Remove this Banner Ad

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Had the idea a few months back of maybe hosting a NAB Cup game at the ground in the future, maybe hosting a 'triangle' match with say the Dogs, North & Suns all lower drawing teams to cope with the number of seating in the ground

Id like to hear your suggestions/ideas

Given the Dogs don't even play VFL games there, hugely unlikely.

Is well beyond the minimum for what the AFL requires from a ground in facilities etc.

Like Arden Street, great training ground but that is it.

Nice idea but as DawofPerception said, the facilities wouldn't be "AFL Worthy," and just not a good look on Footscray's image.

Would need a fence round the ground. You would also have to deal with Dodgybyrnong council who are dead against playing football there.

Why is that?

Was one of the stipulations in them donating money to the refurb...(which they ended up piking on half of their promised donations anyway).

Interesting.

could've been a boutique stadium if it had've been done up right. just what the dogs needed

A 25,000 capacity Whitten Oval with the Bulldogs and North each hosting 4-5 lower drawing home games each would have been great for Victorian footy.

Sadly there is more money for these clubs in playing these games in Tasmania, Darwin or Canberra nowdays.

Amazing to think that during the 2012 season, 4 grounds in Sydney will host AFL premiership season matches, while only 2 grounds in Melbourne will hold games.

could've been a boutique stadium if it had've been done up right. just what the dogs needed

No chance. Not enough transport links for a start.

NONE of the old suburban grounds will ever become boutique stadia, largely because it is cheaper to build one to AFL standard from scratch than do up an old one. Far less planning and heritage stuff in way too.

Best chance for one is in the E-Gate precinct in between North Melbourne and Footscray. Will have transport links galore, space is there.

No chance. Not enough transport links for a start.

NONE of the old suburban grounds will ever become boutique stadia, largely because it is cheaper to build one to AFL standard from scratch than do up an old one. Far less planning and heritage stuff in way too.

Best chance for one is in the E-Gate precinct in between North Melbourne and Footscray. Will have transport links galore, space is there.

I'm pretty sure E-Gate is going to be a potential school and/or community facilities for Docklands residents.

I have always liked the idea of Melbourne having a third (if you discount Geelong) stadium of lesser capacity than the MCG/Etihad. I would think that something in the vicinity of 30,000 would be good with playing field dimensions not too dissimilar to say the Gabba (say around 155 by 135 metres) slightly smaller than the MCG and a little bit wider than Etihad.

Hey Lads,

Last night I had the brainwave to start a Petition to try and convince the AFL to seriously look at the Whitten Oval as a Viable Option for a Stadium while they are conducting there Feasibility/Equalization Study

Mark Stevens (Channel 7) and Shane Delia (Celebrity Chef) have already signed the Petition so its growing legs

Read more and to Sign the Petition Here:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...en-oval-to-help-smaller-afl-clubs#description

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Signed! I'm a big fan of the idea of the Dogs playing home games against interstate clubs at Whitten Oval. The Dogs have exactly one competitive advantage: we are truly connected to the west. Anything we can do to strengthen that is a very good thing. We need it to be unequivocal that we are the team, and the only team, of the west.

Edit: Not actually signed cos it's closed, but signed in spirit!

Presumably the ground will be treated in the same way as Victoria Park, free entry as a public park.

They will need to restore the time clock and a scoreboard as well as a fence, which is a lot of work to do in a short space of time before the start of next season. I also understand there are no longer any accessible toilet facilities or places to sell refreshments, so they may have to go with portables and open the social club.

Looking forward to attending a game there next year if we get the chance.

I have always liked the idea of Melbourne having a third (if you discount Geelong) stadium of lesser capacity than the MCG/Etihad. I would think that something in the vicinity of 30,000 would be good with playing field dimensions not too dissimilar to say the Gabba (say around 155 by 135 metres) slightly smaller than the MCG and a little bit wider than Etihad.
good idea as well, & the cricket victoria could be based & play out of there as well, even some national games. but imo buy the time its been build it would have been to small, & a waste of 200/300 million dollars.
maybe build as a 30k seater, but with plans to build an extension on it to increase capacity with a long term view maybe then

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back