Who had the "Grand Old Flag" club song first?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sturt definitely had it first.

When we changed it in the 80's to a variation of the Carlton song, there were a lot of people wanting to change it back because "screw that, why should we change, we had it first etc etc..".

Sorry mate, but the only question is: "Who had it first ... Norwood or Melbourne?".

Are you happy with Sturts season Clint ? If not what went wrong do you think ?

Not happy after last year. I know exactly what went wrong: players piss farting around during preseason and not being ready to go. It shows in the patchy results earlier in the season and a better win-loss ratio later in the year.

It's something that the club has corrected for next year. Whether we've got the personnel to put the plans in action and go further next year, I'm not sure.

definately melbourne.....they are the oldest clubs in australia and one of the oldest sporting club in the world..... maybe lockleys had it before sturt and norwood

With that logic you could prove anything, yes Melbourne are the oldest club but to suggest that they used the club song in 1858 is a bit rich.

With that logic you could prove anything, yes Melbourne are the oldest club but to suggest that they used the club song in 1858 is a bit rich.
it would be logical as they were around first, not saying they did, but just suggesting, with you logic sa amature clubs such as lockleys or hope valley could claim it......

it would be logical as they were around first, not saying they did, but just suggesting, with you logic sa amature clubs such as lockleys or hope valley could claim it......

wha , your saying that its theirs as they are the oldest. Im saying that doesnt prove anything. From my understanding club songs didnt come about untill the 20th century .

I have no idea (and to be honest, don't really care) who used "The Grand Old Flag" as their club song first.

What I can tell you however, is that the song is based on another, entitled "You're a Grand Old Flag" written by George M Cohan in 1906. It was subsequently performed in music halls and later vaudeville in the US where it became a popular marching song.

So...no one could have used it prior to 1906, and most likely not until after WW1 when it became a popular mainstay of American patriotism.

melbourne????.....they are the oldest clubs in australia and one of the oldest sporting club in the world..... maybe lockleys had it before sturt and norwood

I had a book somewhere around here which did actually say when Melbourne started using "It's a grand old flag" and who brought it to the club.
I'll have to hunt around for it and get back to you, I remember reading it several years ago.
North Hobart in the TFL were established in 1881 but didn't play senior football until 1895 and were known as the Redlegs and later the Robins until 1969 when John Devine was captain-coach and led a change to the Demons, they changed to that five rounds into the 1969 season.
They have always worn Red & Blue with the exception of about two years in the early 2000's when they joined the SFL and were forced to adopt a dark navy jumper with red and yellow flames on the stomach and stupid looking cartoon demon on the chest. Looked hideous, typical of the SFL.
I wouldn't know exactly when they started using the song, official club songs weren't a strong part of footballing culture here (at least not played on the PA system and sung on the ground) probably until the 1950's or 1960's in any case.
I know as a definite that Hobart Football Club's song "Hobart Forever Boys" with the Anchors Aweigh tune (same as East Perth) was penned by two Hobart life members in 1945, but the players used to sing a variety of different songs pre-1960's. I've heard at least three of them.

North Launceston used to be the Robins but always ran out onto York Park pre-mid 1980's to "Fly Robin Fly" but had the Essendon song officially as their club song.

Anyway, back to topic, best off asking some of the oldest supporters in the respective clubs, they're bound to know. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a book somewhere around here which did actually say when Melbourne started using "It's a grand old flag" and who brought it to the club.
I'll have to hunt around for it and get back to you, I remember reading it several years ago.
North Hobart in the TFL were established in 1881 but didn't play senior football until 1895 and were known as the Redlegs and later the Robins until 1969 when John Devine was captain-coach and led a change to the Demons, they changed to that five rounds into the 1969 season.
They have always worn Red & Blue with the exception of about two years in the early 2000's when they joined the SFL and were forced to adopt a dark navy jumper with red and yellow flames on the stomach and stupid looking cartoon demon on the chest. Looked hideous, typical of the SFL.
I wouldn't know exactly when they started using the song, official club songs weren't a strong part of footballing culture here (at least not played on the PA system and sung on the ground) probably until the 1950's or 1960's in any case.
I know as a definite that Hobart Football Club's song "Hobart Forever Boys" with the Anchors Aweigh tune (same as East Perth) was penned by two Hobart life members in 1945, but the players used to sing a variety of different songs pre-1960's. I've heard at least three of them.

North Launceston used to be the Robins but always ran out onto York Park pre-mid 1980's to "Fly Robin Fly" but had the Essendon song officially as their club song.

Anyway, back to topic, best off asking some of the oldest supporters in the respective clubs, they're bound to know. :)
cheers kingpin

Remove this Banner Ad

Who had the "Grand Old Flag" club song first?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back