Opinion Which retired player would thrive in today’s game?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
Norwood
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
Nostalgia aside, think about players from the past: maybe someone with exceptional skills, leadership, or versatility. Who would dominate in the modern AFL landscape?

Aside from the obvious players we're all going to agree with. I'd say:

4X premiership player Grant Birchall would absolutely thrive in the modern game. I liken Dan Houston to Birchall.

Nick Revolting, Wayne Carey would, Paul Kelly and Peter Matera, Michael Long, actually lots would.

Lindsay Gilbee’s kicking would kill teams with how important ball movement and distribution from defence is now

Brent Harvey and the St Kilda Tip Rat

Matthew Richardson

Shannon Grant would absolutely dominate as a forward mid. I can't think of a similar comparison.

Mostly the CHFs I think so Richo, N Riewoldt, Pavlich, Carey etc

The slow FFs get doubled/triple teamed but the mobile ones like C Curnow, J Cameron dominate the comp still.

Shannon Grant would absolutely dominate as a forward mid. I can't think of a similar comparison.

Peter Daicos would thrive.
Bartlett, Ablett Sr, Quinlan, Flea Wilson, going back further in time and I never saw him play but at 5ft'11 and an exceptional endurance athlete with terrific foot skills . . . Dick Reynolds would have probably made the transition quite effortlessly.

Nostalgia aside, think about players from the past: maybe someone with exceptional skills, leadership, or versatility. Who would dominate in the modern AFL landscape?

Aside from the obvious players we're all going to agree with. I'd say:

4X premiership player Grant Birchall would absolutely thrive in the modern game. I liken Dan Houston to Birchall.
WTF. Grant Birchall did play in the modern era, he only retired a couple of years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a better question would be which player would thrive in todays game that perhaps didn't quite thrive in other eras.

For instance going the opposite I think Tom Hawkins would have kicked over 1000 goals if he started his career in 1984.

Daniel Bandy.

Andrew McLeod what a gun.

Given they'd have the same training, conditioning, preparation, it'd be natural skill that would stand out. So I think few past stars would really struggle. Maybe players like Plugger or Dunstall who just sat in the goal square wouldn't do quite as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Which retired player would thrive in today’s game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back