Discussion Who is the best brother combo in the AFL

Which current sibling combo's are the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Maddog4

Senior List
Nov 12, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Strikers, Bloods, Bucks, Foxes
Hello everyone, I would like to know who you guys think is the best Brother combination from the same team in the AFL.
Here my opinion
Matt and Brad Crouch
Joel and Scott Selwood
Oscar and Tom Mcdonald
Andrew and Darren Jarmen
Gordon and Syd Coventry
Peter and Shaun Burgoyne
Anthony, Chris, Terry and Neale Daniher
Kane and Chad Cornes

Last edited:

I knew about them but i was more thinking about brothers who played on the same team
That's cool. Can you please edit the OP so nobody else gets confused. :thumbsu:

Easily the Coventry brothers if you are counting just 2 from the names you named.

Although the Colliers at Collingwood were also very good.

If you want to go back earlier the McShane brothers at Geelong were also very good at the inception of the VFL.

Then there were the Pannam brothers for Collingwood around that time.

Then there is the Rankin family at Geelong.

Easily the Coventry brothers if you are counting just 2 from the names you named.

Although the Colliers at Collingwood were also very good.

If you want to go back earlier the McShane brothers at Geelong were also very good at the inception of the VFL.

Then there were the Pannam brothers for Collingwood around that time.

Then there is the Rankin family at Geelong.
Looks like someones done their homework

Hello everyone, I would like to know who you guys think is the best Brother combination from the same team in the AFL.
Here my opinion
Oscar and Tom Mcdonald

The Cordners, Febeys or Smiths please.

Not the Healys, because Gerard is a campaigner.

I knew about them but i was more thinking about brothers who played on the same team

They Did. Do your homework next time.

Nankervis brothers, Krakouer brothers, Hocking brothers, Febey brothers, Cordy brothers. Morwood brothers, Carroll brothers, Kernahan brothers, Madden brothers, Voss brothers, Matera brothers.... so many you missed. Even right now the Curnow brothers will be quite a combination in 2018 season.

Krakoers closest thing to the Ablett brothers in terms of talented siblings on the one team. Krakouer combined the best though. Hockings not bad either.

They Did. Do your homework next time.

Nankervis brothers, Krakouer brothers, Hocking brothers, Febey brothers, Cordy brothers. Morwood brothers, Carroll brothers, Kernahan brothers, Madden brothers, Voss brothers, Matera brothers.... so many you missed. Even right now the Curnow brothers will be quite a combination in 2018 season.

Krakoers closest thing to the Ablett brothers in terms of talented siblings on the one team. Krakouer combined the best though. Hockings not bad either.
I was only naming a few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has never been, and we probably won't ever see again in this day and age of national drafting where family doesn't count, a sibling combo that even comes close to the Krakouer brothers...

Here my opinion
Matt and Brad Crouch
Joel and Scott Selwood
Oscar and Tom Mcdonald
Andrew and Darren Jarmen
Gordon and Syd Coventry
Peter and Shaun Burgoyne
Kane and Chad Cornes
Also didn't Scott Selwood also play with his brother Adam when he got picked up by West Coast? Think so.

Going by todays players which you have listed I'd Go the Hill brothers. While Joel Selwood is expectational Scott isn't same as the Crouch brothers. Both Hill brothers perform and are almost the same level of player Stephen being better.
If it was all time I'd say Syd and Gordon Coventry. I've got no idea who those sister's are

Syd Coventry - only player to captain 4 flags in a row. Won a Brownlow too.
Gordon Coventry - first player to 300 games, first player to kick 100 in a season, first player to kick 1000 in a career. Five flags from Ten Grand Finals.

Harry Collier, a Brownlow and 6 flags
Albert Collier, a Brownlow and 6 flags.
Brothers as Brownlow Medallists and they did it in successive years -1929 & 30.

Pat, Mick & Bill Twomey. All 3 brothers played in the same premiership team - 1953.

Along with the 3 Twomeys in 1953 there was also brothers Bill & Bob Rose plus Ron & Lou Richards.
Seven brothers from three families in the one premiership side.
The 3 Twomey brothers.
upload_2018-7-22_21-24-40.jpeg

Last edited:
Syd Coventry - only player to captain 4 flags in a row. Won a Brownlow too.
Gordon Coventry - first player to 300 games, first player to kick 100 in a season, first player to kick 1000 in a career. Five flags from Ten Grand Finals.

Harry Collier, a Brownlow and 6 flags
Albert Collier, a Brownlow and 6 flags.
Brothers as Brownlow Medallists and they did it in successive years -1929 & 30.

Pat, Mick & Bill Twomey. All 3 brothers played in the same premiership team - 1953.

Along with the 3 Twomeys in 1953 there was also brothers Bill & Bob Rose plus Ron & Lou Richards.
Seven brothers from three families in the one premiership side.
The 3 Twomey brothers.
View attachment 531313
Anyone with any knowledge of the VFL understands that Collingwood were THE powerhouse club of the competition. Poor old Bob Rose could not take a trick as coach and that 1964 GF loss was the beginning of a sad run as the CollieWOBBLES took hold. We loved it because we hated Collingwood but really it is all ancient history and we have all moved on Powerhouse Hawthorn is now the club we hate the most. Kevin Rose was a handy player for Collingwood and the younger Rose Robert who unfortunately was in a serious car accident that made him a quadriplegic at 22. I think there was another Ralph who also played for the Woodsman.

Anyone with any knowledge of the VFL understands that Collingwood were THE powerhouse club of the competition. Poor old Bob Rose could not take a trick as coach and that 1964 GF loss was the beginning of a sad run as the CollieWOBBLES took hold. We loved it because we hated Collingwood but really it is all ancient history and we have all moved on Powerhouse Hawthorn is now the club we hate the most. Kevin Rose was a handy player for Collingwood and the younger Rose Robert who unfortunately was in a serious car accident that made him a quadriplegic at 22. I think there was another Ralph who also played for the Woodsman.
Brothers Bill, Bob, Kevin and Ralph Rose all played senior football for Collingwood, while another brother (Colin) played Reserves.

Here my opinion
Matt and Brad Crouch
Joel and Scott Selwood
Oscar and Tom Mcdonald
Andrew and Darren Jarmen
Gordon and Syd Coventry
Peter and Shaun Burgoyne
Kane and Chad Cornes
What about Leigh and Kelvin Matthews?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Who is the best brother combo in the AFL