Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet when Weddle was put up as being a potential A grader last year the “lol” reactions from a select few Crows came thick and fast.
He has really kicked on. My mate goes "didn't I tell you Weddle was a gun???"

Form is fleeting, and 12 months is a long time in footy. Next year it could be a very different story.
As for how both Max and Weddle have gone, they have had very similar years stat wise, and infact Max has him pipped in a number of areas. Screenshot_20240909_095145_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20240909_095224_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know a lot of people excited about Dear.
And most stoked with our little Wizard.
You mix with the wrong people.
Nah, just people with different opinions. He was sold that you needed a key defender, which is why he wanted Curtin. In hindsight, he is as happy as a pig in shit that he got Watson.
If I go over to your board will I find a number of post with people saying you should have gone Curtin, or will I find everyone saying Watson was the man?

Form is fleeting, and 12 months is a long time in footy. Next year it could be a very different story.
As for how both Max and Weddle have gone, they have had very similar years stat wise, and infact Max has him pipped in a number of areas.
No-one bar Adelaide fans think Weddle and Max have had similar impactful years

Weddle the far superior player

As for how both Max and Weddle have gone, they have had very similar years stat wise, and infact Max has him pipped in a number of areas.View attachment 2105614View attachment 2105615
If you’re relying on stats to compare the two you’re doing it wrong. The eye test tells the story.

Weddle is going to be the best distance runner in the comp(once Blicavs retires), he has flair, he kicks goals and he can play any position up the spine. CHF, CHB, FB, Ruck…

Michelanney looks like a good stopper.

There’s a reason Kornes has suggested Weddle could be the best player in the comp.

No-one bar Adelaide fans think Weddle and Max have had similar impactful years

Weddle the far superior player
Did I say Max was better? I said they have similar stats and provide similar input into the teams defence. Max is a less spectacular player, but does the job of defending, very well.
And, stat wise, there's not much between them. You can say Max is a great defender and not also have to say that Weddle might not be a bit better.

If you’re relying on stats to compare the two you’re doing it wrong. The eye test tells the story.

Weddle is going to be the best distance runner in the comp(once Blicavs retires), he has flair, he kicks goals and he can play any position up the spine. CHF, CHB, FB, Ruck…

Michelanney looks like a good stopper.

There’s a reason Kornes has suggested Weddle could be the best player in the comp.
Sure, which was my point.
Max can intercept mark very well, and is a very good stopper as you say. He can play on talls and smalls.
Weddle is better in other areas, sure, but Max is a great defender who every Crows fan loves what he brings.
One of the best defenders the Crows had was Luke Brown. He shut down every single dangerous small forward. He took them out of the game. He was nicknamed the Brown Glove. He was never going to be an AA, or called the best player in the comp, but he was one of the first chosen every week.
I don't have a problem saying Max is a top defender in only his second year.
I also dont have a problem in saying Weddle is also a great defender who is more spectacular and offers more of launching attacks from defence than Max does.
Not a big deal.
But don't forget, the number 1 thing required by a defender is to nullify their opposition player, which Max is elite at.

Did I say Max was better? I said they have similar stats and provide similar input into the teams defence. Max is a less spectacular player, but does the job of defending, very well.
And, stat wise, there's not much between them. You can say Max is a great defender and not also have to say that Weddle might not be a bit better.
Why did you post the stats?

Well I was proven wrong... I guessed the crows had the best youth this time last season.

Saying that....

Crows have a Solid backline, Semi decent forward structure of Tilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine and Rachele. But needs a gun elite mid or 2 to become a finals contender.

North Has some decent mids, Forward line has some ok players. I am not sold on their back 6. Once they get their back 6 into a decent level, they can be a solid side.

Hawks look good in the backline. Solid in the middle and solid up forward.

I have got no animosity towards Lloyd Meek. He couldnt get many games being behind Luke Jackson and Sean Darcy. Now he is decent at the Hawks. He did a similar thing what sam Jacobs did many years ago. Jacobs spent 4 years getting a few games at Carltons list then went to another club for chances.

Well I was proven wrong... I guessed the crows had the best youth this time last season.

Saying that....

Crows have a Solid backline, Semi decent forward structure of Tilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine and Rachele. But needs a gun elite mid or 2 to become a finals contender.

North Has some decent mids, Forward line has some ok players. I am not sold on their back 6. Once they get their back 6 into a decent level, they can be a solid side.

Hawks look good in the backline. Solid in the middle and solid up forward.

