Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Kerr, top 3 in the brownlow 3 years in a row, 2 of which he had a better points per game than the winner, but played less games. Final year of those three he was 24 years of age.

The following years he played 11, 11, 4, 16, 24 and 10. The team imploding didn't help, but the most banged up player i've seen in Eagles colours. Just couldn't stay on the park.

If concussion / 12 days in a coma and 3 months recovering in hospital, ALL due to being assaulted (kinghit behind play)...if that qualifies as an INJURY then Greening "wins" this topic easily.

He was Judd, Jezza Howe, Nick Daicos and Isaac Heeney (without the blonde locks) all rolled into one package. Often kicked goal of the week and took mark of the week in the same match he was that good.

Kicked 7 playing as a midfielder one day...who does that sort of stuff?

Johnny Greening, if you haven't looked him up yet...give him a look.

Adding my voice to the Nathan Brown throng - was in the mix for a Brownlow/Coleman double. Ridic.

I'll also mention Brad Boyd. Was one of the last Roys rays of hope and probably gets Brisbane a fourth flag if fit.

There is one really interesting one, with a twist,.he is already one of the greatest.

Barry Robran is considered the greatest South Australian footballer. The stories about him are Legion. He also destroyed his knee, and never came back as good. It destroyed his career. He did his knee at 26 years of age. Imagine how good he would have been if he had of played another 6 years at the same quality as the previous 8.
He would have been the Don Bradman of AFL.

I hope not Christian Petracca.

Love this topic. For me there are 4 that stand out from the pack by a long way and these are the criteria I judge that by

1 Played early and were immediately top shelf
2 Careers shortened by injury before they reached their prime
3 When injured they were either the dominant player in the comp or strongly in that argument
4 Careers over as young footballers but achieved enough to still be rated champions

In order of when they played

A. John Coleman

Debut 20 yo, 98 games , 537 goals, 5.48 goals a game
100 goals in debut season. Yearly goal tallies 100, 120, 75, 103, 97.
Next season played 6 games for 42 goals, av 7 per game , did his knee and never played again.
Played in an era that was not conducive to big totals by FFs, no one else at that time rivalled him
Was 25 yo when career finished and clearly no 1 player in the comp

B. Peter Hudson

Debut 1967 having just turned 21 coming from Tassie, kicked 57 goals
Next 4 seasons went 125 goals, 120, 146,150
Round 1 1972 had 8 goals just before half time, thats right 8, did his knee and didnt play again that year
1973 came to play 1 match from Tassie, helicoptered to ground, kicked 8 goals, only game of season
1974 2 games did knee , surgery and back to Tassie
1977 lured back by Hawks for 1 season, lived in Tassie?, hardly trained, kicked 110 goals
Never played again in VFL but dominated in Tassie
VFL av 5.64 goals a game, highest ever, Coleman 2nd
Was just 26 yo when did knee in 72

C. John Greening

Debut 1968 at 17 y and 5 months old
Played 97 of the next 98 games CFC played, missed 1 game only after his debut
Became the most exciting player the game had seen for ages with high marking, goals, cat like on the ground, speed. Had it all.
Was immediately a star
standout type games would be as an 18 yo in his 19th game against Carl the reigning premier kicked 7 golas from HFF. in 1970 as a 20 yo had a 50 possession game in an era when 20-25 was excellent for a mid.
1972 as a 21 yo he went to another level and was torching the comp. Jim O'Dea cowardly king hit him behind play and put him in a coma. He was leading the Brownlow. Essentially never played again

D Neale Daniher

Debut 1979 as 18 yo , 23 games won VFL recruit of the year, the rising star of the day
1980 Picked in the state team for Victoria and an established star
1981 Ess B&F and as good a player as any in the comp
Round 20, his last ever full match before his knee, he was swung forward in last Q against Carl, who would win the flag that year, and won the game off his own boot. 99-98
Next week did his knee, ACL for 1st of 4 times
As a 21 yo, with an ACL , was still appointed Capt of Ess in 1982. This was in a team containing the likes of T Daniher, his older bro, Watson, Madden, Van Der Haar, Neagle, Fletcher etc who were all older than him.
Never got to play a game as Capt
4 knee recos and 16 games over the next 9 seasons he tried to get back

I don't think there are any others that can match these 4. Even Schwartz wasnt in these guys league.

Love this topic. For me there are 4 that stand out from the pack by a long way and these are the criteria I judge that by

3 When injured they were either the dominant player in the comp or strongly in that argument
4 Careers over as young footballers but achieved enough to still be rated champions

A. John Coleman

Next season played 6 games for 42 goals, av 7 per game , did his knee and never played again.
Played in an era that was not conducive to big totals by FFs, no one else at that time rivalled him

B. Peter Hudson

Round 1 1972 had 8 goals just before half time, thats right 8, did his knee and didnt play again that year
1973 came to play 1 match from Tassie, helicoptered to ground, kicked 8 goals, only game of season
1977 lured back by Hawks for 1 season, lived in Tassie?, hardly trained, kicked 110 goals

C. John Greening

Became the most exciting player the game had seen for ages with high marking, goals, cat like on the ground, speed. Had it all.
Was immediately a star
standout type games would be as an 18 yo in his 19th game against Carl the reigning premier kicked 7 golas from HFF. in 1970 as a 20 yo had a 50 possession game in an era when 20-25 was excellent for a mid.
1972 as a 21 yo he went to another level and was torching the comp. Jim O'Dea cowardly king hit him behind play and put him in a coma. He was leading the Brownlow. Essentially never played again

D Neale Daniher

Debut 1979 as 18 yo , 23 games won VFL recruit of the year, the rising star of the day
Round 20, his last ever full match before his knee, he was swung forward in last Q against Carl, who would win the flag that year, and won the game off his own boot. 99-98
As a 21 yo, with an ACL , was still appointed Capt of Ess in 1982. This was in a team containing the likes of T Daniher, his older bro, Watson, Madden, Van Der Haar, Neagle, Fletcher etc who were all older than him.

