Who do you guys rate as the biggest threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Minglis

Senior List
Jul 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Who do you guys see, if anyone, as a possible hurdle to the Cats doubling up this year? Just interested because with Port dead in the water, West Coast sold out, Sydney out of date, St Kilda chugging along from mediocre to mediocre ala Essendon 02-05...

It just feels like an all but certain Geelong 130 D Hawks 65 for the silverware this year, (with the Dogs unlucky not to be the losers because of getting stuck on the Geelong side of the prelimary final draw).

Geelong 2008 feels like Essendon 2000 should have but for Kouta's finest hour, 18th September, 1999. If you missed the game you dont look to see who won. Your just wondering how much by.

Hawthorn are looking to be the biggest threat IMO.

At this early stage, Adelaide are looking good too and Collingwood are always a danger. Bulldogs may surprise and so may Kangas.

The Saints have been getting a good rap but it's too early to say whether they'll gel (I'm thinking not...).

last year i named port as threat and this year at this early stage i suggest its sydney who are the biggest danger , they have similar methods of winning too geelong (shut down or attack ) and they have the experiance in big games , they will be around the money , pies maybe the biggest threat from vict , hawks are a good team but have done nothing in big games , only need too check out the finals last year too see how they go ..

Probably Hawthorn, but dont tell them that.

I have no doubt in my mind we will go back to back though. I have never been more confident about the GFC than I am right now. Seriosuly, I think we are still a step up in our maturity and commitment that we will not let the flag slip this year.

In order, I think Hawks, Pies, Saints (when up and about), WCE are next, with Adelaide and maybe the Doggies behind them.

I have no doubt in my mind we will go back to back though. I have never been more confident about the GFC than I am right now. Seriosuly, I think we are still a step up in our maturity and commitment that we will not let the flag slip this year.

I agree totally.

I think Hawthorn and Collingwood match up the best on us...

Adelaide. Tough, experienced, yet have some excellent youth. They remind me of us in terms of development in the last few years. They have a very good chance of making the top 4 due to the interstate advantage, and if they can nail down top 2, they will be hard to stop getting into the GF. And I'll be honest, they are the club I would most like to see do well this year (Geelong aside obviously), so forgive me if I'm a touch biased.

Geelong vs Crows GF, Cats by 118.

Jimmy mentioning last night that after we beat them he knew he had a shot at the flag is evidence enough for me that the players have respect for Adelaide as a football club, and the players know better than anyone.

in the recent form of adelaide, collingwood, hawthorn, the dogs and evan sydney, when the top eight is decidedany of the teams could be a threat.

the biggest threat will be collingwood or hawthorn.

COLLINGWOOD would like to get revenge from last years preliminary final, they will always be a team to watch once september comes.

HAWTHORN has a young list and a team that plays for each other. the hawks were the only team we did not bet in 2008!!

Adelaide.

Hawks have played well against us over the years but I still feel we have the better team.

Adelaide is another story - I think they will push deep into September and be a real contender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn is the comer. Just need a bit of maturity and a coach who knows the difference between well applied aggression and dumb aggression.

Also Carringbush, they know how to shut us down. And St Kilda, if they ever get their forward line working to its optimum.

in the recent form of adelaide, collingwood, hawthorn, the dogs and evan sydney, when the top eight is decidedany of the teams could be a threat.

the biggest threat will be collingwood or hawthorn.

COLLINGWOOD would like to get revenge from last years preliminary final, they will always be a team to watch once september comes.

HAWTHORN has a young list and a team that plays for each other. the hawks were the only team we did not bet in 2008!!

2007 ;)

Hawthorn and Collingwood, with Adelaide in the mix too. Adelaide were expected to struggle but thus far they have been pretty good. Bulldogs are another likely contender but I do wonder how they'll go when the heat is on in September. Jury is out on them.

Hawthorn and Collingwood are the two biggies for mine. Hawthorn have the talent, but consistency will be the key, and the Pies are just flat out dogged, and have some silk in amongst the battlers. They win on determination and pride as much as anything.

Hawthorn and Collingwood, with Adelaide in the mix too. Adelaide were expected to struggle but thus far they have been pretty good. Bulldogs are another likely contender but I do wonder how they'll go when the heat is on in September. Jury is out on them.

Hawthorn and Collingwood are the two biggies for mine. Hawthorn have the talent, but consistency will be the key, and the Pies are just flat out dogged, and have some silk in amongst the battlers. They win on determination and pride as much as anything.

Couldn't agree with you more. hawthorn could have a year similar to us in 2005 and could even go all the way, they are very talented but I'm not sure they are mature enough just yet.

Collingwood are so well drilled, they come up for the big games and just never give up. Very, very hard to put away.

last year i named port as threat and this year at this early stage i suggest its sydney who are the biggest danger , they have similar methods of winning too geelong (shut down or attack ) and they have the experiance in big games , they will be around the money , pies maybe the biggest threat from vict , hawks are a good team but have done nothing in big games , only need too check out the finals last year too see how they go ..

^^ Geelong, pre-September 2008 board! ;)

I reckon you'll go back to back. Geelong's a loooooong way ahead of everyone else, although a few inujuries can change that pretty quickly (although your depth is awesome... Prismall would get a game at Windy Hill!!!)

Hawks are gonna be a very good team this year and I think you'll play them in the GF. Other dangers are Collingwood, Adelaide, Port & possibly Sydney. If Sydney are up there, they're probably the one team that might be able to knock you off in a GF.

Definately Hawks, followed by Sydney. The Sydney style of game really shits me, but it's effective. Pies after that, but I'm not sure if they are consistent enough. Certainly can't rely on Rocca in a big game.

Collingwood was damn close..

Adelaide and Sydney both could

Hawthorn maybe.

Kangaroos and Port are posers, over achieved last year imo.

Rubbish.

Let's recap the 2007 PF, which I assume is the "Collingwood was damn close" game you are referring to:
- Collingwood dictated the terms of the game and made it a defensive struggle
- Geelong (players and coaching staff) did not react well to Collingwood's tactics, leaving the Magpies in a position to dictate terms
- Geelong appeared very nervous and afraid to take risks in this match. IMO the occasion got to them. Collingwood had nothing to lose and played accordingly. Geelong had everything to lose and played very cautiously.
- This was Geelong's worst performance of the last 20 weeks of the season, against an in form team.
- Given all these factors, Geelong still won.

Geelong's biggest weakness going into last year's finals was that we were unproven in big games. This is no longer an issue (a record breaking GF win will do that;)). The confidence level in the team is now much higher and I would dare say that the next time we play Collingwood we will be far more proactive and play the game on our terms. Then we will see how good Collingwood really are, and I truly believe that unless they can totally dictate the terms of the game, they don't come close to the Cats.

Adelaide and Sydney were being roundly condemned 3 weeks as going to struggle this year. I am not going to place any credence in such a small sample size of performance. They are still lower rung top 8 teams IMO

Hawthorn maybe? I agree, but it is only a maybe.

Although I don't think Kangaroos and Port are massive threats (look at what we did to them last year, and they have not improved this year) to say they overachieved in nonsense. No-one overachieves, you achieve what you achieve. You may exceed expectations, but overachieving is a myth.

So, I go back to my original statement:

Injuries are our biggest threat. At full strength, no-one can touch us.

I think some people are forgetting that Geelong never beat Hawthorn last year, so it'll be an interesting one this time around as we've always had trouble against them -- they just have more depth this year (according to Nathan Thompson) so it'll be even more difficult.

Collingwood will always be a danger. Their pressure really tests us and are one of the very few teams that knows how to give Geelong a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you guys rate as the biggest threat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back