Who was worse, Meatloaf or Angry Anderson?

Worst Grand Final performance, Angry Anderson, Meatloaf, or other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A
Angry was made to look worse by the cameras cutting to the Olympic athletes cracking up - not his fault, but channel 7's production.
Lisa Martin and Yobes Ondieki got the giggles. I think they were probably laughing at Angry, but you can't really blame them. The whole set-up was very awkward and Angry was a comical sight: a bald-headed midget dressed like a bikie, standing out in the middle of the ground and screaming the chorus by himself. But Angry held his end up and was made to look bad by the AFL and Channel 7.

It amuses me that people always refer the performance from Angry Anderson when discussing the crappy AFL Grand Final entertainment. The implication is that everything we've seen from 1992-2010 has been better. It hasn't. As cheesy as it was, I'd take "Bound For Glory" any day over medleys from Australian Idol contests.

Ignorant comment. Rose Tattoo's self-titled debut is probably the greatest album by an Australian rock band. Thirty years on and their first three albums still sound good. They are still revered by hard rock fans around the world. Not many bands from this country have received the kudos given to Rose Tattoo. Underrated on these shores. People like yourself just think of Angry Anderson's self-parody solo stuff from the 80's.

Angry Anderson's name has always been synonymous for the hilarious '91 Grand Final entertainment, but any criticism directed his way is unfair. Blame the AFL for doing it on the cheap. Blame the arse-clown who was in charge of organizing it. There was nothing wrong with Angry's performance.

The problem was getting a singer of rock band to stand out in the middle of an oval all by himself singing along to a cheesy backing tape. Watched on by an assortment of Olympic athletes who sat there like dummies in a line of convertibles, wondering why they were there and what they were supposed to do while Angry sang. Preceded, of course, by Rob de Castella giving us his Olympic "Bound For Glory" speech whilst standing up in a "batmobile".

It wasn't Angry. It was the whole "package". Slapped together in two hours with a few phone calls and $500. The AFL probably didn't hire an "entertainment director" back in 1991. They probably just asked for a volunteer from their office to organize something a few days prior.

It amuses me that people always refer the performance from Angry Anderson when discussing the crappy AFL Grand Final entertainment. The implication is that everything we've seen from 1992-2010 has been better. It hasn't. As cheesy as it was, I'd take "Bound For Glory" any day over medleys from Australian Idol contests.

Idiotic comment.

Rose Tattoo's self-titled debut is probably the greatest album by an Australian rock band. Thirty years on and their first three albums still sound good today. They are lauded globally by hard rock fans. Not many bands from this country have received the recognition given to Rose Tattoo.

Angry Anderson's name has always been synonymous for the hilarious '91 Grand Final entertainment, but any criticism directed his way is unfair. Blame the AFL for doing it on the cheap. Blame the arse-clown who was in charge of organizing it. There was nothing wrong with Angry's performance. The problem was getting a singer of rock band to stand out in the middle of an oval all by himself singing along to a cheesy backing tape while an assortment of Olympic athletes sat around in convertibles wondering why they were there and looking embarrassed. Preceded, of course, by Rob de Castella giving us his Olympic speech whilst standing up in a "batmobile"

Uh oh.

Evidence that there's a glitch in the Matrix.

As a fan of early Rose Tattoo, it pains me to say Angry was worse. Maybe it was the Batmobile that tipped it over the edge; maybe it was the shitty, windy VFL Park weather, but the performance was an embarrassment to the entire country. At least we can laugh at Meat Loaf and say he isn't ours.

Cheers for that. Made me a little sad though, Angry seems to be losing it a little. And gaining it around the middle!

Haha, Angry's been fat since the 80's. A review of Southern Stars (1984) panned the album cover, claiming that depicting Angry without a gut was "like painting Michael Jackson white"! :eek:

RoseTattooSouthernStars.jpg

Haha, Angry's been fat since the 80's. A review of Southern Stars (1984) panned the album cover, claiming that depicting Angry without a gut was "like painting Michael Jackson white"! :eek:

Always remembered Angry as a big guy, not an almost round guy though. Maybe my memory is a bit clouded though, my first memory of Angry was his philantropic work in the 90's, before I got into Rose Tattoo

Always remembered Angry as a big guy, not an almost round guy though. Maybe my memory is a bit clouded though, my first memory of Angry was his philantropic work in the 90's, before I got into Rose Tattoo

Maybe his weight's fluctuated a bit since the mid-80's, haven't taken much notice since then. But the paunch was evident even when the Tatts were still decent.

[YOUTUBE]-ZZnhBQXRaI[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least Angry gave his best shot and it came out a bit funny, amusing, you actually could understand him, and its a bit nostalgic when looking back on it today.

Meatloaf's performance came way passed his prime and needs to hang up the boots. He was just plain crap.

Lionel Ritchie is still the bench mark.

I'd always hated Meatloaf but that disgrace of a Grand Final just sealed it for me ever more. Easily one of the most overrated albums of all time and easily the worst offering in the way of Grand Final "entertainment".

Of course, if the geniuses in charge of the AFL realised that it's not the Superbowl and fans actually only want to watch the footy we might get lucky and they'll scrap it altogether.

Bring back the marching bands. At least you can ignore them. Meatloaf's impersonation (albeit convincing) of an injured elephant seal less so.

AFL Grand Final Entertainment

Never to be changed, same every year:

Set up stage.

Mike Brady: Up There Cazaly (plus two other songs)

Paul Kelly: Leaps and Bounds (plus two other classics)

Mark Seymour: Holy Grail (plus two other classics)

So easy!

AFL Grand Final Entertainment

Never to be changed, same every year:

Set up stage.

Mike Brady: Up There Cazaly (plus two other songs)

Paul Kelly: Leaps and Bounds (plus two other classics)

Mark Seymour: Holy Grail (plus two other classics)

So easy!

If you're going for Seymour, may as well get the Hunters & Collectors in full and play Throw Your Arms Around Me - infinetly better song than Holy Grail

Ignorant comment. Rose Tattoo's self-titled debut is probably the greatest album by an Australian rock band. Thirty years on and their first three albums still sound good. They are still revered by hard rock fans around the world. Not many bands from this country have received the kudos given to Rose Tattoo. Underrated on these shores. People like yourself just think of Angry Anderson's self-parody solo stuff from the 80's.

Angry Anderson's name has always been synonymous for the hilarious '91 Grand Final entertainment, but any criticism directed his way is unfair. Blame the AFL for doing it on the cheap. Blame the arse-clown who was in charge of organizing it. There was nothing wrong with Angry's performance.

The problem was getting a singer of rock band to stand out in the middle of an oval all by himself singing along to a cheesy backing tape. Watched on by an assortment of Olympic athletes who sat there like dummies in a line of convertibles, wondering why they were there and what they were supposed to do while Angry sang. Preceded, of course, by Rob de Castella giving us his Olympic "Bound For Glory" speech whilst standing up in a "batmobile".

It wasn't Angry. It was the whole "package". Slapped together in two hours with a few phone calls and $500. The AFL probably didn't hire an "entertainment director" back in 1991. They probably just asked for a volunteer from their office to organize something a few days prior.

Well said and with a bit of inside information I can assure you thats how it happened.

Hahaha, if this is all just a dream then why can't the AFL get John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley to do the f@$&@ Grand Final entertainment?
The local dealers, bottle shop owners and McDonalds franchisee's would love it. They'd make a killing.

And Chewy, I was never a fan, but you're right about Rose Tattoo. You'd be stunned if I told you some of the places I've heard We Can't Be Beaten blaring out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was worse, Meatloaf or Angry Anderson?

Back