Who's offered the big bucks for Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with you here mate, I'd definitely have him over Cloke.

More versatile, more consistent and would probably be on lower money than what Cloke is asking for. He's averaging nearly 25 touches a game and is 27, we would probably get 4-5 years out of him I would think and would be a great weapon to have in the side due to his utility player attributes. Would rather get Goddard for say 500k a year and guys like Chaplin, Knights Stevens on maybe another 500k between them than spending a 1 mill on Cloke. We can find value out in the market and we lack depth across the park so rather we got multiple players to strengthen us everywhere rather than splurging on a player who would probably only come to us for the cash...
Agree with you ...we have many holes to fill. Goddard is quality depth. As is Chaplin. Stevens or players come out of contract at GC Suns.

Dermie today says 'a rival club' has offered big (impossible to knock back) bucks for Goddard.

I don't want to argue the point about this, just chewing the fat.
Do you think it could be us? Or Dermie's Hawks? Or the Pies, Blue etc?

Dimma needs to pull a few rabbits out of his hat over the pre-season for us to take another step up as a playing squad.
Could this be one rabbit?

Anyone heard anything?

Cheers

Chewing the fat?

Not us. But cannot fathom the down hill skier stuff. He's stale at St.Kilda I reckon and probably really flat after they've given it a shake and look a fair way off.
He's Grand Final performances are legendary in my eyes and I hold him in the highest regard.
The 2010 game against the pies is the obvious standout but I rate his 09 GF against the cats as a super tough and big time game. Has it all. Down hill skier my arse.
Am hearing however that we are very very much into Cloke. Still not sure how I feel about that. He's obviously a gun but the terms concern me.

Just a thought ! and just thought not that i would condone or want it to happen ''BUT'' SAY
We have now gotten rid of some of our dead wood big earners in
McGuane - $400k
Moore - $350k
Graham - $300k
Miller - $200k
Newman vets list saving - $200k

Thats over $1.450million :eek: ............... Humour me here guys because according to some people that are the type of Dollars these spuds were on !

We get Cloke @ $800k
We get Goddard @ $800k
We get Chaplin @ 300k ............. Thats $1.9 mill (only $450k more than we were paying this year)

#9- Kennedy,Stringer,Garlett,Wines, O’Rourke,Mayes
#29- Pongracic, Atkins , Haynes , Membrey
#31- 1 of the above players to fall

Would We be challenging for a top 4 spot with these inclusions ?

Just a thought ! and just thought not that i would condone or want it to happen ''BUT'' SAY
McGuane - $400k
Moore - $350k
Graham - $300k
Miller - $200k

Thats over $1.450million :eek: ............... Humour me here guys because according to some people that are the type of Dollars these spuds were on !

We get Cloke @ $800k
We get Goddard @ $800k
We get Chaplin @ 300k ............. Thats $1.9 mill (only $450k more than we were paying this year)

i would say top 4 in 2014, just making finals next year should be the main focus

McGuane - $400k
Moore - $350k
Graham - $300k
Miller - $200k

We get Cloke @ $800k
We get Goddard @ $800k

Miller is on the rookie list isnt on anywhere near 200k a year.

Moore wouldn't be close to that either. He would be need to be playing to get that much money a season.

Miller wouldnt of come to tigerland for $60k ................. No chance , with the games he played you can imagine he would have got a decent amount of coin.

Moore signed his contract before he was injured & probably our best backman, about the same time as McGuane and looking back to who is left from that era, I have no doubt he would be on $350k (possibly$250+games)

Miller wouldnt of come to tigerland for $60k ................. No chance , with the games he played you can imagine he would have got a decent amount of coin.

Moore signed his contract before he was injured & probably our best backman, about the same time as McGuane and looking back to who is left from that era, I have no doubt he would be on $350k (possibly$250+games)

He is on the rookie list, base salary is under 50k. Yeah he would get extra for milestones but it wouldn't push him anywhere near 200k. And of course he would have come because he had very little choice, no one else wanted him. He probably lives comfortably of Pia and will be a stay at home dad next season.

As for Moore, yeah he signed when he was our best backman but last two season he would have been at his base salary because he hasn't played which i'd think is about 250k.

Remember he didn't come to us, he was delisted, looking at retirement, and we approached him about being a rookie.

Anybody who believes that Miller was earning anything less than $150k is delusional , We did aproach him and wanted him to sit on our rookie list for us to use as we wanted !

these guys can earn $100k on their heads after football.

