Why are the knives out all of a sudden?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Jade you did not seriously do this did you? :eek::eek::p:D

My take is there appeared to be times at the game against Melbourne that players were not giving it 100%. Having watched the game twice since I'm more of the opinion that the players were very tired.

I have been wondering for a couple of weeks if we are in a period of heavy training load in preparation for the second half of the season. Saturday night has almost convinced me that we are.

Effort was there, but the players were clearly more fatigued than usual.

In addition to this:
- We do not handle wet conditions very well. We need to train with the sprinklers on as Kaiser Power has suggested in another thread. I was thinking the same thing.
- The commentators on Saturday night mentioned that they think Neeld has loosened the strings to allow the players to play naturally a bit more than earlier in the season. While I don't rate the commentators highly, I also thought this at the game. You could argue we let them do this however I would suggest that at least it was both.
- It's been suggested by many people who know Melbourne well that they have been playing poorly and looking like they don't try because the coaching staff there had been training them with pre-season style loads during the season. They have been doing this to try and speed up their fitness base for the next few years as they realise this year is awash. They looked to be running on top of the ground far more than they have all year. With the constant pressure from the media and public I would not be surprised if they have eased up on this the past couple of weeks.

I was far from happy about Saturday night, however there are no knives from me. Talks of flogging the group at training without knowing the background of current training loads, what has been happening with the opposition etc is just old school rhetoric.

If the players were not trying we would not have won the contested ball, had more inside 50s and time in forward half.

I trust Hird/Bomber know what they are doing and will respond in the appropriate manner.
No but I asked him if he's prepared his Brownlow speech. :D
Um, yeah I think he did.

LOL well I'm going to blame you for any ensuing form slump for allowing him to get ahead of himself!* :p

* I know what you did should have no influence on his form.

LOL well I'm going to blame you for any ensuing form slump for allowing him to get ahead of himself!* :p

Meh, might as well - I fully intend to claim all the credit when Gumby tears it up. :D

Damn I'd love nothing more than to see Gumby tear it up. I want him to play VFL a little while longer though so his confidence in his body is so high by the time he gets picked for the seniors.

Having watched the game twice since I'm more of the opinion that the players were very tired.

twice since!!! what a trooper! i had to turn it off with 8 seconds left the first time around... couldnt bare to see their celebrations. Actually i reckon Garlands celebration should be played on repeat to the players.. just to sting a bit.

We need to stop making excusses for losing that game we had our chances.
Basically good teams win the games they suppose to win! Pears, Melksham and Colyer turned the ball over time and time again by foot and by hand, not up to it yet for mine.

I agree with the OP. I've stayed away from our board for this exact reason. Jumped on after our loss and couldn't believe the stuff I was reading. Actually I could but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

If you jinx Stants' Brownlow chances jade, I'm coming for you.

To be fair to him, he immediately deflected the question to a comment about winning being all that's important.

Ha ha - yeah he was straight into the toe the line team based comments.

To be honest I would have been floored if he responded with "Yeah man, been working on it this week - I'm gonna shit this in" :eek:

twice since!!! what a trooper! i had to turn it off with 8 seconds left the first time around... couldnt bare to see their celebrations. Actually i reckon Garlands celebration should be played on repeat to the players.. just to sting a bit.

Yeah I didn't even watch the last 30 seconds :eek:

As ordinary as we were Melbourne were significantly better than they have been for most the season so far.

As much as I was bitterly disappointed I enjoyed seeing Neeld and the Melbourne players and supporters joy at the win after being hit from pillar to post all year.

However some of the Melbourne supporters on BF have given me the shits since, but still happy for a lot of the non-****heads.

Admittedly watching it twice since was more to try and better learn what exactly seemed to go wrong. I can't say it was that enjoyable.

As much as I was bitterly disappointed I enjoyed seeing Neeld and the Melbourne players and supporters joy at the win after being hit from pillar to post all year.

bunk-the-wire.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take a different view - Assuming that we win 18 games - I want the four losses to be teams outside the eight - I like to beat our fellow competitors in the eight.

Sorry to quote a post 4 pages back. But,
That's what we have been doing the past 3 years. Winning a match we weren't supposed to win, and losing against one we should have won. I have been writing it off in my mind as an inconsistent team with potential.

There is a certain stage in a teams development where they will be up and down. I thought that we were getting past that so far this year. That's what was disappointing about the match for me.

Other than the fact that we clearly just wanted to lose of course.

As ordinary as we were Melbourne were significantly better than they have been for most the season so far.

I've avoided saying this anywhere else, as it comes across as sour grapes - but Melbourne were as bad as they have been all year; they won kicking 58pts for crying out loud.

They were as scrappy, uncoordinated and poor as always. Had we kicked even 11.11.77; we'd be talking about how we won another scrappy game and how 'lucky' we were to be playing Melbourne.

