Why are Essendon playing for premiership points in 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

From 2010 ... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-flags-warns-afl/story-e6frf9jf-1225838886786

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson yesterday said: "We'd strip the Brownlow off someone who tested positive to performance-enhancing drugs, absolutely."

Anderson agreed a club could be stripped of a flag if the guilty player had taken part in the Grand Final.

"The commission, the executive and football operations of the AFL are absolutely determined to do what it takes to make sure our sport isn't compromised by the scourge of performance-enhancing drugs.

It appears that Anderson got out last year to minimize damage to his legal career.

The above statement he made is for public consumption ie rhetoric.

You only need to look at the way the AFL is behaving at the moment over the EFC scandal to see that. It's response to the demons NOT tanking.

It's all about money making now

Even the players who put on the show, are just cattle

Anyone want to entertain me with some potential scenarios?

Happy to hear from bombers or non-bombers.

Is this going to be sorted before the finals? Even though I don't think they'll lose points, the potebtial for them to do so will make any final with the bombers in it a farce unless they've already been cleared.

I'd be pretty sure what ever the outcome it wil be dealt with before the finals. Certainly no guarantee. But all indications are they it will at this point.

I'd be pretty sure what ever the outcome it wil be dealt with before the finals. Certainly no guarantee. But all indications are they it will at this point.

Cheers for the response. :thumbsu:

Have their been any recent or new indications on dates? Like many I don't really follow this any more so not sure if there have been any specific new announcements or rumours.

Cheers for the response. :thumbsu:

Have their been any recent or new indications on dates? Like many I don't really follow this any more so not sure if there have been any specific new announcements or rumours.

Andrew Demetrio seemed to indicate a few months away (back a few weeks ago now, so, July or August. I think looks most likely.

I have no issue with Essendon playing for premiership points at present but if one banned substance has entered one player that is proven to be related to the club supplements program then they should in no way be able to play finals under any circumstance.

I have no issue with Essendon playing for premiership points at present but if one banned substance has entered one player that is proven to be related to the club supplements program then they should in no way be able to play finals under any circumstance.
I have no idea how the AFL is going to handle it, to be honest. To a certain extent the damage is done, i.e. even if cleared, certain sections of the media and footy public will call it a whitewash. Innocent or guilty, the perception of the finals will be tainted for a lot of people if Essendon play. If they won, there would be a massive outcry, and even if they just play finals and win even one game, the losing team's supporters will be crying foul.

It would be in the AFL's best interest if Essendon didn't play finals, but they are too good this year, and won't miss out. They're even a good chance for top4 IMO. I'm very interested to see how it plays out. Gillion was saying they think it'll be done before finals, but who knows how ASADA work? If nothing is done before finals, does the AFL just take matters into it's own hands, or does it sit back and do nothing?

Some of the possible sitations are farcical. For example, say Essendon make top 4. Finals fixtures are set, then ASADA hands down infraction notices for a large number of Essendon players (not saying they are guilty... just a hypothetical). They can't field a team, so their first round finals opponent gets a bye. AFL lose millions in TV deal and gate. Then because they would then normally be sceduled to play the winning 5-8 team, there is another bye and missed game.

The financial and reputational loss would be massive.

Now i know this situation is very unlikely, but it's one the AFL must consider. It's going to be very interesting how it all plays out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a preliminary report may be going to the AFL this week. I have no doubt they have a pretty good idea what is going on anyway.
Did not know this. Is this info out there, or coming from sources inside/close to the club?

Interesting week coming up if so.

Did not know this. Is this info out there, or coming from sources inside/close to the club?

well, we'll see, just because the AFL may be getting a report doesn't mean we'll hear much about it. But like I said, the AFL no doubt have a pretty good handle on where things are at. I just want it over with, one way or the other. Like pretty much all Essendon fans I'm sure, and probably most footy fans in general, apart from the few who've lived and breathed this forum for the last 4 months of course.

Remember the AFL has been sitting in on all interviews, and the AFLPA on all player ones.

Given they would have been seeing the questioning being done, how it has evolved, and where the key focuses have been, I suspect both the AFL and AFLPA would be able to have a pretty decent guess what ASADA is looking at even if they were not being officially updated via briefings to Vlad/Gilligan.

Also ASADA I personally suspect (this is just my own guess - no inside info) will be wanting a nice agreement with the AFL in advance. They are looking at having a long war with the NRL that could last years, getting a nice quick conviction at AFL level will help a lot with regards to public perceptions of their effectiveness (especially with an election coming up - and you know some poli's will jump on this for profile).

well, we'll see, just because the AFL may be getting a report doesn't mean we'll hear much about it. But like I said, the AFL no doubt have a pretty good handle on where things are at. I just want it over with, one way or the other. Like pretty much all Essendon fans I'm sure, and probably most footy fans in general, apart from the few who've lived and breathed this forum for the last 4 months of course.
I think the "few" (e.g. Jenny and IanW/Pluggers Pig) need to mentally shore themselves up for an outcome they don't want; it could be extremely traumatic for them and difficult to recover from.

Compare that to most Essendon fans who are bracing for adverse findings but haven't totally ruled out a "no case to answer" result. These fans also take comfort from the way the Bombers have carried themselves throughout the investigation, and will continue to do so once a result is out.

Remember the AFL has been sitting in on all interviews, and the AFLPA on all player ones.

Given they would have been seeing the questioning being done, how it has evolved, and where the key focuses have been, I suspect both the AFL and AFLPA would be able to have a pretty decent guess what ASADA is looking at even if they were not being officially updated via briefings to Vlad/Gilligan.

Also ASADA I personally suspect (this is just my own guess - no inside info) will be wanting a nice agreement with the AFL in advance. They are looking at having a long war with the NRL that could last years, getting a nice quick conviction at AFL level will help a lot with regards to public perceptions of their effectiveness (especially with an election coming up - and you know some poli's will jump on this for profile).
So you want the AFL and ASADA to come up with a nice agreement, so long as it's a quick conviction. How convenient for your perception of what the outcome should be. Brace yourself to be disappointed is all I can advise.

So you want the AFL and ASADA to come up with a nice agreement, so long as it's a quick conviction. How convenient for your perception of what the outcome should be. Brace yourself to be disappointed is all I can advise.

Don't flame rfct74, he's been one of the better opposition posters on this issue.

I think the "few" (e.g. Jenny and IanW/Pluggers Pig) need to mentally shore themselves up for an outcome they don't want; it could be extremely traumatic for them and difficult to recover from.

Compare that to most Essendon fans who are bracing for adverse findings but haven't totally ruled out a "no case to answer" result. These fans also take comfort from the way the Bombers have carried themselves throughout the investigation, and will continue to do so once a result is out.

This is supposed to be a piss take, surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are Essendon playing for premiership points in 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back