Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

No Sheezel in the middle to do the heavy lifting. Got absolutely pantsed today.

I'm getting concerned about George. Seems to always be second to the ball, gets sucked into the contest and exposed on the outside. Just seems like he either has poor footy IQ or his timing is just completely off (I'm guessing the latter as I rate him highly ball in hand).

Don't know about Wardlaw, he still young and I think will be an excellent player.

As for North's list as whole, they're not as good as they think they are.

Not sure why Phillips isn't getting a game, maybe he'll be a lot better at another club. Wouldn't mind him at Hawks but I think we're sorted for mids.

Don't know about Wardlaw, he still young and I think will be an excellent player.

As for North's list as whole, they're not as good as they think they are.

Not sure why Phillips isn't getting a game, maybe he'll be a lot better at another club. Wouldn't mind him at Hawks but I think we're sorted for mids.

Wardlaw will be a gun (body permitting). Not sure if he's going to be a big accumulator-type but definitely plays like a guy who can change the game in a five minute burst.

His manager reached out, but yes, itā€™s not like we need him.

No Sheezel in the middle to do the heavy lifting. Got absolutely pantsed today.

I'm getting concerned about George. Seems to always be second to the ball, gets sucked into the contest and exposed on the outside. Just seems like he either has poor footy IQ or his timing is just completely off (I'm guessing the latter as I rate him highly ball in hand).

Almost as if he has barely played in the last 6 weeks.

Almost as if he has barely played in the last 6 weeks.

Seems to be something he's been battling for a while. Just hasn't looked as sharp as he did pre-bye.

Newcombe was the same earlier in the year. Worked into the season nicely. Not uncommon for young players hampered by a niggle.

Do North fans still think hitting the draft again is the solution?

If Rawlings has any brains, theyā€™ll trade their top pick out this year for extra picks to send to other clubs for quality older players.

We keep hearing that their older players arenā€™t good enough. Well, unless the cycle changes, weā€™ll be saying the same thing in 5 years after the likes of Wardlaw, Mck and others have been ruined and have become themselves the problem for their next generation of kids.

If Rachele leaves does that move North ahead of Adelaide? Or has that already happened, as in, North having the better youth already.

Do North fans still think hitting the draft again is the solution?

If Rawlings has any brains, theyā€™ll trade their top pick out this year for extra picks to send to other clubs for quality older players.

We keep hearing that their older players arenā€™t good enough. Well, unless the cycle changes, weā€™ll be saying the same thing in 5 years after the likes of Wardlaw, Mck and others have been ruined and have become themselves the problem for their next generation of kids.
Itā€™s about balance imo. We need experience but we also need to address list holes. And we need to take into account the lack of generational talent at the top of this years draft.

We have SFA KPFs and small forwards.
There arenā€™t any great key forwards to trade in, and even if there were, we arenā€™t the leagues most attractive destination.

We also donā€™t need a shitload of draft picks to attract a couple senior players like Parker.

In an ideal world, Iā€™d split 2 for two of GC or Freoā€™s first rounders, use one for Armstrong, and the other for Houston if we could entice him over, or draft Joe Berry if we canā€™t.

Maybe get another KPF like Gerreryn with our second rounder.

Make a solid bid for cheapish experienced types in positions of need like Joe Richards, as well as a bona fide leader like Parker.

I think something like that is the way forward.

A pretty selective history lesson from you.

Of interest, what did they end up doing from 2016 onwards?

Ah yes, trading valuable picks for Jordan Lewis, Hibberd, Jake Lever and Stephen May.

Kids get you nowhere on their own.

Out of interest, who does North trade for with their pick?

Pretty much impossible for us to trade for anyone worthy of Pick 2.

It would be ideal to get in a 24-27 year old gun in for Pick 2 but we also cant get into the trap of a Pick 2 for Lachie Weller type situation.

Realistically weā€™re not going to bounce up straight away. The kids need 70-100 games if theyā€™re gonna do it without the experience.

If we get experience, it will be players over 30 that can help us late in games and can be acquired for cheap draft capital.

Itā€™s about balance imo. We need experience but we also need to address list holes. And we need to take into account the lack of generational talent at the top of this years draft.

We have SFA KPFs and small forwards.
There arenā€™t any great key forwards to trade in, and even if there were, we arenā€™t the leagues most attractive destination.

We also donā€™t need a shitload of draft picks to attract a couple senior players like Parker.

In an ideal world, Iā€™d split 2 for two of GC or Freoā€™s first rounders, use one for Armstrong, and the other for Houston if we could entice him over, or draft Joe Berry if we canā€™t.

Maybe get another KPF like Gerreryn with our second rounder.

Make a solid bid for cheapish experienced types in positions of need like Joe Richards, as well as a bona fide leader like Parker.

I think something like that is the way forward.

The need for a small forward has stuck out like dogs balls for North.

Makes it all the more strange that you didn't select Watson.

