Who do you go for now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ta for that Goon, even though you mutilated both the Dees players' names there mate :p

Would've beaten the Bulldogs too, if Wona or anyone else on that loooooong injury list had been there yesterday.

Wish someone would post the odd Fitzroy FC report around here btw!

A BigFooty-linked blog with someone doing that wouldn't be a bad idea...

Ta for that Goon, even though you mutilated both the Dees players' names there mate :p

Would've beaten the Bulldogs too, if Wona or anyone else on that loooooong injury list had been there yesterday.

Wish someone would post the odd Fitzroy FC report around here btw!

A BigFooty-linked blog with someone doing that wouldn't be a bad idea...
Hey Wonaeamirri
If you want any Fitzroy game day posts just go to main bf front page A F L to the sub listing V A F A and you will find match reports there.

The Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club trading as the Brisbane Lions naturally!:D
Couldn't of said it better myself-who else wears our famous colors sing our theme song, and just keep the Roys spirit alive in the AFL.
To me any one who could follow any other AFL team other than the Mighty Lions was not and is not a true Fitzroy person.
How could you follow one of those other teams who we hated for all those years in the VFL.

=Lionsman;14741273]To me any one who could follow any other AFL team other than the Mighty Lions was not and is not a true Fitzroy person.

You are kidding!! Brisbane is not Fitzroy but feel free to follow them.

How could you follow one of those other teams who we hated for all those years in the VFL.

or hated in the AFL.....like Brisbane!:D

Nobody said Brisbane was Fitzroy,mate.
Neither is North.But you feel free to follow them too.
And as for hating the BEARS,nobody really hated them,the rivalry just had'nt built like with the Vic clubs.

=Lionsman;14748167]Nobody said Brisbane was Fitzroy,mate.
Neither is North.But you feel free to follow them too.
No they aren't Fitzroy but you feel the right to come on here and tell REAL Fitzroy people that if they don't follow Brisbane that they aren't "true Fitzroy" people. :confused:

...and just for your information, I bought a Roos membership 4 weeks ago to help out a bit, my last memberships were Fitzroy ones from 1974 - 1996 & 2007 - present!!

Do you have a Fitzroy membership 2009!! If not, you should get one!

And as for hating the BEARS,nobody really hated them,the rivalry just had'nt built like with the Vic clubs.
I didn't hate them but didn't like them! Liked them a whole lot less at the merger, particularly Noel Gordon, so figure that one out.......

Exceptionally well put Roy. As someone who could not at all bring myself to follow Brisbane Lions, and drifted away from the AFL for years as a result of Oakley's near-total destruction of our club, I heartily agree with you.

I respect those who made the decision to follow Brisbane, as I respect South Melbourne people who did the same with the Sydney Swans, but it's not a choice I would make.

It's just disrespectful to question the loyalty of people like Roy & myself IMO.

OK. Point taken.I didnt word the "true Fitzroy person" comment too well at all and I am sorry for that.
However, I find your "REAL" Fitzroy people comment disrespectful as well.
Are you implying that I am not a "REAL" Fitzroy person?

As I said, although I could not make such a choice myself, I do nevertheless respect other Fitzroy people who did make the choice to follow Brisbane. And I don't doubt that Roy is of the same opinion here. We all in the end support Fitzroy, whichever part of the 'diaspora' we come from ;)

You're right there, we are all Fitzroy supporters when it comes to the crunch.
And no Roy I am not a current member of Fitzroy FC. But I am about to log on to their website where I will purchase a family membership.Its the least I can do!

Are you implying that I am not a "REAL" Fitzroy person?

IMO If you followed Fitzroy in the AFL and/or still follow Fitzroy in the VAFA, regardless of which AFL team you follow now, then you are a real Fitzroy person. No big judgment required on this one.

Respect required to those of us Roy Boys & Girls who can or cannot follow Brisbane (or any other AFL club for that matter), those of us who are "true" know within!:)

Feel sorry for you guys.

