Who's your favourite tennis player and why??

Remove this Banner Ad

Stefan Edberg amazing player he actually got me into tennis when I was a kid. Silky player no-one comes close in my eyes but that's just me.

In the modern game I like to watch Gilles Simon and the fed express.

Nadal - Something about him that's just brilliantly epic and enchanting. The way he dismantles his opponents is obviously second to none, but being the first man to break the Federer dominance in 08/09 is when I started to follow him religiously. Probably my favourite player of all time. Will be a sad day when he calls it quits.
Hewitt & Tomic - Obvious reasons
Others include Tsonga, Ferrer, Baghdatis and Simon.

I guess Sharapova in the Women's... although put an * there with the shrieking. Stosur's never really won me over tbh.

All the babes as well of course.

Mens: Federer. Superstar. Seems like a nice enough guy as well.
Monfils, just because he is a nutter. Athletic as they come, love watching him play.

Womens: Laura Robson. 19, from the UK. Something about her fore mine.
Huntachova: Why wouldn't I? Reoww

Andre Agassi for me. The bloke is an absolute legend of the game. Humble, great court technique, punches above his weight, and a terrific ambassador for tennis. Gotta hand it to him; 60 career titles including 4 Aussie open wins, Wimbledon, US open and a gold medal at the olympics

Got a soft spot for Stepanek. The only one with the audacity to play a little bit differently with his serve and volley game, that has pretty much disappeared from tennis ever since Sampras and Rafter retired.

Millman and Barty would be my favourite Australian players, but I like most of them, although Tomic and Anastasia Rodionova are hard to find a liking for.

Out of the internationals, my favourite male players would probably be Baghdatis, Lu, Istomin, Simon and Isner.
Out of the women's, it's Robson, Wozniacki, Stephens, Ivanovic and Cibulkova.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been the best year in tennis ever!! Seeing Nadal winning nearly everything has been a highlight!! Hopefully there is a 2014 Australian Open title. He deserves to win this slam for a second time!!! I cant wait til I see him in January on those practice courts and seeing hes personality when hes having fun!!!! Vamos Rafa ;-)

Out of the big 4 I'm a Djokovic fan (except for Feathergate). Was a really fantastic year from him yet again, except for those 3 losses.

Unfortunately allowed Nadal to get into his head after those failed smashes at RG, and didn't recover until the Asian swing.

I honestly think it was a rather limp year. Djokovic-Nadal battle for No.1 was interesting. But Murray was a little disappointing, won the big one, but only really did well at a handful of tournaments. Federer and Ferrer started to show signs of decline. Del Potro remained inconsistent. Berdych did nothing. Tsonga was injured. The top 10 tenants in Wawa, Gasquet, Almagro, Tipsy are all headcases.

Raonic did show a little something late in the season. If he can avoid a few months of ordinary play, should be top 10 by August next year.

The young generation are so limp though. Tomic and Dimitrov both won their maiden 250 titles, but there were a lot of poor efforts in there as well. Tomic is so listless outside Australia/Wimbledon, and Dimitrov hasn't quite worked it out yet. The flipside was seeing some decent resurgent years from old favourites like Haas, Robredo & Youzhny. Even Hewitt had his best year since 09/10.

In all honesty, Fognini's hot month was the only thing to really shake things up a bit in 2013. Robredo making 2 GS QFs was hilarious though (including a demolition of old conquerer Federer).

The controversy around Troicki and Cilic (the last guy you would expect) also didn't help.

Andre Agassi for me. The bloke is an absolute legend of the game. Humble, great court technique, punches above his weight, and a terrific ambassador for tennis. Gotta hand it to him; 60 career titles including 4 Aussie open wins, Wimbledon, US open and a gold medal at the olympics

You do realise most of his games were matched fixed, and he took a fair amount of drugs. Not sure he's was the best "ambassador" for tennis.

Out of the big 4 I'm a Djokovic fan (except for Feathergate). Was a really fantastic year from him yet again, except for those 3 losses.

Unfortunately allowed Nadal to get into his head after those failed smashes at RG, and didn't recover until the Asian swing.

I honestly think it was a rather limp year. Djokovic-Nadal battle for No.1 was interesting. But Murray was a little disappointing, won the big one, but only really did well at a handful of tournaments. Federer and Ferrer started to show signs of decline. Del Potro remained inconsistent. Berdych did nothing. Tsonga was injured. The top 10 tenants in Wawa, Gasquet, Almagro, Tipsy are all headcases.

Raonic did show a little something late in the season. If he can avoid a few months of ordinary play, should be top 10 by August next year.

The young generation are so limp though. Tomic and Dimitrov both won their maiden 250 titles, but there were a lot of poor efforts in there as well. Tomic is so listless outside Australia/Wimbledon, and Dimitrov hasn't quite worked it out yet. The flipside was seeing some decent resurgent years from old favourites like Haas, Robredo & Youzhny. Even Hewitt had his best year since 09/10.

