Which player out of this group has the better career? The group inc. Pendles, JPK, Selwood & Danger

Which player out of this group has the better career?

• Scott Pendlebury

Votes: 83 32.8%
  • Josh P. Kennedy

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Joel Selwood

Votes: 128 50.6%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 21 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He plays counter to the spirit of the game, ducking into tackles to win frees.

He tried to get Gibbs in trouble on the weekend by initiating contact with a lowered head and then throwing himself to the ground to exaggerate contact.

Luckily the tribunal didnt fall for his bullshit.

He is a disgrace. So is any player who plays, stages and ducks for frees. ADELAIDE PLAYERS INCLUDED. so dont bother scouring the internet for examples where Adelaide players have ducked into a tackle or played for a free, Id agree they did a shit thing.

Im not sure if there is a player in the comp who plays for more frees than Selwood.

Its floggish behaviour and not tough. Which is a shame since Selwood IS tough and has proven his toughness. Why he has to do this crap on top is a mystery.

Ducking is legal and a broken part of game that probably should be abused more until something is really done about it

All guns obviously. I think Dangerfield is the odd one out here, he is a few years younger than the other three isn't he?

I love JPK but I'd probably rank Selwood first, Pendlebury second and then JPK. Selwood and Pendles were better for a bit longer. They all had similar peaks though, close to Brownlow favouritism, either won or went close to winning a Norm Smith, numerous AA's, B&F's etc.

All three would make a team of the decade for the 2010's and will go down as club greats and walk into the HOF.

I'd wait a few more seasons before deciding where Danger sits relative to them.

All guns obviously. I think Dangerfield is the odd one out here, he is a few years younger than the other three isn't he?

I love JPK but I'd probably rank Selwood first, Pendlebury second and then JPK. Selwood and Pendles were better for a bit longer. They all had similar peaks though, close to Brownlow favouritism, either won or went close to winning a Norm Smith, numerous AA's, B&F's etc.

All three would make a team of the decade for the 2010's and will go down as club greats and walk into the HOF.

I'd wait a few more seasons before deciding where Danger sits relative to them.
Pendles started in 2006, Selwood in 2007, Danger and JPK both debuted in 2008 as did Cotchin and Ward

I suppose the best way to say it is if I was going to draft one of Pendles or Selwood as a 19 year old again to a team with no guarantee of being successful or not I'd pick Pendlebury. Great footballer
Funnily enough the 2007 Rising Star award was a contest between Selwood and Pendelbury, and Selwood won 44 to 37, with Nathan Jones 3rd on 17 votes

JPK was let down by his team in grand finals, Selwood walked into a super team as a baby.
Not really so. He walked into a team full of potential but perennial flops. Those in the know say Selwood's maturity and professionalism in his first year was one of THE driving forces behind Geelong finally breaking the premiership drought in 07

Are people really going down the 'more flags = better player' path?

Not even saying you can't pick Selwood as the better player, but to be using flags as the reason is the worst possible reason to use. Probably more than any other sport in the world individual contribution have relatively the least amount of impact on team success.

Are people really going down the 'more flags = better player' path?

Not even saying you can't pick Selwood as the better player, but to be using flags as the reason is the worst possible reason to use. Probably more than any other sport in the world individual contribution have relatively the least amount of impact on team success.
thread title is better career, not better player, it's fair to look at things like flags

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I guess but I feel like the intent of the question is who's the better player. Otherwise just rattle off the achievements and be done with it.
i mean I think it's a bit early as they are all still playing so time for any of them to change the way their careers are looked back on

really comes down to how you individually rate a career, winning flags doesn't make you a better footballer, just a more successful/lucky one as far as getting that flag

been quite a few amazing footballers that never got that flag, hell some never even got to play finals

Selwood - better captain
Kennedy - better big game peformer
Pendlebury - more talented player

Take your pick who you want, not really a "wrong" answer- but I'll stick with Pendles thanks.

(I think Danger is too young and should be compared to the next group: Fyfe/Martin)

Selwood - better captain
Kennedy - better big game peformer
Pendlebury - more talented player

Take your pick who you want, not really a "wrong" answer- but I'll stick with Pendles thanks.

(I think Danger is too young and should be compared to the next group: Fyfe/Martin)

I wouldn't disagree that Kennedy has been great in big games but Selwood was outstanding in 3 of his 4 grand finals - the exception being his first. Even in the two prelims we've lost in the last two years he's had 39 and 34 touches which is high even by his standards.

There are so many different ways you can look at this question, which makes it interesting.

I think we can settle on Dangerfield's peak being the highest. I haven't seen the other 3 reach the level he played at in 2016/17.

But Selwood, Pendlebury and Kennedy would be 3 of the best game game players of the last 20 years. All have flags, Pendles has a Norm, Joel and Josh have both finished runner up. Their finals records are outstanding, and although Pendles has been away from it for a while, I'm incredibly confident he'll remind everyone this year how well he handles the brightest lights.

Dangerfield doesn't have the Finals pedigree of the other 3.

The team wasn't super before Joel joined the midfield - missed finals in 2006.

Lot of changes 2006-7, can’t attribute that all to Selwood, no? Was a part of great sides, wasn’t the (sole) reason they were great. Unquestionably an absolute topliner, though, not denigrating him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't disagree that Kennedy has been great in big games but Selwood was outstanding in 3 of his 4 grand finals - the exception being his first. Even in the two prelims we've lost in the last two years he's had 39 and 34 touches which is high even by his standards.

And Pendles has a Norm Smith.
You could apply all 3 attributes to all 3 guys, i was trying to break them up slightly.

Ducking is legal and a broken part of game that probably should be abused more until something is really done about it

Ridiculous. There are MANY things that are not necessarily legislated against but which are counter to the spirit of the game.

Can't beat a career that contains three premierships. Joel Selwood isn't a flog. An example of non-flog behaviour is he goes out of his way to remember the names of all the players family members and greet them at the games.
I always find it interesting when someone notes a player's quality by referencing premierships.
Because I dont think that the reverse holds, that the quality of a player is lessened by NOT having played in a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which player out of this group has the better career? The group inc. Pendles, JPK, Selwood & Danger

Back