I'd still follow afl if Carlton left the comp but it would never be the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take the family to a game at Brunswick St........they will love it!:thumbsu::thumbsu:[/quote]

I'll do that for sure!:thumbsu::)

Yep, I'll be turning up at Brunswick St the next time I'm down in Melbourne as well, for sure :D

Yep come along. The word is slowly spreading.

No matter who you now support in the AFL, our club still exists in its own right.

If you're in Melbourne and your AFL cliub isn't playing on Saturday afternooon, then come out and see THE Fitzroy Football Club at our traditional home.

Port Melbourne in the VFL. I have pretty much lost interest in the AFL with the new TV rights deal.

I moved up to Queensland in 2002 but even with the Brisbane Lions everywhere I just couldn't bring myself to support what I consider to be an interstate team, despite the Fitzroy link (I really am a diehard Victorian). However, six years ago my girlfriend (now fiancee) who is a born and bred Queenslander, started to enter footy tipping competitions at her work and decided she needed to support a football team. She loves cats and hates Brisbane (despite growing up there) so she picked Geelong. Now she's as rabid and vocal as anyone who has followed the footy their entire life. Keeping an eye on their results each week got me back into Aussie Rules although its never really been the same as it used to be when I lived and breathed Fitzroy.

I did hear about Fitzroy playing again, a couple of years ago and the story in 'Inside Sport' really brought back some great memories. I'll be down in Melbourne over the next month so hope I'll get to watch them play.

Amazes me how anyone could change to Collingwood.

I thought every other team hated them.
The voting in this poll is not an accurate reflection of where Fitzroy supporters now place their allegiance. I'm sure a lot of the voting has come from non-Fitzroy supporters.

I did hear about Fitzroy playing again, a couple of years ago and the story in 'Inside Sport' really brought back some great memories. I'll be down in Melbourne over the next month so hope I'll get to watch them play.

Get down to Brunswick Street when you get to Melbourne AndrewD..........you will have a ball watching the Roys go round. Better still get to fitzroyfc.com.au and get yourself a membership ($25) before you go!!

You can yell for the Roys as a current 2009 member!!:):thumbsu:

Amazes me how anyone could change to Collingwood.

I thought every other team hated them.

I reckon out of the other Victorian teams in the AFL, Collingwood and St.Kilda fans remind me the most of Fitzroy fans. In fact, I reckon if you were to somehow combine your stereotypical Collingwood and St.Kilda fan, you'd probably have something resembling a Fitzroy fan.

I grew up in Melbourne and barracked for Fitzroy as a kid (but only saw them play at St Kilda Junction). Work has taken me to Brisbane so it's only logical that I continue to follow the Lions. I can tell you the Fitzroy spirit is alive and well up north, especially through the likes of Jonathon Brown. The Roys, as we knew them, may be gone, but never forgotten.

I took my two kids to Brunswick St when we visited Melbourne several years ago. When I saw the old club reform recently I paid my subscription and now follow the form each week on the web sight. I look forward to watching a game at Brunswick St when in Melbourne sometime and dreaming of what it must have been like when 30,000 people crowded round the fence. Go Lions!

Just joined Big Footy today. I can assure you that myself and my entire family were mad Fitzroy supporters. Mum used to work voluntarily at the club, and the entire family went to every game.

I can also assure that once Fitzroy folded that was it from the entire family. Out of 6 of us, NO-ONE supports the lions. Mum and dad bought memberships at the kangas. Eldest bro is a member at the doggies. 2nd eldest lives in QLD and comes closest to supporting the lions. Myself and my younger bro are both passionate saints supporters (and members)

Never thought I'd say it, but my passions for the saints now is as great as it was for the roys in the mid 80's. Took me awhile to feel this way though. I recall in the 1999 prelim sitting at the G and seeing the old Fitzroy flags waving and the theme song playing as the lions ran out, and feeling a lump in my throat. But that was it. I see the lions the same as the other 15 clubs now.

Like you Moods I am a newcomer to Big Footy and would also class myself as a former passionate & rusted on Fitzroy supporter although I take a nominal interest in the Lions there is certainly no passion as it existed for the Roys.
However I could never take on another team !!! don't know why but I am sure there is plenty like me out there with the same sentiments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back