Who has given up and is going for the league win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kid A

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I had entertained hopes of getting an overall win (top 50 first month, top 250 after 8 rounds with heaps of trades in hand) but a bunch of injuries threw off my season.

You may think this is a 'soft' option but I have now decided to play for the league win, as I'm playing against a bunch of mates who are all good DT'ers and there's a lot of pride at stake.

Anyone else gone this path? What it means is that I'm holding off on a few trades. I have Wona who has a BE of around 80 in the backline, but because there are several good options (eg Birchall) still to fall in the backline, and because no back has really stamped himself as a must have (aside from the top 2), I'm willing to wait a few weeks.

Likewise, I'm doing the unthinkable and not catching onto Franklin this week despite his very good price. The reason for this is I don't kno which one of Porps, Riewoldt & Deledio is best to trade out. Since I'm in no rush to trade in Franklin and money is not a major concern, I'm leaving a couple of weeks to see who out of the last three is the best to upgrade. The head says Porps but you never know; going on stats, it's Riewoldt, and he might never regain his 100 avg form.

Likewise I'm happy to hold onto Palmer, Griffen & Johnstone/Stevens as long as necessary before trading them for Corey, Bartel and Ablett. I have the trades and the cash but it's just a matter of timing for the league finals.

It's a frustrating way to play but sometimes you have to be patient. Do you agree? Anyone else doing this?

I'm sort of split.

There is no chance that I can win the overall competition, however, in saying that, I believe there's a pretty fair chance I can finish high up. I'm currently ranked 357.

Also on top of my league, and still in the Eliminator.

So, I haven't really concentrated on any of them. At the moment, just trying to do the best I can in all 3 and see how we go from there.

I'm going for both, but more for the overall.

I'm not going to win the thing, but I'm still aiming for a three figure ranking which was what I wanted at the start of the year. I'm a tick under 300 points off it at the moment so it's well within reach.

While winning the league would be nice, it's too unpredictable and I'm not keen on concentrating on it only to once again get knocked out in the prelims by a shit team having a freak week.

I had entertained hopes of getting an overall win (top 50 first month, top 250 after 8 rounds with heaps of trades in hand) but a bunch of injuries threw off my season.

You may think this is a 'soft' option but I have now decided to play for the league win, as I'm playing against a bunch of mates who are all good DT'ers and there's a lot of pride at stake.

Anyone else gone this path? What it means is that I'm holding off on a few trades. I have Wona who has a BE of around 80 in the backline, but because there are several good options (eg Birchall) still to fall in the backline, and because no back has really stamped himself as a must have (aside from the top 2), I'm willing to wait a few weeks.

Likewise, I'm doing the unthinkable and not catching onto Franklin this week despite his very good price. The reason for this is I don't kno which one of Porps, Riewoldt & Deledio is best to trade out. Since I'm in no rush to trade in Franklin and money is not a major concern, I'm leaving a couple of weeks to see who out of the last three is the best to upgrade. The head says Porps but you never know; going on stats, it's Riewoldt, and he might never regain his 100 avg form.

Likewise I'm happy to hold onto Palmer, Griffen & Johnstone/Stevens as long as necessary before trading them for Corey, Bartel and Ablett. I have the trades and the cash but it's just a matter of timing for the league finals.

It's a frustrating way to play but sometimes you have to be patient. Do you agree? Anyone else doing this?

Nope, still having a crack at the overall!!:)

In your situation, i guess it depends on what path your mates are taking. If they are all going for the overall lead (or trying to get as high as possible) then winning your league in those circumstances wouldn't really mean that much, would it??

Nope, still having a crack at the overall!!:)

In your situation, i guess it depends on what path your mates are taking. If they are all going for the overall lead (or trying to get as high as possible) then winning your league in those circumstances wouldn't really mean that much, would it??

They're going middle-of-the-road. I don't think any has a shot at an overall win but they're not being as conservative as me. Having said that, it won't be me running over the top of them as everyone's saving a few trades for finals.

going for the league win right from round 1 as our league is for cash - and of course bragging rights!

Don't want to mozz myself here, but I think I'm a damn good bet in my League.

Currently sitting second on percentage (.88%) with 7 wins and 1 loss.

I confidently predict, barring injuries, my finals lineup will be:

Shaw
Fisher
Mackie
Birchall
McDonald
Bradshaw
Cornes* (currently Wonaeamirri/Urquart)

Corey
Cornes
Hodge
Salopek
McLean
Bartel* (currently Palmer)

Sandilands
Simmonds

Brown
Reiwoldt
Chapman
Didak
Porplezia
Pavlich* (currently Rioli)
Murphy* (currently Tredrea)

* yet to be brought in. Or player of equivalient to < value

I should have this with still 5 trades remaining (currently have 9), and approximately 130k left in the bank. I should also have at least one player in reserve on each line.

