who would u pick in the 08 Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was in & out of the side in 2009.
In 2010 he finished 6th in the B&F of a Premiership Side.
If that isn't greatly better, St. Kilda aren't in turmoil off the field.

Plus he kicked 26 goals and averaging 20 disposals and 3 tackles per game while splitting time in the forward line and midfield.

He may have run out of legs by finals time, but he was superb during the H&A season.

Plus he kicked 26 goals and averaging 20 disposals and 3 tackles per game while splitting time in the forward line and midfield.

He may have run out of legs by finals time, but he was superb during the H&A season.

It will be interesting to see who ends up the better of Beams and Sidebottom. Beams was clearly better during the H and A, but Sidebottom's finals series was all class, while Beams struggled. Was Beams simply tired or is he not a big game player? I guess time will tell.

Beams was stiff not to win the ANZAC Medal last year, so he has performed on the big stage in the past. As you said, time will tell. He needs to pull his head in off the field.

He was in & out of the side in 2009.
In 2010 he finished 6th in the B&F of a Premiership Side.
If that isn't greatly better, St. Kilda aren't in turmoil off the field.

Because finishing 6th at collingwood is so much harder than at other clubs?

1. Watts
2. Hill
3. Hurley
4. Sidebottom
5. Naitanui
6. Hannebery

I still think Watts will be the clear best player from this draft.

Almost spot on, but I'd move Hannebery up to 3 and Sidebottom to 6. Love the way he goes about it.

1. Watts
2. Hill
3. Hannebery
4. Hurley
5. Naitanui
6. Sidebottom

Also agree that, when all is said and done, Watts will be the best out of that draft.

The comparison between Hurley and Watts is a good one. For mine, Watts is pretty similar to Gumbleton as alluded to by another Bomber supporter. They're both very high draft picks, both incredibly athletic, and have shown signs of becoming very good players. However, neither has the runs on the board like Hurley has.

Watts is far quicker and possesses better endurance, but I think Hurley has a better footy brain and has better disposal. It's not that Watts is lacking in these areas (far from it), but it's these two areas that allows Hurley to be a good player sans these athletic gifts. Hurley can also play both ends. I would love to have both on Essendon's list, but I'd choose proven performance over incredible potential.

I'm betting you would get a similar result if you asked Dees fans to choose between Frawley and Watts. Frawley is very quick, but his ceiling is not as high as that of Watts. Still, Dees fans would be stupid to choose Watts in this scenario.

All fans would choose Frawley because he's an AA player, neither Watts or Hurley are even close to his level at this stage of their respective careers.

well he smashed Riewoldt twice, and it never seemed to warry Lake or Mal Michael now did it. there is so much more about being a great defender, you would think Fletcher would do better on Riewoldt, but no it is Hurley which does fantastic.

I would love to see Watts trying to take a pack mark with Hurley closing in, it would be fantastic. Even better if Hurley and Pears closing in, that is when you see the character of a player.
Michael made Riewoldt cry, Hurley could make Watts cry.

i would hardly call reiwoldt kicking 4.2 being smashed, its not reiwoldts job to stop hurley getting cheap kicks in the backline

in fact reiwoldt clearly outmuscled him many times, as you would expect

Interesting little discussion this is.

The clear number one choice for me is Stephen Hill. He has the X factor and damaging boot that will make him a star when he puts a little more weight on.

Then it gets a little tougher. On untapped potential that looks highly promising, I would be saying both Chris Yarran and Nic Natainui, but on actual performance I would have to go with Daniel Rich and Steele Sidebottom next, closely followed by Hannebery and Beams. Dayne Beams getting very little love in this thread, but remember he was top 3 in the rising star last year, and if he was eligible like Hannebery this year he probably would have won it. A disappointing finals series lowers him a little, but on performance so far he is clearly top 5. Michael Hurley would come under the title most likely to be a key position star. He hasn't been exceptional in a heap of games, but he looks like not only does he belong, but he will grow in stature over the next five years and become a star.

Then there are guys that are harder to read. For mine Jack Ziebell comes under this banner. He could become a mini Goddard or he could be one of those unlucky guys that finds ways to get injured (Goddardish). He looks talented but I wanna see more before I rate him above others.

Jack Watts is only being mentioned because he is the number one pick, but having said that, he was a number one pick for a reason. He looks to have a little class and has plenty of development left in him. Melbourne seem to be doing a great job with their younger players and he will get every chance to be the key position gun they need. In all honesty I have no idea, but I have a hunch he will never be the superstar the Dees were hoping for, but will be a quality AFL player.

Hartlett is impossible to read because he hasn't been fit, so I don't know how anyone could consider him. For now:

On performance:
1. Sidebottom
2. Rich
3. Beams
4. Hill
5. Hannebery

On superstar potential:
1. Natainui
2. Hill
3. Hurley
4. Yarran
5. Sidebottom

Overall for me:

1. Hill
2. Natainui
3. Sidebottom
4. Hurley
5. Rich
6. Beams
7. Yarran
8. Davis
9. Hannebery
10. Ziebell

This is the year that will change all perceptions though, I think. Some might seem unable to develop further, others will ignite, while excuses will be harder to find in year 3.

Because finishing 6th at collingwood is so much harder than at other clubs?

Erm... Yeah, it is.

6th in the Pies B&F means more than 6th in the WCE B&F.

Not that Collingwood is above all clubs. A similar finish in any of the top five clubs would be impressive for a player Beams' age.

Tom Rockliff says hello.

All you guys seem to forget all about him. Biggest possession winner by a fair margin and has shown he knows what to do with it.
Few would pick Rockliff in the top ten and as a future star.

Redden, Banfield and Garlett will be better footballers than Rockliff.

The latter has kicked close to 40 goals in spite of his lack of size.
The clear number one choice for me is Stephen Hill. He has the X factor and damaging boot that will make him a star when he puts a little more weight on.

Dayne Beams getting very little love in this thread, but remember he was top 3 in the rising star last year, and if he was eligible like Hannebery this year he probably would have won it. A disappointing finals series lowers him a little, but on performance so far he is clearly top 5.

On performance:
1. Sidebottom
2. Rich
3. Beams
4. Hill
5. Hannebery
Hill has been better than Beams to date.

Better without the ball than Beams who doesn't have jets.

Just plodded along and didn't go that hard after Murphy and Yarran burned off him.

In 2009, Hill went back hard at Carrarra and threw himself in front of a leading Fevola to rush a point.

Jet.

Along with Swan, Pendlebury, Ball, Didak, Thomas, Sidebottom, etc, Beams is the eighth to tenth banana as part of Collingwood's rotations. Less expectations on Beams than Hill who is already getting tagged in his second season.

B & F is an indication of a player meeting the coaches' plans and talent, not talent alone. Russell finished second ahead of Murphy, Simpson and Gibbs in our B & F last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...a-forward-target/story-e6frf9ox-1225906527674

Piercing the forward-50 arc and finding a teammate is the toughest kick in football, given the congestion of the modern game, and Beams, in only his second AFL season, is the best exponent of it in the game.
Of the top 50 kickers into the forward 50, Beams has clearly the best retention rate in the competition.
If he has his hands on the ball and pumps it within scoring distance, Collingwood keeps hold of it 62 per cent of the time.
The competition average in retaining the ball from kicks inside 50 is only 46.5 per cent.
The 20-year-old's ability to hit players within scoring range has boosted Beams' "score involvement" numbers into the elite category.
This year, Beams has been credited with 157 score involvements, which ranks seventh in the competition

It's quite laughable how underrated Beams is here in this discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

who would u pick in the 08 Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back