Who's next after Haddin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Matthew Wade? He's played a few tests as a dedicated batsman than as the wicket keeper in 2013 and looked ok, but made some mistakes, dropped a few catches, missed some stumpings and didn't look very convincing. But he's probably going to get the gig because he's currently keeping in the ODIs.

Tim Paine? Hasn't played in a test since 2011 and was touted as a potential Australian test captain in a HUN article.

I don't keep up with state cricket because it's pretty bloody boring and listening to James Brayshaw talk about his "cricket days" makes my head hurt.

Last edited:

If the selectors think Whiteman is the long term option but not quite ready they should give Hartley a go. Wade is a very poor keeper although he has improved. His attitude isn't great either. Handscomb isn't really a keeper. Paine has never kicked on. Neville is a decent option but not sure about him.

Selectors will go with Wade. From the little I've seen (mostly via the streams, which to be honest aren't the bext for judging keepers) I would have Hartley - but I always believe that Test cricket is like finals - you always pick the best team for now, the future can wait.

Whiteman and Ludeman are both good prospects. Whiteman is probably the better of the two.
Paine has been OK but not great since his finger injuries and every keeper except Wade has overtaken him with the gloves (and the bat, not that I think that should be a major consideration).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the moment will come till the end of this series. Australian selectors don't drop keepers in the middle especially with all the selection turmoil going on thanks to injury.

When the time comes though it may be Whiteman. They have shown a willingness in the past to pick who they think will be the future and Whiteman looks the most complete.

I think Wade will get first crack. He's a decent batsmen but a fairly ordinary keeper at international level from all that I've seen.

Not sure who else could realistically come after Wade. By all means, Hartley should've gotten a bit of a run a couple of season ago but he hasn't reached the heights of previous seasons with the bat although he's still comfortably the best gloveman in Australia IMO.

Would prefer Whiteman or Paine to get the nod over Wade.

I'd go for Whiteman myself.
Wade has had his chance at international level, and his glovework is just too sloppy.
"had his chance"? One chance? I wonder what our previous 4 Test captains think of players just getting one chance?

Peter Handscomb is averaging over 100 this year in the shield and he's only 23. More batsman than keeper but it doesn't hurt South Africa having AB keep.
That's exactly the knock on Wade, that he is more batsman than keeper.

Whiteman won't get selected yet, he's had too poor of a run with the bat. Hartley or Neville for mine, just good honest cricketers. That's all I want in a keeper at the moment.

And Wade's keeping is still subpar.
No, its improved.

Anyway, for those raising Nevill as a chance. Surely Carters is worth mentioning too. Better record in the past few years, although isn't currently keeping. Certainly can 'keep.

No, its improved.

Anyway, for those raising Nevill as a chance. Surely Carters is worth mentioning too. Better record in the past few years, although isn't currently keeping. Certainly can 'keep.

Carters isn't much of a keeper imo.

With Handscomb is one of those guys who could keep if needed but to be selected needs to be selected on batting alone.

I'd consider him as a limited overs keeper though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's next after Haddin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back