The problem is, we found a way to play what has got to be the worst performance of any team all year - and that is why I think just moving on is completely unacceptable. An AFL team should NOT be forgiven for performing as they did.

Our forward line was absolutely disgusting. I can't recall a worse performance by a team unit than what we got on Saturday from them.

Whether physical (which most people disagree with me on) or other method, their needs to be absolute hell to pay. Players need to be dropped, ridden and have their noses shoved right into the stinking pile of excrement they produced.

Funny, that's exactly what I think about people who can't look beyond their own disappointment in a good year so far to appreciate others being happy.

What happened is what happened, as a supporter I cannot change what the team does.

Should I go and abuse a few people and feel like shit because my team lost? Should I begrudge or ignore and not be able to appreciate other people's joy at a situation that cannot be changed? :rolleyes:

I've avoided saying this anywhere else, as it comes across as sour grapes - but Melbourne were as bad as they have been all year; they won kicking 58pts for crying out loud.

They were as scrappy, uncoordinated and poor as always. Had we kicked even 11.11.77; we'd be talking about how we won another scrappy game and how 'lucky' we were to be playing Melbourne.

Hard to argue. Kinda hilarious that it's seen as some sort of vindication for Melbourne in any way shape or form.

Certainly it was the poorest effort from our forwardline since the North game last year. It saps energy from the rest of the team to see hard work lazily wasted. I was frankly surprised, amongst the hysteria, not to see a roast thread for the forwards in general.

Flogging them on the track is arguably too reactive though. Back them in to do much better in the vacuum of Docklands, where we'll be spending a lot more time through to the end of the season.

Should I go and abuse a few people and feel like shit because my team lost? Should I begrudge or ignore and not be able to appreciate other people's joy at a situation that cannot be changed?

Yep, pretty much.

Give 'em nothing.

The problem is, we found a way to play what has got to be the worst performance of any team all year - and that is why I think just moving on is completely unacceptable. An AFL team should NOT be forgiven for performing as they did.

Our forward line was absolutely disgusting. I can't recall a worse performance by a team unit than what we got on Saturday from them.

Whether physical (which most people disagree with me on) or other method, their needs to be absolute hell to pay. Players need to be dropped, ridden and have their noses shoved right into the stinking pile of excrement they produced.

They were not as poor as they have been all season. I have watched all their games and there were significant changes in many areas.

There is no doubt we were far from our best, however their effort, endeavour and decision making in the wet was far above what they have been until round 9 and a step above what they were in round 9.

To not acknowledge that is simply arrogant or ignorant.

They were not as poor as they have been all season. I have watched all their games and there were significant changes in many areas.

There is no doubt we were far from our best, however their effort, endeavour and decision making in the wet was far above what they have been until round 9 and a step above what they were in round 9.

To not acknowledge that is simply arrogant or ignorant.

Does that matter?
Yes Melbourne played a bit better than what they have been. But 14 other teams would have still beaten them.

I think it matters if you want to review things to do so evenly.

If you want to just rant and rave well go ahead.

If you think I don't care you would be wrong, however simply ripping our team and players to shreds after they have improved a lot already won't achieve anything.

Have a bit of faith that the people in charge who have improved us to this point have it covered.

Melbourne were pathetic as always on Saturday.

They were less pathetic than us, but pathetic is pathetic.

No vindication for them at all, they just played against a side somehow managing to play worse than them.

How much have you watched Melbourne?

That statement is flat out incorrect. Sure they were far from world beaters however they were not as bad as they were earlier in the year.

I guess it all depends on what you could call a "good year", which is philosophical.

Personally, there have been two of what I would classify "good years" of football in my lifetime. Forgive me if my sympathy for other clubs, even those less successful in that period, is absolutely nil.

That statement is flat out incorrect. Sure they were far from world beaters however they were not as bad as they were earlier in the year.

They put out one of the most dismal performances of the year two weeks ago. And they were shithouse for three quarters the week before that.

You're quite welcome to feel that way. You need to understand however that just because I can appreciate and enjoy happiness of others in a disappointing situation that I cannot change, that I do not set standards I expect from my team any lower than you.

At 8-2 it has been a good year so far.

It can be undone very quickly though. I personally am far from happy with the performance by Essendon on the weekend. However I am also aware that there are a lot of factors I may not be aware of and some that people don't discuss.

I expect Hird/Bomber will handle it.

I've seen them against Richmond, St Kilda, half against Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon.

I'd rate Carlton as their best game (at least the first three quarters were above anything they produced on Saturday).

I think they'll be OK long term, and I think Neeld's philosophy is spot on (teaching them to win the ball first), but they were still very ordinary on Saturday night.

Even the Dees supporter I went with, who was absolutely elated, was laughing at how bad they were with their turnovers; as he said, he was just glad we kicked 6.16 or whatever it was.

Again, they won because they deserved it more than us, not arguing that.

But they were still rubbish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are the knives out all of a sudden?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back