Who is Australia's best ever singer/songwriter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved Nick Cave in The Birthday Party but solo he comes across (to me) as the most pretentious w*nker imaginable. As soon as someone calls themselves an 'artist' is almost always the time to stop listening.

I wish all these 'artists' would define what they mean by 'art'. Most of them wouldn't be able to do so clearly.
Nick Cave is a national living treasure and an artist.
True renaissance man.
Plays guitar,piano,writes books,stars in movies.
Saving up for the jumper,not sure if I should get the black one or white one.
Screenshot_20240518_184834_Chrome.jpg

True renaissance man.
Plays guitar,piano,writes books,stars in movies.
Saving up for the jumper,not sure if I should get the black one or white one.
View attachment 1992836
I saw him twice with The Birthday Party, they were forkin incredible.

Rowland S. Howard was an amazing guitarist and Tracy Pew was… Tracy Pew. Irreplaceable. RIP.

I thought this was more solo singer/songwriters but if it's bands then Steve Kilbey gets my vote.

He wrote and sang one of the greatest songs of all time.

Not to mention all the other great Church songs he's written and sung, there's too many to mention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve only just caught this thread. As long as one accepts that living in Australia in the formative years aged from 12 to 2o, during which he started his stellar professional singing and songwriting career, qualifies him as being Australian, then Barry Gibb has to easily take the title of our greatest singer-songwriter - in commercial terms it ain’t close.

The Guinness World Records lists him as the second most successful songwriter in history, behind McCartney.

I’ve noted the Nick Cave "controversy" in this thread. I’ve long had a fascination with Cave. He was born and spent his early childhood in the small Wimmera town of Warracknabeal, close to where I was born and raised. He then moved to Wangaratta, where I also have relatives and know the place fairly well. My attitude to him has tended to bend and sway between antipathy and admiration at different points in time, as his music evolved and matured along with him. As so, I would have agreed with all of the following posts -
I loved Nick Cave in The Birthday Party but solo he comes across (to me) as the most pretentious w*nker imaginable. As soon as someone calls themselves an 'artist' is almost always the time to stop listening.

I wish all these 'artists' would define what they mean by 'art'. Most of them wouldn't be able to do so clearly.

True renaissance man.
Plays guitar, piano, writes books, stars in movies.

… Sorry, but I can't agree with you about Nick Cave, he doesn't have a good singing voice, his lyrics are dark and he never seems to have a happy or optimistic view of the world. Really depressing listening...
But is it somehow really possible for all of these contradictory statements to be largely true? I believe so, for as this very timely (for this article) ABC article explains, there have been many changes over the years in Nick Cave, who once bucked and sought to outrage the old suit-wearing conservative church going establishment - and now, when few go to church in this secular age, or wear suits, the now family oriented Nick wears well pressed suits and goes to church on Sunday -

"For most of his life, admits Nick Cave, Australia's baritone bard of the dark and deep "I was in awe of my own genius" and everything else existed on the periphery. Then his 15-year-old son, Arthur, died and that way of living "collapsed completely. I just saw the folly of that ... disgraceful sort of self-indulgence. ... I'm a father and I'm a husband and a grandfather and a kind of person of the world. These things are much more important to me than the concept of being an artist"...

… He's been many things. The post-punk, emaciated frontman of The Birthday Party, thrilling and terrifying audiences with wild, often violent, gigs amid blood-curdling calls to "release the bats". .., A heroin addict in a lime-green suit, busted by New York police ...

... A big part of that meaning has come through Cave's growing commitment to Christianity, a direction which alienated those fans who prefer a more godless idol. But, says Cave, he and the Bad Seeds have never been afraid to lose fans. … dressed, as usual nowadays, in a well-pressed suit.

The shrieking, scrawny servant of Beelzebub who landed in London in 1980 is now the besuited grandfather with a belief in the divine and a penchant for swimming in cold water. In his younger days, says Cave, his was an adversarial relationship with fans. "You went to war with the crowd in some kind of way," he says. Now, he sees music's role as creating a transcendent experience, a sharing of love between him and the audience. …" -

Last edited:
I’ve noted the Nick Cave « controversy » in this thread. I’ve long had a fascination with Cave. He was born and spent his early childhood in the small Wimmera town of Warracknabeal, close to where I was born and raised. He then moved to Wangaratta, where I also have relatives and know the place fairly well. My attitude to him has tended to bend and sway between antipathy and admiration at different points in time, as his music evolved and matured along with him. As so, I would have agreed with all of the following posts -

But is it somehow really possible for all of these contradictory statements to be largely true? I believe so, for as this very timely (for this article) ABC article explains, there have been many changes over the years in Nick Cave, who once bucked and sought to outrage the old suit-wearing conservative church going establishment - and now, when few go to church in this secular age, or wear suits, the now family oriented Nick wears well pressed suits and goes to church on Sunday -

"For most of his life, admits Nick Cave, Australia's baritone bard of the dark and deep "I was in awe of my own genius" and everything else existed on the periphery. Then his 15-year-old son, Arthur, died and that way of living "collapsed completely. I just saw the folly of that ... disgraceful sort of self-indulgence. ... I'm a father and I'm a husband and a grandfather and a kind of person of the world. These things are much more important to me than the concept of being an artist"...

… He's been many things. The post-punk, emaciated frontman of The Birthday Party, thrilling and terrifying audiences with wild, often violent, gigs amid blood-curdling calls to "release the bats". .., A heroin addict in a lime-green suit, busted by New York police ...

... A big part of that meaning has come through Cave's growing commitment to Christianity, a direction which alienated those fans who prefer a more godless idol. But, says Cave, he and the Bad Seeds have never been afraid to lose fans. … dressed, as usual nowadays, in a well-pressed suit.

The shrieking, scrawny servant of Beelzebub who landed in London in 1980 is now the besuited grandfather with a belief in the divine and a penchant for swimming in cold water. In his younger days, says Cave, his was an adversarial relationship with fans. "You went to war with the crowd in some kind of way," he says. Now, he sees music's role as creating a transcendent experience, a sharing of love between him and the audience. …" -
Nick Cave a big country fan.
His cover of 'Wanted Man' was approved by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is Australia's best ever singer/songwriter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back