Tim56

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2003
On the fine line between
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
This isn't intended to be an objective assessment of the merits of particular riders, but who are the riders that YOU look for in the form guide? It can be 5, 10, however many.

I'll start:

1. N. Callow - I love this guy. Incredibly strong and awesome in a finish. Not afraid to use the shillelagh vigorously if required. Great strike rate and can be backed with confidence. His biggest strengths are his ability in a tight finish, and he is an excellent front running rider. I love his ability to get a horse out of the machine quickly, and then get it to settle underneath him. Only weakness is he is not as good a rider on back markers.

2. C. Newitt - For much the same reasons as I like N. Callow - tremendously strong and ultra consistent. Only concern is his tendency to "not give horses every chance".

3. B. Shinn - Had a bit of a lean patch over the last year when he just seemed to be trying too hard. However, this season is in great form and riding heaps of winners. Great all round rider and exceptional talent - you have to be to win the Scobie as an apprentice. All things being equal he will be a top rider for 20 years.

4. M. Zahra - I love his soft hands. A lot of horses just seem to improve lengths when he rides them - very different style of rider to the first two.

5. G. Colless - This guy would be a star in any state of Australia.

6. D. Beadman - Can't ignore the prolific amount of winners he rides. The total package.

7. B. Rawiller - You don't have a bet in the country without checking where his name is.

8. L. Beer - Bit more obscure name but rides his fair share of good priced winners in the country.

9. A. Trinder - Just a wonderful jumps jockey.

10. S. Pateman - Ditto.

Least favourite (the fun part):

C. Williams
D. Beasley
M. Rodd (seeing as he is Lloyd's new babe I'll have to learn to like him)
J. Parr (a)
G. Boss
J. Benbow
RM Quinn
AW Robinson
AB Robinson
B. Melham (a)
D. Dunn
D. Moor
Any jockey in Adelaide
J. Didham
J. Cassidy
D. Brereton
N. Ryan
Ms A. Leek
Z. Purton

D Oliver clearly my favourite, although not goign the best at the moment due to injuries great jockey and have met him a couple times and a good bloke to.

at present though N Callow has been riding well.

most hated clearly beadman, its obvious he is one of the best the majority of the time but never seen a jockey screw up more odds on favs than this bloke

1. C. Williams - Has such a good combo with Hayes, wins often
2. H. Bowman - Seems to give the horses every opportunity.
3. D. Beadman - wins alot, nice bloke, pushes odds down cause of the "Factor".
4. G. Boss - Loves winning, good jockey, Sometimes forgets he's not on Maybe Diva each time.
5. K. O'Hara - She's got me a few big winners, Hot for a jockey.

5. K. O'Hara - She's got me a few big winners, Hot for a jockey.[/quote]

get your hand off it.

1. Williams - The complete professional, gives every horse a 100% to win. Impossible not to be confident when he's riding.

2. Danny Beasley - Very underrated, a strong driver who is just as effective with the whip.

3. Glen Boss - Love his extravagant, low action. A strong driver as well.

SaintsSupporter said:
1. Williams - The complete professional, gives every horse a 100% to win. Impossible not to be confident when he's riding.
2. Danny Beasley - Very underrated, a strong driver who is just as effective with the whip.

3. Glen Boss - Love his extravagant, low action. A strong driver as well.

Just let the punters down with the fav in the last, jumped poorly and was boxed the hwole way.

I don't know what's so bad about SA jockeys? Several are very under-rated and if they were in the eastern states would have a much bigger profile. Dwayne Dunn would be one of those, Paul Gatt, Clare Lindop, they would be the 3 to follow over here. As for most disliked, Nikolic = tosser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HeLMie said:
Just let the punters down with the fav in the last, jumped poorly and was boxed the hwole way.
He's allowed to ride a bad race or two once in a while.
Lockyer24 said:
Ive been adding extra thought to those with Williams, Newitt and Boss aboard.
Nash Rawiller is probably my fav jockey though.
I've never noticed him too much, but when I saw him absolute rip into Casual Pass at the 150m in the Yalumba like a man posessed, I gained a hell of a lot of respect for him. Not just because I was on Casual Pass, but because his drive to win was overwhelmingly apparent.

gault said:
D Oliver clearly my favourite, although not goign the best at the moment due to injuries great jockey and have met him a couple times and a good bloke to.

at present though N Callow has been riding well.

most hated clearly beadman, its obvious he is one of the best the majority of the time but never seen a jockey screw up more odds on favs than this bloke
youd expect that with 15months or so out of the sadle and i dont think that lastest fall did him any good either

some i think have fergotten that (not u anways)

he would have to be my fave :) his first MC win was the first horse race I ever seen. Fell in love with the sport and him ever since (I still cant back a winner for peanuts mind you :p)

I also like Kirean Mckevoy(sp?) and Newitt as well

I dont mind Beedman actually

I think Corey Brown is a class act. Just an all-round good rider for mine. I also think that Craig Newitt is a gun, however his past misdemeanours make him difficult to back on occasions. Nevertheless, a very, very good jockey. Steven Arnold is another who I rate extremely highly.

Many people don't look past these jocks in the top echelon. However, my favourite for a long time has been Andrew Findlay. He was a most promising apprentice in the mid 90s until he went off the rails a bit. A credit to him that he managed to find a way back. Recently, he has had his injury setbacks, which have meant he hasn't been getting too many rides of late. His ride on Ruben in the last on Werribee Cup day was very solid. I think he will be spewing after he made a costly error on the Felinity last prep when he eased her down in a race and then lost on protest! I think he is very underrated and hope more rides come his way, because he can ride. He has been a bit unlucky.

Jamie Innes in NSW is another I have followed for a while. His strike rate looks poor, but that's because he is often chucked on 50-1 shots. He has won on a few of these outsiders, though, and you often see him riding things that run into a place and pay a good dividend. Is probably one of the older jockeys, but I think he is up the top end in NSW.

P J Harvey is a master in Perth; in fact I reckon he'd stand up anywhere. Sometimes he seems to be a bit of a rogue, but look he can clean up pretty much everything if he wants in WA.

Noel Callow impresses me with his vigorous riding and as Tim56 says, 'ability in a close finish'. I think his treatment on Benicio was the reason that the horse has never hit the track again. Is having a lean patch at the moment, though. Despite being known as a bit of a knob around the traps, if he can fire you home a winner, you can't complain.

steven king and michelle payne:- watch the way they sit on a horse, there body and especially there head dont move at all, and they have both are superb at putting a horse in the right positions. they also can ride horses out so thats why they stand out as my favourite jockeys.

luke nolen:-has an excellent strike rate, and he gives each horse every possible chance, places them well and can ride out them out well too. good to see him finally earning some respect and being put on in gr1 races.

brad rawiller:-as cefulu said, if he was lighter he would be in the elite category as a jockey. again he has a good strike rate and rarely rides a bad race.

damian oliver and craig williams:- we all know how good they are and why there the best

blake shinn and daniel moor:- very professional young jockeys who will reach dizzy heights in the coming years, they have everything going for them to become high class riders.

rhys mcleod:-good jockey who doesnt get many oppurtunities. has all the traits and is up with the best jockeys in australia.

im not a fan of: danny nikolic, noel callow,craig newitt and carolin mason,ben melham=( too arragont)

SaintsSupporter said:
I've never noticed him too much, but when I saw him absolute rip into Casual Pass at the 150m in the Yalumba like a man posessed, I gained a hell of a lot of respect for him. Not just because I was on Casual Pass, but because his drive to win was overwhelmingly apparent.

Surely you're off him again after he destroyed it in the cox plate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are your favourite jockeys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back