Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Does feel like this is this generations '06 for Hawthorn, with next year '07 (finals), and potentially '08 to follow.

Promising signs from North & Adelaide too. They've got the opportunity to start that trajectory for themselves next year.

I've played Hawthorn list manager in some Bigfooty phantom drafts. If I was in the job Billy Dowling and Zac Taylor would be in brown and gold.
Im genuinely stoked to see them performing well. Was never any doubt, but they needed the opportunity.

Wouldn't mind them having stinkers on Sunday though if I'm honest.

Who would have thought it.

A thread that started as a troll for fans of all involved could end happily, as all three showcase their kids and end the season well.

Bring It In The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

Eh give it until October where will have some of the usual suspects back in full swing ;)

Thread usually gets a bit more civil once they tuck tail and run for about six months.

Media reporting what a good effort by North has a team for the future with 16 players 25 and younger ……. Hawks had 15 against the Pies.

We always make excuses for ourselves; “we’re so young”, “the other team is so good”, “we’re not there yet but we will be soon”. Hawks have just gone about winning no matter who the opponent is. Kudos for that. Mitchell is doing a wonderful job.

As for lists and who had the best, who knows anymore? Last year/start of this year I would’ve said North but it hasn’t translated into any meaningful wins against respectable opponents. The effort has been there since the bye, but the boys seem to not believe they’re capable of winning. The youth excuse for us is a cop-out. I’d like to see huge improvement from North next year similar to Hawks this year, if not I’ll be questioning many things.

We always make excuses for ourselves; “we’re so young”, “the other team is so good”, “we’re not there yet but we will be soon”. Hawks have just gone about winning no matter who the opponent is. Kudos for that. Mitchell is doing a wonderful job.

As for lists and who had the best, who knows anymore? Last year/start of this year I would’ve said North but it hasn’t translated into any meaningful wins against respectable opponents. The effort has been there since the bye, but the boys seem to not believe they’re capable of winning. The youth excuse for us is a cop-out. I’d like to see huge improvement from North next year similar to Hawks this year, if not I’ll be questioning many things.
If Comben stays forward and you get continuity through the middle of the ground and up the spine you should see vast improvement in 2025 as a bunch of players tick closer to 50 games together.

If Comben stays forward and you get continuity through the middle of the ground and up the spine you should see vast improvement in 2025 as a bunch of players tick closer to 50 games together.

Hoping. I still believe a few of the games this year have been winnable, but it’s seems largely a psychological thing, the guys don’t think they can do it. They just need a bit of belief.

The thing with North is we have had no stability with coaches etc until now.

Think that has been a major minefield, which we are coming out the other end of now.

But the Hawks have been amazing this year.

They’re showing it’s possible. Flipped the narrative.
Same as Collingwood and GWS last year. Expected to be bottom 4, believed in themselves, flipped their own narrative. Love to see it.

I see North winning at least 2 more games this season. Use that as a springboard going into offseason and anything is possible next year.
I think they can win more than that.

If we lose one or two in the next month and finals look shot they might knock us off Round 24, much like how Freo walked all over us in the last round of 2023 when our boys just wanted to head to their break.

North have been far more competitive in the second half of the year than the first, and they’ll want to head into summer with some belief. They would go in faves against Tigers and Eagles.

Media reporting what a good effort by North has a team for the future with 16 players 25 and younger ……. Hawks had 15 against the Pies.

hawks average age on the weekend- 27
roos average age on the weekend- 24

*Hawth:
Breust 30 years old -4 goals
Sicily 29 years old- 30 disposals
Impey 29 years old- 13 disp 1 goal

*Nth:
Shiels 33 years old- (as sub) 5 disposals
Corr: 30 years old- 6 disposals
Mcdonald: 29 years old- 11 disposals (most of them kicked to the bloke in the stand selling pies)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what the win/loss record would be If North had Sicily, Impey, Bruest and Hawthorn had McDonald, Tucker, Fisher and Zurhaar.

This is not to bash the Hawks I think they are doing a magnificent job atm, but it's our senior players who are the problem.

3 of our best 4 players under 25 are aged 19 Sheez, 19 mckercher and 20 wardlaw and they are already considered some of our best players in the team. After them it's LDU 25, Xerri 25, Comben 23, Curtis 21 and Archer 21. There are no players over 27 in our squad which are better than those listed above except for Corr who has only come good in the last month. Even just a Sicily type player would make the difference of 3 wins.