I have got no animosity towards Lloyd Meek. He couldnt get many games being behind Luke Jackson and Sean Darcy. Now he is decent at the Hawks. He did a similar thing what sam Jacobs did many years ago. Jacobs spent 4 years getting a few games at Carltons list then went to another club for chances.
Reckon The Right Honourable Lloyd Meek is better than decent, he’d be top 5 rucks in the comp on for this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread also shows the importance of backing the right coach.

Hawks dump Clarko and North pick him up.
Both on completely different trajectories.

This can’t just be put down to the pure talent the hawks have vs north.

When this thread started our youth 22 and under contained

Day, Newcombe, Moore, Scrimshaw, Nash, Worpel and the likes of Jiath, Lewis, Morrison, Maginness, Mitchell, Reeves

All the comments about us having the worth youth/list over that period are interesting in hindsight.

Since then we have added the following

Weddle, D'Ambrosio, Ginnivan, Macdonald, Watson, Dear and Mackenzie, Ward, McCabe, Serong

You could make a pretty balanced best 22 with those names.

FB: Mitchell, McCabe, Serong
HB: Jiath, Weddle, Scrimshaw
C: D'Ambrosio, Day, Nash
HF: Moore, Lewis, Macdonald
FF: Watson, Dear, Ginnivan
Foll: Reeves, Newcombe, Worpel
Int: Mackenzie, Ward, Morrison, Maginness

The youf at norf is talented but there is something intangibly wrong there
Oh it’s quite tangible.

There is no senior leadership to lead by example, set professional standards, and steady the ship when things go awry.

Earlier in the year, we were up against the Pies by 9 goals, and we still managed to bottle it.

When was the last time a team had a senior cohort as shallow as McDonald, Corr, Tucker and Shiels?

There are also structural issues with our list. Eg we lack pressure in the f50 because we have no demonstrably competent small forwards. These list deficiencies result in a team that struggles to execute modern game plans to a competitive standard.

We won’t see the best of Norths kids until these two issues are rectified.

Unfortunately your comrade Kane spent 6 months telling us Weddle wasn’t in Max’s league.
Max is a very good honest player but his ceiling is not near Weddle.

Weddle has shown a higher ceiling, but describing Max as a “good honest player” undersells his speed, ball use and intercept ability. He’s shown it in patches but has largely had to play 1-on-1 lockdown while most of our rebounds were funneled through Smith (another genius Nicks move…), with Bond being brought in as that more defensive type, the shackles were released a little and I expect to see a much more attacking version of Max next season.

Weddle has shown a higher ceiling, but describing Max as a “good honest player” undersells his speed, ball use and intercept ability. He’s shown it in patches but has largely had to play 1-on-1 lockdown while most of our rebounds were funneled through Smith (another genius Nicks move…), with Bond being brought in as that more defensive type, the shackles were released a little and I expect to see a much more attacking version of Max next season.

Last 5 matches, of the 532 AFL rated players, Weddle ranks top 20. Michalanney ranks 462.

You're not comparing what you believe to be comparable.

We have gone over this over the last two years, where Adelaide supporters in this thread overrate their youth. That's not to say you have bad youth, just not as good.

Oh it’s quite tangible.

There is no senior leadership to lead by example, set professional standards, and steady the ship when things go awry.

Earlier in the year, we were up against the Pies by 9 goals, and we still managed to bottle it.

When was the last time a team had a senior cohort as shallow as McDonald, Corr, Tucker and Shiels?

There are also structural issues with our list. Eg we lack pressure in the f50 because we have no demonstrably competent small forwards. These list deficiencies result in a team that struggles to execute modern game plans to a competitive standard.

We won’t see the best of Norths kids until these two issues are rectified.

They are after Luke ‘missing when it counts’ Parker. Decent enough in home and away though

Last 5 matches, of the 532 AFL rated players, Weddle ranks top 20. Michalanney ranks 462.

You're not comparing what you believe to be comparable.

We have gone over this over the last two years, where Adelaide supporters in this thread overrate their youth. That's not to say you have bad youth, just not as good.

Re read my post please, I literally said that Weddle was better.

Yet Thilthorpe has the better record so far...

Early days, but both look like they are going to be quality players.

Thilthorpe is over 2 metres & can move like a midfielder.
Thilthorpe is going to be good but he doesn’t move like a midfielder. Gross overreaction, good athletically but since putting on this muscle has gotten slower and genuinely plays like Charlie Dixon.

Thilthorpe is going to be good but he doesn’t move like a midfielder. Gross overreaction, good athletically but since putting on this muscle has gotten slower and genuinely plays like Charlie Dixon.

Yet Thilthorpe has the better record so far...

Early days, but both look like they are going to be quality players.

Thilthorpe is over 2 metres & can move like a midfielder.

Couple huge over exaggerations here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back