In all honesty, Fognini's hot month was the only thing to really shake things up a bit in 2013. Robredo making 2 GS QFs was hilarious though (including a demolition of old conquerer Federer).

The controversy around Troicki and Cilic (the last guy you would expect) also didn't help.

Stan the Man has gotta be a highlight!

No one is pushing the door down. Its pretty worrying. I think Raonic into the top 10 will be the only remarkable change next year. I hoping Janowicz does, cos I think he has the game for it. He's got better movement than Berdych and a couple of huge weapons. He wears his heart of his sleeve which isn't always a great thing in this game. Isner, maybe, but his return game is horrendous.

The fact that Berdych is at 5 in the world (I think its 5) without winning a single tournament all year says something.

Del Po in the top 4 next year? Maybe...The thing with him I jsut dont get is how many oppurtunities he misses out on from shortballs. He comes in, smacks a forehand then retreats back to the baseline to resume a neutral rally. Whats wrong with developing at least a bit of a net game to close these oppurtunities out? He'll never get anywhere until he does something about this, I think anyway.

What happened to Tipsy? Terrible year.

Posposil could be a proposition maybe?

Djokovic seems to be palying unbelievable tennis at the moment. Think he's on a 20 game winning streak at the moment. I think he has Nadal's number in most areas at the moment. Nadal has to do soemthing about his backhand and piss poor second serve if he wants to keep up with him outside the clay court season.

Stan 'yeah,sure' Wawrinka is an attractive player to watch, great shotmaking ability.

Yeah, I don't see anyone cracking the top 5-ish anytime soon. Raonic should get into the lower rungs of the 10 with some more consistent performances (I think he already cracked the 10 briefly at some stage?). Dimitrov is improving, still confident he'll crack the top 10 over the next 2-3 years.

I can see DelPo getting another slam or two at some point, especially once Nadal falls away. He is only 25 I think. I also think he could have a little more variety as well.

Tipsarevic just pulled out of the Davis Cup final apparently. I don't know, maybe he is just one of those players who peaks with 18-24 months in the top 10, then falls away. He isn't the only one.

Pospisol looks promising, but probably too raw for now. Would be amazing if Canada won Davis Cup in the near future. I get the feel he'll be a top 50 regular, but not do anything incredible.

The curious story for me in 2014 is Marin Cilic. Always had the potential to be one of the better players, will be interesting to see how he responds after the ban was removed. Just hasn't quite recaptured that form he had in 2009/early 2010.

At this stage, the current generation age scale looks like this. These players have only broken through since the mid 00s, and all have a few years left in them. Players not mentioned are either born prior, or mostly a non-factor.

Born 1985 - Tsonga/Berdych/Baghdatis/Wawrinka/Almagro/Isner

Born 1986 - Nadal/Gasquet/Monfils/K.Anderson/Istomin/Troicki

Born 1987 - Djokovic/Murray/Fognini/Querrey

Born 1988 - Del Potro/Cilic/Gulbis/Dolgopolov

Born 1989 - Paire/Nishikori

(the below have only been playing for a few years on tour)
Born 1990 - Raonic/Janowicz/Pospisol
Born 1991 - Dimitrov
Born 1992 - Tomic/Sock/Harrison
----------------------------------------

Del Potro is still the youngest GS winner. I turn 25 in December, and there are no GS winners younger than me :eek: Nishikori arguably represents the end of a particular generation, as he won his first title nearly 6 years ago now.

Once the 30+ guys all disappear over the next 2-3 years, most of these guys will occupy the higher rankings. Just the post-'88 generation hasn't really done anything yet. Will be interesting to see what tennis is like once the likes of Murray & Djokovic start to tail off in another 3-4 years. If the 90-92 generation fulfil their potential, it will be awesome with some different styles.

Yeah will be good to see a recycling of the top players I guess. Cos the gulf in class amongst all of the others underneath the Big 4 isn't that variable. But I just don't think we'll see a standard of tennis that we've seen recently with the likes of Fed, Nadal and Djoker.

The likes of Delpo around the number 1 spot is kind of offensive to all those in that position in past eras. They are miles behind in class.

Yeah will be good to see a recycling of the top players I guess. Cos the gulf in class amongst all of the others underneath the Big 4 isn't that variable. But I just don't think we'll see a standard of tennis that we've seen recently with the likes of Fed, Nadal and Djoker.

The likes of Delpo around the number 1 spot is kind of offensive to all those in that position in past eras. They are miles behind in class.

That's it been so lucky have such a high standard from these three in our lifetime will be hard to match!

David Ferrer is currently 9th for all-time career prize-money earnings among male players.

50ad56c750ba4.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's your favourite tennis player and why??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back