I don't think there are any others that can match these 4. Even Schwartz wasnt in these guys league.
This is a great effort, I think Allen Jackovich sneaks into this category.

I always wonder what Liam Jurrah would or could of been.

This is a great effort, I think Allen Jackovich sneaks into this category.

I always wonder what Liam Jurrah would or could of been.
Jackovich is more the wasted talent but I dont think he ever was great long enough to be anywhere near these guys. They were all best in the comp. Jackovich debuted as a 23 yo when Greening and Danihers careers were over by 21. He had 4 seasons of senior footy, NTFL, SANFL and WAFL to ground himself on.

Greening, Coleman, Hudson and Daniher is a massively high bar and as exciting as he was Jackovich doesnt get near them IMHO

Jackovich is more the wasted talent but I dont think he ever was great long enough to be anywhere near these guys. They were all best in the comp. Jackovich debuted as a 23 yo when Greening and Danihers careers were over by 21. He had 4 seasons of senior footy, NTFL, SANFL and WAFL to ground himself on.

Greening, Coleman, Hudson and Daniher is a massively high bar and as exciting as he was Jackovich doesnt get near them IMHO

Poor old Jako is about four rungs below the level of those others GC and you're just too nice to say it

Yeah this is fair I am not well educated enough on him to differ.

Great post. I saw every Essendon game in 1981 and saw Neale Daniher at his very best. The game he was injured in, Sheedy had moved him into the midfield. He had about the first 3 or 4 clearances of the game before the injury.
I’m also old enough to just remember John Greening taking over the comp, and the shock of his injury.

A. John Coleman

B. Peter Hudson

C. John Greening

Was immediately a star

D Neale Daniher

I always wanted to see Brad Smith get a good run at it for West Coast played 140 games for Subiaco for 530 goals and had 2 knee reconstruction while on eagles list which was a shame to see. A bit of a late starter for afl but you could see he was too good for the wafl level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit I'll add about Jako was a direct comment from Malthouse in a private admission. He stated Jako was the one player he had ever coached (up until then at least) who simply could never be replaced in a team.
He was just 19 in West Coasts 1992 premiership. He was playing WAFL CHF at 16. He was the All Australian CHB '94 and '95 at just 21&22 years of age. The next year at just 23, he wrecked his knee, lost his mobility and was never the same.
Yet despite that and what most people never put together in the timeline, he still dominated one of the arguable GOATS of all time CHF's (Carey), during Norths success period, on one bloody leg!!
I'll back Micks opinion on just how incredible he was and would have been in history bar that bloody knee!!

John Coleman
Sadly cut down not only in his footy career but in his short life too, aged just 43 or so when he passed. Peter Hudson could have been sailing towards 1300+ goals but for his bad knee in Rd 1 1972, an era when knee recos were in their infancy. Did well to kick a ton in 1977 after playing in Tassie for a few years.

Dan Menzel for sure, 2011 he looked a thrilling prospect but 4 knees destroyed his mobility.

Greening had a 50 possessions game, a 46 possession and 6 goal game, 45 and 4 goals game all in his teens and very early 20s. An act of cowardice took away a player who could have been up there with the greatest of all time.

Brad Dick was a deadly fwd pocket cut down early.

The "greats who could've been greater" is an interesting category, Salmon is an excellent example. Massively dominant,that 80s Bombers outfit was incredible despite Neale Daniher and Salmons injuries. ND was the most skilled of the four brothers, TD a consistent high quality leader and the best of them but Neale looked to be on another level.

I'm told Polly Farmer wasn't the same after doing his knee and for many still the GOAT ruck.

Phil Carman did his foot halfway through 1975. Came second in the Brownlow from 10 and a half games. Lost his way a bit but he says himself he was a loner, so maybe the injury wasn't the problem.

Dick went on to be a star for Rumbalara in Shepparton. Got them a maiden flag against Finley. Kicked the winner for them too with about a minute left on the clock.

Was also a really good bloke off the field.

Another I dont understand if it was mental illness, or addictions issues (to pies) was

As far as wasted talent goes, that would be another good list.
Adrian McAdam would have to be up there.
Adam Saliba is another random one. Could have been the next Andrew Jarman.

Another I dont understand if it was mental illness, or addictions issues (to pies) was

As far as wasted talent goes, that would be another good list.
Adrian McAdam would have to be up there.
Adam Saliba is another random one. Could have been the next Andrew Jarman.
Phil Carmen springs to mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Which players would have been the best if not for injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back