Remove this Banner Ad

B - Toovey, Tarrant, Maxwell
HB - Harry O, Reid, H.Shaw
C - Thomas, Pendles, B.Johnson
HF - Didak, Cloke, Beams
F - Blair, Dawes, Macaffer
Foll - Jolly, Swan, Ball

Int - L.Brown, Sidebottom, Wellingham, Dick

The above is a predicted pies best team...excluding N.Brown who I would play.

The bolded players are IMO the 'bottom six'.

B.Johnson - has had multiple top 3 finishes in the BnF
L.Brown - helped by the rules, now a vital member of the team
Dick - an excitement machine, prefer him to Krak and Leon
Toovey - unfashionable but gets the job done every week
Macaffer - when fit is best 22, provides another lead up option
Blair - he is averaging over 2 goals per game....say no more

They are great....but the real strength is in the top end.

Swan and Pendles are currently 2 of the top 5 midfielders in the comp.
Jolly is top 5 ruck
Harry and H.Shaw are the best defensive rebounding combo

It is the top end where we excel.

I don't think it's Collingwoods depth ( although it is very good ), or list that is the reason they are winning games. They are extraordinarily well drilled and coached. Makes it all the more absurd, that Buckley is taking over next season.

Collingwoods depth has gone from a top 8 VFL side to a bottom 2 side.

A few injuries will hit harder then 2010

Melbourne's bottom six from tomorrow's game:

Bennell
Watts
Morton
Wonaeamirri
Martin
Dunn

I'm not too displeased with that. We also have McKenzie and Scully to return who would knock probably Jones and Bartram into the bottom 6.

1. Collingwood
  2. Geelong - Have lost quite a few players over their dominant period, would easily be number 1 had they not
  3. Saints
I think it's fairly open after that

Surely you're kidding?

1.Collingwood
2.Geelong
3.Essendon - we dont have a lot of superstars on our list but we have a decent bottom 6 which is why i believe we are doing quite well at this stage

Melbourne's bottom six from tomorrow's game:

Bennell
Watts
Morton
Wonaeamirri
Martin
Dunn

I'm not too displeased with that. We also have McKenzie and Scully to return who would knock probably Jones and Bartram into the bottom 6.

Rohan Bail's been very impressive so far this year but would you really have him ahead of all of the 8 players you've listed on the back of 14 games?

Freos is surprisingly good. The pies are still the best though.

As for the dogs I can't really work out our bottom 6. Not sure on the best 22 at the moment.

Memo to fellow Collingwood supporters: if you have Ben Johnson in your bottom six you don't really understand our team structure and are still living in 2005.

One of the most underrated players in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats the point in even starting a thread like this? everybody knows collingwood has incredible depth.....st kilda couldn`t win a flag in recent times because their bottom 6 were so poor.... its quite obvious collingwood have the best bottom 6

1.Collingwood
2.Geelong
3.Essendon - we dont have a lot of superstars on our list but we have a decent bottom 6 which is why i believe we are doing quite well at this stage

I agree with this. Essendon's top 6 would have to be one of the least impressive in the afl but their depth of good players is superb IMO. Everyone seems to play their part well. All they need is a few players to really rise to that top 6 level and they'll be genuine contenders.

Memo to fellow Collingwood supporters: if you have Ben Johnson in your bottom six you don't really understand our team structure and are still living in 2005.

One of the most underrated players in the league.

:thumbsu: Guy is such a gun, hideous head and used to have a terrible kick, but thats all changed.
Well not the hideous head, but you know

A better question would be 'what is your teams bottom six?'

I'm inclined to put it closer to players 20-25 on your list, which is probably a more accurate indication, given the standard injuries that hit every team.

Geelong (based primarily on 2011)

1. Selwood
2. Chapman
3. Bartel
4. Scarlett
5. Enright
6. Ottens
7. Kelly
8. Johnson
9. Taylor
10. Duncan
11. Lonergan
12. Corey
13. Wojcinski
14. Milburn
15. Ling
16. Podsiadly
17. Menzel
18. Hawkins
19. Stokes
20. T. Hunt
21. Mackie
22. J. Hunt
23. Byrnes*
24. Christensen
25. Mooney
26. West
27. Guthrie
28. Simpson
29. Motlop
30. Gillies
31. Hogan
32. Drum
33. Blake

* I can't have Byrnes higher than 23, since he hasn't played this year. 26-33 are the other players on our list who have played senior AFL football.

It will generally be the premiership team. Collingwood's bottom 6 would probably include L. Brown, Krakour, Davis, McCaffer & Toovey and 1 of another half dozen players that are too good to be called a bottom 6. I couldn't make a call between Beams, Johnson, Blair, Ball, Wellingham and a maybe a few others. If Goldsack played he'd be the 6th but I can't see him in a fully fit 22 at the moment - and he can play. Seems harsh having Ball there and given his B&F ranking I'd expect a lot of disagreement but that's the point. Even the worst player getting a game performs a valuable role and occassionally has a big impact.

Brown is pretty important the way the side works but he is easily the worst footballer in the regular 22. His relief ruckwork and strong body serve a purpose though. Likewise McCaffer was very important late in 2010 and through the finals.

Seen a few nominations for Blair. I can understand why given he hasn't played many games but on performances he's moving well out of the bottom 6 right now. Has to keep it up but I think he'll play 150+ games.

I agree on what your saying here but some coaches just know how to interact with individuals better. Malthouse is the best in the business at getting the most out of players because his ability to disect and interact with different personalities.. Yes alot of it is skill and determination, but I don't think anyone can safely say that losing Malthouse will not have an effect on the level at which the players play.

Surely you jest. 25 odd years coaching for 3 flags, a decade with a virtual state side in Perth and coaches by far the richest and most well resourced club in Melbourne. Best in the business my foot. This time last year half of you were calling for his head. :rolleyes:

I've said for years that Collingwood's list is under rated and the coach over rated. Hard to argue with MM at present though.

I'm sure Pies fans will disagree, but aside from a fairly short list (Pendlebury, Swan, O'Brien, Jolly) I don't actually rate their list that highly. A lot of very solid, dependable players but not that many out and out guns. They are an exceptionally fit and well drilled team, and each of them has a job to do and does it well. But I don't think they have anything like the list of A-graders of some of the other dominant modern teams, including Brisbane, West Coast and the Cats.

A related question - would Pies fans agree that their depth after their best 22 drops off pretty sharply at the moment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team has the best "bottom six"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back