Who Takes The Blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

My main concerns to date are that we can be too easily shut down. If Davey or Moloney are well held we are going to struggle getting enough clean possession.

We also struggle massively with a good zone. Our handball happy gameplan breaks down all too easily and is all or nothing type football. When we are clean, protect the ball carrier and have options up field it looks excellent. But when we are under pressure, our intensity is down or our few targets are being beaten, it all falls to shit and is painful.

I'd consider Leigh Matthews in a heartbeat. Absolute champion coach and player. His record speaks for itself. He would command respect and make the tough calls. Just because he makes a few outlandish statements in media roles that spark a reaction (how suprising) doesn't change the fact he can coach. Only question would be if 'the game has gone past him', I'm in no position to really judge that.

Yeah massive no on Matthews, as senile as they come.

What man in their right mind would trade pick 14 for an unmotivated, lazy 28 year old Travis Johnstone?

I don't want him trading our first round pick for 30 year old Chris Tarrant.

Listening to his "special" comments as well has me absolutely convinced that he's has indeed lost his mind.

I don't know why everyone judges his media roles and relate it back to his coaching ability. And to write him off based on one trade...over 4 premierships..is not your best effort Dez.

I don't know why everyone judges his media roles and relate it back to his coaching ability. And to write him off based on one trade...over 4 premierships..is not your best effort Dez.

When that one trade cost them Jack Grimes and watching their midfield get bent over when Power and Black don't fire, I think it's quite justifiable.

Also I'm not talking about his outlandish statements, I'm talking about his "analysis" when he's commentating he just has no idea.

Finally a blind monkey with it's head up its ass could have coached that Lions team to those 3 Premierships.

What pisses me off is the close losses to top teams. They mean absolutely nothing when we have been beaten by 2 teams below us on the ladder.

Going by the form of the team so far this year we will lose to the saints by less than a goal come Sunday night.

I think there's too much overreacting in this thread.

If people can't see how much we've improved this season, then they are either blind or ignorant. You've gotta remember, it was never a realistic expectation to make the finals right after winning two consecutive spoons. However, with a bit of luck in our games versus Collingwood and Bulldogs, we would have been on the fringe of the eight. Instead, we're probably on track for 7-8 wins which is a definate improvement.

Totally agree with this. I've said it before but everyone at the start of the season was saying that 6-8 wins would be a successful season. We win 3 in a row in the first 5 rounds and all of a sudden that preseason goal goes out the window?

When that one trade cost them Jack Grimes and watching their midfield get bent over when Power and Black don't fire, I think it's quite justifiable.

Also I'm not talking about his outlandish statements, I'm talking about his "analysis" when he's commentating he just has no idea.

Finally a blind monkey with it's head up its ass could have coached that Lions team to those 3 Premierships.
Leigh Matthews coaching ability has nothing to do with how well we used pick 14. We have no idea how Brisbane would have used pick 14 in their possession.

I read in another thread you can't discount a win, and now you discount 3 premierships, in a row. By your logic you don't rate Mark Thompson. Even great sides need to be coached. Team of champions Vs. champion team.

Anyway. I think Bailey has untill 2011 to show us if he's up to it. If we are struggling by mid 2011 then I think he's going to be under the hammer.

Dunn is a great example of a player that we need to make a call on.

Leave him in the side. Leave him in one position. Forward. And lets see if he can make it his own. F**k moving him up the ground to play a run with role just because he can. I mean shit its not like we draft midfielders to do that!

Dunn is a great example of a player that we need to make a call on.

Leave him in the side. Leave him in one position. Forward. And lets see if he can make it his own. F**k moving him up the ground to play a run with role just because he can. I mean shit its not like we draft midfielders to do that!

Agree. Has the attributes to be the forward option we so badly need for the next 2-3 years until Watts developes into the role.

No to Leigh Matthews, a good coach who coached a great sidehe has to be given credit for that. However he recently wrote an atricle stating game plans were overrated, enough said.

I am willing to give miller and dunn a break this week, we only had 29 inside 50's which is pathetic and we were lucky to only lose by 44 points. The midfield need to take some ownership on such a poor defensive effort and getting spanked at the clearences.

I am all for giving some younger players a chance, but they need to be picked with some kind of form to themselves the best chance to playing good AFL footy and building their confidence.

And can we please just start a game well, we've been outscored by 85 points in the first 10 minutes this year, the next worst side is around 40 points (for memory).

The way you're travelling is a good thing I think.

If you were overachieving, you might make list mistakes and reward average players with new contracts.

You will have another list clean out at the end of this season, and get rid of a lot of dead wood that won't help your team improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Takes The Blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back