Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

In my time and watching my club, Barry Stoneham, Matt Egan, Daniel Menzel and Paul Lynch.

Jason Snell went alright too until he busted his leg.

Adrian Campbell - mangled 3 out of the 4 ligaments in his knee. Horrific injury.

We had to throw his 17 year old understudy into the team to cover him. A kid called Chris Grant.

Jake Stringer had a broken leg before being drafted and developed a broken work ethic after the 2015 season.

Could’ve been anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my time and watching my club, Barry Stoneham, Matt Egan, Daniel Menzel and Paul Lynch.

Jason Snell went alright too until he busted his leg.
That whole Menzel draft was ridiculously unlucky for us. It was Nathan Vardy, Daniel Menzel, Allen Christensen, and Mitch Duncan. Arguably the least talented player of the whole lot was the one who will wind up with 2 flags (hopefully more), and probably 300 games.

But yeah, Coleman is the clubhouse leader by a long way for this thread.

Was pretty much the injury which had coaches decide they just didnt want anything to do with SoO. Sheedy had already been keeping his "injured" stars out of SoO.
I think that's slightly overblown to some degree - State of Origin still had massive star power in 1993. It was really the decline in crowds that killed it.

I would have loved to see how Hawkins would have went if he never had the back problems that almost finished his career.

You look at him before that he was jumping through packs to take marks e.g 2011 GF and look at him after he barely got off the ground on the very rare occasion he tried.

Dunstall would have easily been the goal kicking record holder without his head injury and later body breaking down.
Mm, I think that's a bit much, given that he played good football well into his 30s and had his best-ever year post the injury. I don't think he lost that much compared to the median footy career.

John Coleman and GAJ are the obvious ones.

One didn’t even play 100 games and GAJ would be in GOAT convos if he won 3 Brownlows. Alas it was not to be.

John Coleman and GAJ are the obvious ones.

One didn’t even play 100 games and GAJ would be in GOAT convos if he won 3 Brownlows. Alas it was not to be.
FFS mate stop stirring the Cats fans. It's boring now.

GAJ is the goat.

Anyway, from my mob it's Nathan Brown. He was tearing games apart before the broken leg.

Allan Jakovich for mine.

Understand it was a different era for forwards kicking bags but still...

• For the dees he played 47 games for 201 goals, averaging more goals than Gary Ablett and and Gordon Coventry in his time there
  • Kicked 50 goals in his first 9 games, breaking Colemans record for least amount of games to reach 50 goals
  • Kicked 100 goals in his first 21 games, equaling a record from 1901
  • Had the 10th most scoring shots in a game in AFL history in his 9th game of football, kicking 11.8
  • In his 4th to 9th career games he kicked bags of 8.8, 6.2, 6.7, 8.5, 7.4 and 11.8= 80 scoring shots in 6 games of football in his debut season
  • Obviously, if he could kick straight he would've been even more impressive, kicking 208.173 for his career including games of 4.9 and 4.10.
  • Still ended up the overall 12th highest goals per game average in history despite only playing 54 games total and being injured

Back was stuffed, took a whole year off in 1995 after 47 games and was done after a mini stint at the dogs when he was cooked at 54 games.
Off topic so apologies.

Did anyone ever hear the story of Allan Jakovich placing some bets at a TAB near the Whitten Oval when he was at the Bulldogs? Apparently told the attendant he had left his wallet back at the club or something along those lines. The attendant in good faith put through all the bets for him, the ponies were all duds and he did a runner never to return. Such a ridiculous story but hilarious all the same if true. His name being mentioned happen to remind me about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back