Duursma will most probably be a gun but you guys have plenty of 185-189cm medium forwards like Curtis and Zuurhaar. Unless you selected him because of what he could project as a midfielder but it's not like you're running short of midfielders either.

A really weird selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The need for a small forward has stuck out like dogs balls for North.

Makes it all the more strange that you didn't select Watson.

Duursma will most probably be a gun but you guys have plenty of 185-189cm medium forwards like Curtis and Zuurhaar. Unless you selected him because of what he could project as a midfielder but it's not like you're running short of midfielders either.

A really weird selection.
Small forwards are easy to get.

You need the KPPS, and the guys like Sheezel. Kangaroos aren't that far away tbh. They need another key forward, defender, and some experienced players to slot in. I think Hawthorn will go backwards before they go forwadrs. Happens all the time with emerging young sides. But they are building nicely.

Adelaide are in a world of trouble and it stems from the boys club they've initiated, putting too much time into players that are never going to get them anywhere. Instead of running a strict regime with guys like Rachele they should be mentoring him. He's still very young and probably struggling with being an AFL footballer. This shows quite clearly how poor Adelaide's leadership is.

A pretty selective history lesson from you.

Of interest, what did they end up doing from 2016 onwards?

Ah yes, trading valuable picks for Jordan Lewis, Hibberd, Jake Lever and Stephen May.

Kids get you nowhere on their own.
That's beside the point. You're acting like they must trade for experience for the sake of it. Of course trading in players can be worth it but only if they're the right players at the right time.

There is no downside to taking high picks to the draft.

"If Rawlings has any brains, theyā€™ll trade their top pick out this year for extra picks to send to other clubs for quality older players."

The word 'naive' doesn't even begin to describe this train of thought. How did it go for Clarko back in 2016-2019 when he had an appetite for wasting list spots on older players?

Adelaide is a shambles
On field
Off field

Whatever field you want
You canā€™t have decent youth when you throw them under the bus

I think Hawthorn will go backwards before they go forwadrs. Happens all the time with emerging young sides. But they are building nicely.

I assume you are predicting hawthorn to win the flag this year. In that case your post makes sense.

You need the KPPS, and the guys like Sheezel. Kangaroos aren't that far away tbh. They need another key forward, defender, and some experienced players to slot in. I think Hawthorn will go backwards before they go forwadrs. Happens all the time with emerging young sides. But they are building nicely.

Adelaide are in a world of trouble and it stems from the boys club they've initiated, putting too much time into players that are never going to get them anywhere. Instead of running a strict regime with guys like Rachele they should be mentoring him. He's still very young and probably struggling with being an AFL footballer. This shows quite clearly how poor Adelaide's leadership is.
Going backwards to go forwards?

Hawthorn are the form side since Round 5. Thatā€™s 15+ rounds.

Theyā€™re going to make the 8, and be one of the flag fancies. But theyā€™ll go backwards before going forwards, right??

Hope North put in a good showing today. Don't want it to be a dead rubber like the snorefest last night.

Would breathe some new life into this thread if they managed an upset and knocked us out of finals contention.

Clarkos line in the sand moment. Invoke the spirit of Firrito and go the knuckle.

Out of interest, who does North trade for with their pick?

Pretty much impossible for us to trade for anyone worthy of Pick 2.

It would be ideal to get in a 24-27 year old gun in for Pick 2 but we also cant get into the trap of a Pick 2 for Lachie Weller type situation.

Realistically weā€™re not going to bounce up straight away. The kids need 70-100 games if theyā€™re gonna do it without the experience.

If we get experience, it will be players over 30 that can help us late in games and can be acquired for cheap draft capital.

Thats the tough question, eh. I wonder if trying to split 2 for 2 quality picks and using that as a carrot is the starting point.

The end of first picks last year they received werenā€™t able to attract the quality theyā€™d like.

That's beside the point. You're acting like they must trade for experience for the sake of it. Of course trading in players can be worth it but only if they're the right players at the right time.

There is no downside to taking high picks to the draft.

"If Rawlings has any brains, theyā€™ll trade their top pick out this year for extra picks to send to other clubs for quality older players."

The word 'naive' doesn't even begin to describe this train of thought. How did it go for Clarko back in 2016-2019 when he had an appetite for wasting list spots on older players?

Comparing the list profile of a Hawthorn team post threepeat to a young North thatā€™s won 6 games in 3 years is bizarro.

Comparing the list profile of a Hawthorn team post threepeat to a young North thatā€™s won 6 games in 3 years is bizarro.
Alright champ, how about Essendon this year then? Went straight from no man's land to no man's land.

Again, wasting good picks to trade old players in for the sake of it is foolish. If they can entice the right player to join like Melbourne with Lever, or North Melbourne tried with Viney, good. If they're just bringing in experienced heads, they just pick them up on the cheap, not waste a high first round pick for no reason.

20 goal win in the wet.

Oh My George Takai GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back