Who Umpires Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

i umpire in sthe sydney city region and have done a few north side games.

basically sydney city only goes upto u/13s but north side goes up to u/16s.

central umped for 20years plus . from u/12s to agrade country agrade suburban and all grades in between .should of gone higher but couldnt stand league egos even though i ran them off their feet.

I goal umpire in the BDAFL (central coast & newcastle) with borgsta. Umpired here for 6 years with 2 years prior in the central coast juniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You couldn't stand their egos or they couldn't stand yours? Sounds like it could be the latter...?

Nah, i'd agree. I trialed with the VFL for a few weeks (leaving as i returned to school) and found alot the guys to be quite egotistical. The whole department is backwards. They have the basic attitude of if you can run and bounce, we'll teach you how to umpire, but other country championships i attended were the complete opposite. The expect you to put umpiring first before uni/school - which is now impossible with my course - despite the fact that umpires aren't even professionals themselves. I'm not the only one who holds this perception

Nah, i'd agree. I trialed with the VFL for a few weeks (leaving as i returned to school) and found alot the guys to be quite egotistical. The whole department is backwards. They have the basic attitude of if you can run and bounce, we'll teach you how to umpire, but other country championships i attended were the complete opposite. The expect you to put umpiring first before uni/school - which is now impossible with my course - despite the fact that umpires aren't even professionals themselves. I'm not the only one who holds this perception

I must admit I disagree with every point you have made in your previous post. You only get out of it what you put in and you clearly musn't have taken the time to get to know the VFL guys (in the space of just a few weeks) to realise they are far from egotistical. From past experience I have noticed that it is the guys who trial are the ones who seems to have tickets on themselves after obviously being a big fish in a little pond at their local assoications and are brought back to earth after spending x years at the higher level.
Kevin Mitchell can come across harsh at first but that is simply because he is testing the guys out mentally, for if you can't handle the shit from a wily old bloke like him then what hope have you got of dealing with things at the elite level.

I umpire in the Moorabbin Junior Footy League. I'm not much of an ego guy, I don't like shouting out after every non mark that it's play on, I just want to help the game run and flow.

I must admit I disagree with every point you have made in your previous post. You only get out of it what you put in and you clearly musn't have taken the time to get to know the VFL guys (in the space of just a few weeks) to realise they are far from egotistical. From past experience I have noticed that it is the guys who trial are the ones who seems to have tickets on themselves after obviously being a big fish in a little pond at their local assoications and are brought back to earth after spending x years at the higher level.
Kevin Mitchell can come across harsh at first but that is simply because he is testing the guys out mentally, for if you can't handle the shit from a wily old bloke like him then what hope have you got of dealing with things at the elite level.

You're probably right, as i was running with other trial guys, who did indeed have several tickets on themselves

But i've heard many other guys say that they expect you to put umpiring as your number one priority, which is unreasonable for most. I liked kevin mitchell, but they always choose athletes over umpires

I must admit I disagree with every point you have made in your previous post. You only get out of it what you put in and you clearly musn't have taken the time to get to know the VFL guys (in the space of just a few weeks) to realise they are far from egotistical.

I think you are right, to a certain extent. Although, in the push to the top or when placed under pressure, some guys can act a bit egotistical, even if they don't mean be. (The ego can act outwardly or inwardly...)

There are plenty of examples where a fitter umpire has been chosen to go up to the VFL over a naturally better decision maker and/or communicator. To say it doesn't happen isn't quite true. This isn't to say that all of the fitter umpires lack these assets. An umpire who doesn't quite get into the right position but has an excellent decision making ability, can often make more correct decisions than an umpire who has the fitness to always be in the "right position", but doesn't have quite as much decision-making ability, or experience. All factors need to be taken into account. At the moment, I think there seems to be a weighting towards fitter umpires.

i tend to agree with this from my own experiences over here in adelaide, it is the blokes trialling that have ego issues not the blokes already out there. Mind you a couple of the afl boys over here in adelaide tend to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Umpires Local Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back