 31 games and 2 extra Pre-Season does mean he should play Straight away.

I think we will play the Kids more this season as I think Bucks and Co see this as more a ReBuilding years by getting games in to the Kids Here. Sounds like it in this Article:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-01-09/fledgling-magpies

So I think we could see a Fair Bit of Freeman this season. Same as Beams in his Debut Season

It's hard to go past Scharenberg, but the fact that it'll be a slow build for him as he overcomes his foot issues makes me put my excitement on hold for the time being. Freeman and Adams are next in line, since there's a good chance that both may feature early in the year. Adams should be plug-and-play and Freeman looks physically ready (as far as 18 year olds go at least) and from most reports has impressed quite a few onlookers at training.

Not so much excited about White and Armstrong, just have immediate expectations of White to contribute meaningfully at AFL level and as far as Armstrong goes, hopefully he'll be serviceable but I don't hold out high expectations at this point.

I second Baltimore Jack's nomination of Broomhead though, who was good to extremely good at VFL level last year on the back of no preseason. As far as the yet-to-debut youngsters are concerned, Ramsay is another worth mentioning given he's also apparently enjoying a very good preseason.

Scharenberg. The kid is the kind of mobile and reliable bigger mid/utility that we need.

Freeman should bring some much needed pace to our side as well, very keen to see what he can do.

We drafted really well in terms if meeting needs, excited for all of them really.

It's hard to go past Scharenberg, but the fact that it'll be a slow build for him as he overcomes his foot issues makes me put my excitement on hold for the time being. Freeman and Adams are next in line, since there's a good chance that both may feature early in the year. Adams should be plug-and-play and Freeman looks physically ready (as far as 18 year olds go at least) and from most reports has impressed quite a few onlookers at training.

Not so much excited about White and Armstrong, just have immediate expectations of White to contribute meaningfully at AFL level and as far as Armstrong goes, hopefully he'll be serviceable but I don't hold out high expectations at this point.

I second Baltimore Jack's nomination of Broomhead though, who was good to extremely good at VFL level last year on the back of no preseason. As far as the yet-to-debut youngsters are concerned, Ramsay is another worth mentioning given he's also apparently enjoying a very good preseason.

Welcome Back Mate. Have not see you on here for Ages.

Yeah I think 2nd Half of the Season or even next season got Scharenberg to see what he can do.

Surprised you are not a Big Adams fan mate. Adams sounds very promising and will help take a lot of Pressure off Ball. Ball is coming up to being 30 years old and you can't rely Ball to do everything. People are saying that Adams will be as good as Ball or even Better. Also Adams can go now with his 3 AFL Pre-Season and 31 AFL Games. What is it that does not make you excited about Adams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome Back Mate. Have not see you on here for Ages.

Yeah I think 2nd Half of the Season or even next season got Scharenberg to see what he can do.

Surprised you are not a Big Adams fan mate. Adams sounds very promising and will help take a lot of Pressure off Ball. Ball is coming up to being 30 years old and you can't rely Ball to do everything. People are saying that Adams will be as good as Ball or even Better. Also Adams can go now with his 3 AFL Pre-Season and 31 AFL Games. What is it that does not make you excited about Adams?

Howdy Dave...

May not have been entirely clear above, as I'm certainly excited about the arrival of Adams, particularly given he can contribute from round one and along with Josh Thomas provides us with a succession plan for Ball.

With contested possession becoming more and more critical, the more contested ball winners we can have running through the middle or even resting forward the better. What I'm most interested in seeing with Adams will be how well he uses the ball once he has won it in close. Most expect him to win good numbers, which is no doubt a great start, but I just want to see us start putting together some cleaner, more dynamic clearances.

As wasteful as the team was on that last kick inside 50 last year, I felt we also hacked/bludgeoned the ball out of stoppages a fair bit as well, whereas the better performed teams string a few touches together and open things up.

Howdy Dave...

May not have been entirely clear above, as I'm certainly excited about the arrival of Adams, particularly given he can contribute from round one and along with Josh Thomas provides us with a succession plan for Ball.

With contested possession becoming more and more critical, the more contested ball winners we can have running through the middle or even resting forward the better. What I'm most interested in seeing with Adams will be how well he uses the ball once he has won it in close. Most expect him to win good numbers, which is no doubt a great start, but I just want to see us start putting together some cleaner, more dynamic clearances.

As wasteful as the team was on that last kick inside 50 last year, I felt we also hacked/bludgeoned the ball out of stoppages a fair bit as well, whereas the better performed teams string a few touches together and open things up.

Well going by the Highlights that been put up:

You see him Finshing quite well in front of the Big Sticks. I see Adams more a type of player who would get more Handballs then Kicks as he be mostly in and under packs getting the Ball Out. Bit I seen his is a Okay user of the Ball. Nothing Speacial but does not turnover very much. Tacking is also what I liked as he always tried to lay a Tackle if he Could.

I see what you mean by don't want to Butcher the Ball out of the Clearnce's. As I said I think he is Okay User of the Ball

Well going by the Highlights that been put up:

You see him Finshing quite well in front of the Big Sticks. I see Adams more a type of player who would get more Handballs then Kicks as he be mostly in and under packs getting the Ball Out. Bit I seen his is a Okay user of the Ball. Nothing Speacial but does not turnover very much. Tacking is also what I liked as he always tried to lay a Tackle if he Could.

I see what you mean by don't want to Butcher the Ball out of the Clearnce's. As I said I think he is Okay User of the Ball

What, you mean they didn't include any shots of him missing shots on goal in his highlights package...??

To be honest, the thing I tend to not like about highlights packages, is that they are all goals or speccies. Nice to see, but not useful when getting an idea of what type of player someone is.

For someone like Adams, I want to see highlights of him in contested situations, crashing in and delivering out, tackling, etc. I don't need to see the one speccie he has (and will do) in his career. Or the three goals he has kicked in his career of 31 games. Show me what he is like and what he does well, rather than just goals or marks (unless that is what he does well, e.g. Howe, Cloke, etc).

Sharenberg - Long term I think this kid should go on to be one of the stars of the game, was the one I hoped we drafted and glad we got him. Most excited about him but will take a couple of years given foot issues to overcome this season. See him as a defensive general who might go into the midfield eventually.

Adams - The traded player I am most excited about, still developing but has great maturity and should be a top mid for us, cherry ripe for post Ball and then Swan.

Freeman -The new draftee I am most excited about for the immediate future, I expect him to have a impact this year. Man body, elite pace, great competitor.

White - Super athlete for his size, has strength, pace, skill, finally showed what he is capable of in the finals last year and we obviously think (and really hope) he can go on with it this season. If he does, he could be the AFL trade of the season.

Marsh -Super exciting, super raw, could be a freak or could be a failure, the most tantalizing and speculative pick in a long time.

Karnezis - Has plenty of what we need, pace, height, skill. Question marks over desire and courage need to be answered but, could be a very good pick up if he applies himself and gets the very best out of himself at Collingwood.

Armstrong -Another player who definitely has talent but has question marks over his desire and courage for the hard contest. Probably a depth player, he gets his chance here to prove the doubters wrong.

Langdon - Mature age pick, speculative but has some claims if he can continue his marked improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back