Who will finish higher - Sydney, W Bulldogs or GWS?

Who will finish higher - Sydney, Bulldogs and GWS

• Sydney

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • W Bulldogs

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 52 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring-Back-Powell

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners
The big question on everyone's mind is who will finish higher after round 23 out of Sydney, Bulldogs or GWS? My prediction in brackets.

Sydney (3)- the ultimate professionals who give their supporters value for money year in year out. Clearly had the league's best percentage and defence last year, despite a few pre season calls of them possibly missing the finals.
No reason this side can't finish top 4 again but Longmire may face some heat for the first time in his coaching career should they lose their 3rd grand final in 4 years.

W Bulldogs (2) nothing much to say other than what a truly magnificent achievement in 2016. With a better injury run during the h&a season, they should finish higher than 7th and should be aiming internally for a top 2 finish, thus ultimately hosting VIC finals the whole series.

GWS (1) - seems to be everyone's tip for a top 2 finish and you can see why with their amazing array of talent. Probably the only thing they need to work on is winning the close ones as their losses to Melbourne, West Coast and of course Bulldogs proved very costly in terms of a) finishing top and b) making a grand final.

:cool:Well at least the OP didn't say we need Mummy to have any chance. I'm sure our coaching staff will take on board the notion that it's better to win games than lose them. We're new and still learning. Dont see we had a lot of choice though. Sometimes the opposition plays a bit better than us. We'll try to keep it to a minimum.
To answer the question. I dont know but I'm looking forwatd to the season. Any of the three could, and Geelong, WC and the Crows could finish higher than any of the three. Surprises aren't uncommon either.

I'm sure our coaching staff will take on board the notion that it's better to win games than lose them. We're new and still learning. Dont see we had a lot of choice though. Sometimes the opposition plays a bit better than us. We'll try to keep it to a minimum.
I'm not sure of your point, but GWS lost all the nail-biters (result decided by 6 points or less) they were involved in. Surely that will be something they've worked on over summer.

Be a bloody miracle if Sydney finish top 3

I know they keep turning up year after year, but they've got an average bottom 6 players and their defence and attack are good but not great on paper

But by Jove are they well coached

This is going to be one lopsided poll.
One Premiership contender, one in doubt for the top 4 and the other in doubt for the top 8

Probably GWS. I feel we might have overachieved a bit last year with so many young guys in our starting side each week.

I'm not sure of your point, but GWS lost all the nail-biters (result decided by 6 points or less) they were involved in. Surely that will be something they've worked on over summer.
Dont see it. 2016 was the first year we closed games out when we had to. Check out Geelong in Canberra or Freo in Perth. The GC game at Metricon our cage was well and truly rattled and we won. Sadly injuries to their players helped but we didn't fold.
The Melbourne game, the WC game and the PF we were outplayed by good sides.Dont see anything hugely significant.
If the games going well the opposition just aren't that close.
We've played two finals, beaten the minor premiers and lost by a little more than goal to the premiers. Not seeing a problem there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big question on everyone's mind is who will finish higher after round 23 out of Sydney, Bulldogs or GWS? My prediction in brackets.

Sydney (3)- the ultimate professionals who give their supporters value for money year in year out. Clearly had the league's best percentage and defence last year, despite a few pre season calls of them possibly missing the finals.
No reason this side can't finish top 4 again but Longmire may face some heat for the first time in his coaching career should they lose their 3rd grand final in 4 years.

W Bulldogs (2) nothing much to say other than what a truly magnificent achievement in 2016. With a better injury run during the h&a season, they should finish higher than 7th and should be aiming internally for a top 2 finish, thus ultimately hosting VIC finals the whole series.

GWS (1) - seems to be everyone's tip for a top 2 finish and you can see why with their amazing array of talent. Probably the only thing they need to work on is winning the close ones as their losses to Melbourne, West Coast and of course Bulldogs proved very costly in terms of a) finishing top and b) making a grand final.
Sydney

GWS is the better side on paper IMO, but I have to go with Sydney. They've been in the top half of the ladder pretty consistently over the past decade, and that long term experience combined with a still-fantastic list should help them clinch one or two more close wins than GWS.

Having said that, if GWS want to make this their year, they mentally steel themselves, win those close games, get top spot and ride it through to the GF. Essentially, it's up to them if they're going to get top spot or not. Just not going to predict them doing so until I see why kind of output they give in some close, hard contests.

Bulldogs could get there, but lets not forget that what they did exceptionally wasn't win so many games to finish top 4, but rather have themselves right at the pointy end of the season, and then blow everyone away with a stellar streak of form. If they're more consistent this year they could end up top 4 again, but I certainly wouldn't be tipping them to get top spot.

Also, honestly believe West Coast are a chance at a top 2 finish. No top tier ruckmen sucks, but we have quality players all over the ground. Last year they let some games go that they really shouldn't have; if they want top 2 this year, they have to win those games (obviously).

I find it so strange that people can say they think Sydney are going to finish ahead of the other two. The amount of improvement in GWS and the bullies from age and pick ups is huge. Sydney have lost one of their best young midfielders in ticth, have had a few retirements and have age catching up with a few. This in on top of already having shallow depth makes them finishing above those two a really weird call.

^
This

Longmire is a genius imo

The Sydney side on paper is not a top 4 side imo, let alone top 2

But what they produce each week is brilliant

Some of their success should be attributed to their unique home ground advantage (tiny ground) but not enough to take away from Longmire's achievements

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will finish higher - Sydney, W Bulldogs or GWS?

Back