Touch wood, eh.

i dont see the point in trading porpz he has a great average and hardly ever has a bad game. if he is the worst player in your team then you must be top 10.

yeah going for league, knocked out of eliminator and ranked 3200 something :(

i want to do palmer to bartel soon though, i want a geelong mid in there!! but im going to have to resist as i only have 3 trades, lol

i dont see the point in trading porpz he has a great average and hardly ever has a bad game. if he is the worst player in your team then you must be top 10.

He's my seventh forward.

Someone averaging 90 (like Porps) in the forward line is the same as someone averaging 75 in the backline. Good enough but you can always improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little confused. If you were originally going for 1st place then you'd be aimming to score as many points as possible per week. So if you're achieving this goal of scoring the max possible points with your team every week you'd be achieving the goal of winning your league games by scoring as many points as possible also.

So now that your rank isn't such a big deal you'd still be trying to maximise the amount of points you score each week anyway wouldn't you? Whether to win against your opponent or increase your percentage against a weak team.

So what's changed? The way I see it the aim of the game is still score as many points as you can each week.

Yep only thing left for me is a league win which I am sitting 4th on our ladder.
4 weeks ago I was in 112th overall then had a bad week.
Then 2 weeks ago I was still in 229th & had another shocker dropped over 310 spots to 540th.:mad: now sitting at 467th but way too far back now & only 8 trades left:(
So just aiming for a league win & maybe a top 500 spot

Nope, going for everything still, ranked 24th overall with 9 trades in hand, and the only player needing possible ugrade is Palmer:D

You are right though, injuries do ruin your dt and nothing u can do about it, its a sad thing i know, but i learnt from last year... the highest i went last year was about 500 and finished at about 1200 overall... but i told myself that i knew i could have easily been in the top 100...

Hopefully i finish strong this year, in the top 30 if nothing goes wrong... but feeling confident with a good amount of trades remaining:thumbsu:

I'm a little confused. If you were originally going for 1st place then you'd be aimming to score as many points as possible per week. So if you're achieving this goal of scoring the max possible points with your team every week you'd be achieving the goal of winning your league games by scoring as many points as possible also.

So now that your rank isn't such a big deal you'd still be trying to maximise the amount of points you score each week anyway wouldn't you? Whether to win against your opponent or increase your percentage against a weak team.

So what's changed? The way I see it the aim of the game is still score as many points as you can each week.

It's different because I no longer care what I score each week. (I'm 7-1 in my league and I'll easily make top 4.) I only care that I maximise my points scored in rounds 20-22.

if I wanted to maximise overall points I would likely go Porps -> Franklin this week as the slight utility of waiting to see which of Porps/Deledio/Riewoldt is best to trade out is cancelled by the fact that Franklin would likely outscore Porps by 15 each week (ie 45 extra points). You have to take risks like that.

As well, at this stage I am happy to hold off bringing in Gablett till rounds 16-18, or whenever his price dips (or whenever I figure out which of Stevens/Johnstone is a better trade out), when points-wise having him in as early as reasonable would be smarter.

Likewise if Drummond or any other player sits out for whatever reason I'll cop the zero instead of looking to trade. Only money & my final line-up in rounds 20-22 count; if I drop a few games that's ok. As well, I try and hold off trades whenever possible (eg-Wona) since the later you trade a player in, the better formline you get and the less likely he'll get injured. If you were going overall, you'd want to upgrade a player sooner rather than later. For me it doesn't matter whether I get Gablett/Franklin/Bartel/Corey now or in rounds 19 & 20.

And Big_tazz, looks like you're set for a cracker.

I hear where you are coming from, it's the only reason I've held onto players like Waters, Burton, Palmer and Rioli so long.

Saving trades is the most important thing if you are in the top four of your league.

I always go for the highest overall position I can get no matter what. I am in a competitive league with a group of friends though I firmly believe by going for overall I increase my chance at league success anyway because I am constantly looking for the best upgrade options.

In conclusion, overall>league in all circumstances IMO.

I'm sort of split.

There is no chance that I can win the overall competition, however, in saying that, I believe there's a pretty fair chance I can finish high up. I'm currently ranked 357.

Also on top of my league, and still in the Eliminator.

So, I haven't really concentrated on any of them. At the moment, just trying to do the best I can in all 3 and see how we go from there.

Same boat as me ey

I'm just focussing on eliminator now.

I've held top 500 but can't see myself getting close overall.

My league is full of duds so nothing to get excited about if i win that

Last week got a healthy 2176 - hoping to get through to round 18 at least in eliminator.

I reckon if I had gone for Franklin over BJ, and had Richo in my forwards - nearly had this combo at the start but changed - i reckon i would have been closer to top 100.

Should have pulled in Didak within the first 3 rounds too - just didn't have the balls

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has given up and is going for the league win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back