Again the Hawks are on fire but it's the mix of talent right across which is showing the difference atm. It looks like the Hawks are getting ready to start contending again very soon, I think we need another 2 years into the young guns and some good 25-28 year old recruits.

*Hawth:

*Nth:
Mcdonald: 29 years old- 11 disposals (most of them kicked to the bloke in the stand selling pies)
Where did you get those stats from? Hawks and Norths average age were both 24…

*Hawth:

*Nth:
1721718699325.png

1721718690361.png

5 months and about 8 games experience of difference.
Certainly not 3 years lol.

These stats are easily accessible by the way, you don't really need to pull them out of your backside.

The Crows were actually the youngest and least experienced of the three sides in this thread on Friday. Very impressive.

*Hawth:

*Nth:
Ginni/Moore/Macca/Wiz takes the pressure off Bruest, Weddle/Scrimmers allows Siss to roam and do what he wants and a big bunch of versatile players running hard both ways provides plenty of help to our Impey types ……… the youngsters and the older players are starting to complement each other well.

We are a side that is still taking two steps forward and one step back in our development but when I look at the team selection each week the players named on the bench are solid. Hawks depth is building nicely.

I wonder what the win/loss record would be If North had Sicily, Impey, Bruest and Hawthorn had McDonald, Tucker, Fisher and Zurhaar.

This is not to bash the Hawks I think they are doing a magnificent job atm, but it's our senior players who are the problem.

3 of our best 4 players under 25 are aged 19 Sheez, 19 mckercher and 20 wardlaw and they are already considered some of our best players in the team. After them it's LDU 25, Xerri 25, Comben 23, Curtis 21 and Archer 21. There are no players over 27 in our squad which are better than those listed above except for Corr who has only come good in the last month. Even just a Sicily type player would make the difference of 3 wins.

Again the Hawks are on fire but it's the mix of talent right across which is showing the difference atm. It looks like the Hawks are getting ready to start contending again very soon, I think we need another 2 years into the young guns and some good 25-28 year old recruits.
The biggest difference for mine is that McDonald, Tucker and Fisher wouldn’t be getting a game for Hawthorn.

Hawks senior players are better but also depth across the list is significantly better. Where North still have very little outside their top 8-10 players.

Hawthorn has impressed me this year, I think they are doing well because Mitchell has a really good structure, has good inside mid options, the spine is solid, recruited well with the hand they have had and coached well. They deserve to be where they are.

We are still very much in transition, we pretty much have no decent elder players, there isn't anyone retiring in the next 5+ years that are going to be missed on-field. I don't want to be disrespectful, but they just aren't very good footballers.

A lot of the improvement have come from the younger second tier stepping up, guys like Archer. Comben, Ford, etc having guys like Teakle, etc provide a contest. I think guys like Shiels and Greenwood have been good for the development of the players but they aren't really important on-field.

I still think we dick around with the ball too much, still very inexperienced between knowing when to take on the game and when to possess the ball, most of the midfield hasn't played that much footy in that role with each other so there are growing pains but I think our numbers have been strong there post bye, really, even in that shity game against the Swans and we still don't have 3 of our best quality mids in the midfield at this point in time. We are not going to get Thomas back, so he is going to be a loss, but Mckercher is playing down back and Phillips mostly in the VFL.

The biggest difference for mine is that McDonald, Tucker and Fisher wouldn’t be getting a game for Hawthorn.

Hawks senior players are better but also depth across the list is significantly better. Where North still have very little outside their top 8-10 players.
It’s why North are chasing Harry Morrison.

Simpkin is easily OK as a rotational mid even in a top 4 side.

He has similar, if not worse statistical output to a cooked Jaeger O'Meara in 2022 playing as a HFF/rotating mid who we unceremoniously pushed out at the end of the season.

I think he would be best 22 for most sides but around that 18th-23rd man for any team that is seriously contending. Similar to JOM now for Freo or Taylor Adams for Sydney.

Unfortunately for Jy I think the concussions have shaved years off his career.

Definitely shouldn't be a name thrown up with Wardlaw, LDU and Sheezel who should be marquee players of the comp (the latter two especially).

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back