Whitnall Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the greatest decision the club has made for quite some time. Lance will be a great leader, and no one at the club deserves a shot at the captaincy more than he does.

Thank you to the club for rewarding his great on-field performance and dedication. Let's hope Lance is a blue for the rest of his career.

This also elevates his chances at becoming our next permanant captain, should kouta retire at seasons end. I believe having added responsibility at the club will see him take his game to even new heights, and much deserved notoriety as one of the AFL's elite players.

This is such a good sign from so many angles.

1. You would not appoint a player to be captain for 5+ games unless you intend him to be captain next year. I believe this indicates Whitnall is a shoe-in!

2. By making him stand-in captain now and most likely captain next year I believe it'll keep him in top-shape.. Whitnall would know that as a leader he has to lead from the front and as captain he would strive harder to maintain his physical fitness and weight at AFL standards.

3. A true blue keeping the captaincy..... when was the last time a non true blue was captain.. would of been a tragedy if Stephens got the gig!

4. Makes him more a prominant figure on field to be listened too... makes the kids look up to him that bit more and absorb his footy brain!

GO BLUES and GO BIG RED!

blues4flag said:

ya damn straight it is, and a good insight into who will be taking the honour come next year, because i do believe kouta will retire come seasons end, i also would like to see fev V/C. as someone has mentioned we need true blue carlton men leading our great club, as i dont see nick in this light.
thoughts on fev for V/C under lance should kouta retire?

Great move! As recognized by most already, Lance will be an excellent captain. His footy smarts are the best in the comp, and his efforts at CHB have been sensational. It’s not just his individual efforts, but his influence on players like Walker and Thornton that have been a real plus. Our young players look up to Lance. He is a natural leader, and that was even apparent in his early years. :)

This is good for the blues cause the game is passing kouta by and we need a fresh leader. Kouta was starting to just take up room on the field when a young player could be out there learning and adjusting to the game. When Lance revs up the boys and makes all the decisions, they listen and play well. The game won't ever pass lance by though, he reads it too well.

But i hope you get better quick Kouta, and i hope carlton finish the season strongly and give Kouta a nice send-off because he deserves it (if he is to retire which is looking more and more likely).

I have been a strong supporter of LW and his ability when fully fit and this recognition is truly deserved.
Lance is the logical successor to the mighty Kouta as Nick Stevens star has dimmed [just slightly] this year.
NS should be, though, the VC outright[based on if Kouta retires]
re pt 1 - have also been a big supporter of Ryan H and am now struggling a bit to justify that. Still have faith however he needs a constuctive and aggressive second half. The ''bump'' was a really positive sign and he will beat that charge.
CFC - we are really seeing a positive future overall

Thanks everyone. I feel very humble. I'll try and do a good job. Did you know that at the half way mark of the season, the three members of "The Gospel" voted me as the "All Australian CHB"?

Very good decision to appoint whitnal captain . Nick Stevens would have been a candidate for the captaincy but its clear to see that Lance Whitnal just tries much harder and puts in 100 % week in week out ! and i have a feeling kouta is soon to announce his retirement

go lance !

He has done a great job resurrecting his career, and becoming captain (assuming he keeps it) caps it off.

Now all we need him to do is hold up the cup on the last Saturday in September!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see the Red Man being acknowledged for his hard work and loyalty to the club. Has looked like a leader since his mega 2000 season and I wonder if those wasted seasons from 2002-2004 stood in the way of him taking on the captaincy on the retirement of 'Rats' & Macca. It will be great to have a leader who is in top form and is vocal on the field. Looking forward to Lance leading the mighty Blues to a win on Friday night. Most of all, looking forward to him leading the side back up the ladder over the next couple of years. Go the Red Man!

Smokey_22 said:
Nah not 'til Murph's at least 22.

Yeah i agree. Perhaps even later than that. If you give the young blokes captaincy too early it burdens their progress as footballers.

We have to wait till Murph has bulked up and his game is fully developed, and he has to have many more years experience at top level.

Just look at Riewoldt and Ball who both captained StKilda before they should have. They have obviously struggled with the burden of keeping their match performances up whilst directing a team of more senior and experienced players.

In the meantime, let Lance have half a dozen years in the spot, and maybe then Marc will be more than prepared to take the helm.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitnall Captain