Players like Moore,McGuane,Jackson,Connors,Graham were are all on very very good coin. Keep in mind that we had to pay 92.5% of the cap and how many of the players have been there longer than 3-4 years when these contracts were signed or extended.

4 Years ago our backline was Thurfield,Moore,McGuane with Hawthorn sniffing around Moore before they got Gibson.
All these boys did very very well

He would be the perfect medium forward for us rotating through the middle with Lids.

Wont happen but it would be great if it did.
I think we'd need and want him off the HBF. skills better than anyone else there. allows ellis, newman and others to go forward/ midfield more. he can take a mark and has played in two grand finals so would be a bit of a general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'd need and want him off the HBF. skills better than anyone else there. allows ellis, newman and atohers to go forward/ midfield more. he can take a mark and has played in two grand finals so would be a bit of a general.

Probably right mate, just not what I would do.

I think we'd need and want him off the HBF. skills better than anyone else there. allows ellis, newman and atohers to go forward/ midfield more. he can take a mark and has played in two grand finals so would be a bit of a general.

You had me genuinely wondering who this "Atohers" bloke we were getting next year was until I realised it was just a typo. Thought he must be as state league player or some kid we were targetting in the draft. :oops:

Anybody who believes that Miller was earning anything less than $150k is delusional , We did aproach him and wanted him to sit on our rookie list for us to use as we wanted !

Players like Moore,McGuane,Jackson,Connors,Graham were are all on very very good coin. Keep in mind that we had to pay 92.5% of the cap and how many of the players have been there longer than 3-4 years when these contracts were signed or extended.

4 Years ago our backline was Thurfield,Moore,McGuane with Hawthorn sniffing around Moore before they got Gibson.

I'm not certain mate but I'm fairly sure that all rookie contracts are substantially less than contracts for guys on the senior list. I think that was part of the reason there was a push from the AFLPA to abolish the rookie spots (as the guys get a lot less money and do all the training that the senior players do).

I reckon there are also bonuses like match appearance fees and performance related incentives but I can't see Miller making more than $120-30k tops even if he played every game and kicked bags each week. (I think I remember reading when A Maric had some some speeding fine controversy not long ago that his annual salary was around 58-60k as a rookie)

Going back to the cap space, unfortunately I think you're right - I believe clubs have to pay a minimum of 92.5% of the cap each year - given the large number of deadwood on the list, would not surprise me if we gave some nice contracts to guys like McGuane, Graham, Jackson etc (who previously got regular games though were little more than average players at best) just to ensure we met the cap requirement payments - should clear those guys on big money out, and then offer the funds to our up and coming young players to tie them to the club and keep them content.

McGuane - $400k
Moore - $350k
Graham - $300k
Miller - $200k

We get Cloke @ $800k
We get Goddard @ $800k

LOL....that would be a nice dream....I like your accounting. :thumbsu:

Wouldnt be close to 150k

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-a-slim-rookie-pay-packet-20100511-uuvz.html

This is where people are getting their information all mixed up !

Sure i agree a rookie listed player is on slim pickings as the article states 'BUT' The club can pay more if they agree with the player , there is no rule that states you must pay that amount- Its a minimum

Players like Pods was drafted by geelong ,because they were looking for a chance at afl level and would play for minimum wage/salary.

I remember when Miller was aproached by the RFC that our coaches had to persuade him to nominate for the draft so we could pick him up & our offer was that we may or may not play him but for him to guide our young players and if we needed him to play seniors. Similar to a playing coach mentor type of role

Miller was not on minimum rookie wages guys, we went after and persuaded him to come.

the way the richmond football club have structured contracts, (front loading, back loading etc), and who they have signed on in terms of our stars, makes me think one thing.
we are going all out "miami heat" style. we havent got anyone out of contract (stars) this year.

going out to players, and saying "look bj, we have deledio, martin, cotchin, riewoldt, we want you and we want trav cloke, we think your worth big money, and we think we can win a flag pretty damn shortly with you and trav, we will be having the same conversation with him, and are confident, that signing both of you guys, ends in success".

i think the way to lure stars, is to lure others, if goddard sees cloke go to richmond, or vice verca, surely the other is going to think "fcuk, that makes for one hell of a team". im not saying it will happen, but i think it is set up to suit this situation, in conjunction with making sure our players understand, were bringing in these weapons to win a flag. we have seen more stars fit under a salary cap, than what were paying if we lure these two.

teams would shit their dacks at the thought of:
cloke
goddard
riewoldt
maric
martin
foley
tuck
cotchin
deledio
rance
grigg

fear factor alone gives you an edge. not to mention the other obvious benefits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's offered the big bucks for Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back