Opinion Why are you a North Melbourne fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Confession time:- from birth I was brainwashed to follow Collingwood (old man was saving all of his beer bottles for me to play in the little league back then) then from about the age of 8, I lived near princess park and went to see my 1st game ever !!, a Carlton game and was then a navy blues fan. I moved away from the city (north of Echuca) and when I returned (aged 12 ) I lived in one of those horrid flats in Kensington ( 4 storey ones) but was able to go every second week to Arden street, this is where the love affair started and still holds true til Im 6ft under. My memories include:- I was able jog with Slug Jordan and Barrassi from Arden st to Kensington's football ovals, had the chance to meet Malcom Blight at training the day after he won the Brownlow. Keith Greig asked me to pass a football to him one day at training but it was too hard for me to handball so I threw it only to have the champ scold me and offered a chance to redeem myself ( I still remember the pain but manage to disguise it) Even cut short a preseason training session of my own undertaking by giving the players too much water in 36 degree heat.:eek:
As I got older I admired the qualities and values that Nth stood for and the intangible spirit the club has, it was very easily done, to support!!
So, you're still trying so hard, all these years later, to make up for things with your avatar selection?

For me, our game at Princes Park, 5th June, 1976. "...it's a big kick, it's a mammoth kick..."

It is interesting how serious being NMFC could be*

My mum tells stories of people not being able to speak to my great grand father while the footy was on the radio (they had retired and moved to the country at this stage). People would be banished from the house for talking.

* still is
I like your great grand fathers style.

Hate to say it...I grew up in the country crazy for the blood stains. Not being a footy family can't remember how I landed on them pricks.

When I moved to the city decided I was too cool for football or sports in general. Totally removed myself from football for about 5 years and when I started watching footy again my boss & my in laws were all north supporters. I didn't know any of the bombers players or north at that stage, but purely by environment I ended up knowing more about and caring more about North. Also at the same time essendon decided to get sloppy with the Sheedy thing, and north were struggling to beat the afl. It kinda all fell into place in that way. Was a really awkward decision to change teams, but it wasn't a snap decision it just kinda happened...

Mum's cousin played for North through the mid 70's, and my cousin played a few games in Norths under 19 team in the 80's.

Fair to say there was never going to be any doubt who I was going to follow.

One day when I was about 6 years old, I suddenly realised I was surrounded by Scum supporters.

Rather than being seduced by the Dark side, I did the only honorable thing possible and started supporting North Melbourne.

I was a country kid from Southern NSW playing rugby league in primary school, my family weren't into footy and I knew very little about it. The first game of Aussie Rules I saw on TV during the mid 70s was North vs Collingwood and I liked the Royal Blue and White colours so I went for them and have done ever since and will do so for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you literally come here on a boat, or is it just an expression?
Expression.

Although on Yugoslav Airlines all that was missing was the chickens in crates.

Parents are Greek and had no idea about footy. Dad loved his soccer so he bought me a Greece soccer shirt which was Blue and white stripes. I'd wear that to school and I got stirred for following North the only problem was I didn't know what or who North were... By Grade 1 (1977) I I knew what Footy was and after being teased and picked on for wearing my Blue and White stripes I started being a Shinboner...What a year to begin hey? :) I've been a member since 84 and so has my brother and mum. My 2 kids are as passionate about our Kangas as I am and I regard our time at the footy together as some of the most precious. My father passed away in 95' and even though he didn't follow footy that close I remember some of his last words to me were "Go Kangaroos" and " Bit bloody Hawdon" in his broken English... So for me North is so much more than a footy club... It's part of Me!!! Love em :)

Bred into a North Family.
North Nan, North Dad, North Mum, North Brother and 2 North sisters.
Luckily enough, both of my sister's boyfriends are also North blokes. ;)

My Grandmother ( now 92) was the oldest of 8 children, in her late teens she was told to entertain the youngest on weekends. The youngests choice was football and they chose North. This weely get together continued all through their adult lives.

At 7 i was the only child of a single mother who had to work weekends so my grandmother looked after me. For years it was go play school footy Sat morning run home change and head to the footy. 18-20 games a year. I learnt all about footy on the wing at Arden street, even learnt to swear there. Miss miss cockies piss is still a fav.

Joined the cheer squad at 13/14 and used to take the a bus from school to springvale, train to city, train to North Melbourne to make the run through every week. One of my best memories is the first time i got to go out on the ground and hold it up for the boys, massive buzz. Hell i even lost my virginity to the secretary of the NMFC cheer squad at 15 :)

Being at the 96 grand final was definately a highlight, sang the song till i was horse and went to work that night with no voice but oh so proud.

Absolutely bleed blue and white although living in the country now rarely get to go to games. Footy time is still sacred, everyone knows if its on FTA do not bug or call or expect a response to conversation from me. If its not on FTA its the eternal battle of avoiding news, internet or other people till the games available on the net. Just not the same watching a game if you know the score.

Just love North, its part of who i am.

Bred into a North Family.
North Nan, North Dad, North Mum, North Brother and 2 North sisters.
Luckily enough, both of my sister's boyfriends are also North blokes. ;)

I had a feeling you were alright.

I'm scanning these profiles in order to analyse selections for invitations to The Crutchy Push.

Expression.

Although on Yugoslav Airlines all that was missing was the chickens crates.
You should have flown on Aeroflot (Russian Airlines). When you fly with them, you have 50% chance of arriving on the boat.

My family started in North Melbourne possibly when it was called Hotham (think it was called that at some stage). I am a fourth generation Rooboy, everyone in my family is North. Am happy to say my kids are fifth generation. The rule is it's North or Nothing.
Go the Mighty Roos

Raised up in a Greek family and didnt have a clue what football was, as soccer was the sport in the house. Saw North and just assumed it was Greece and would sit in front of the TV, as a 2 year old yelling "HELLAS" (Greece).
When I got old enough to realise it wasn't soccer or Greece, I was already in love with the team!

I've read alot of reference to the Great Malcom Blight here well he's the reason I follow & love this Great club of ours. It was 1977 & the family gathered to watch the first ever live telecast of the VFL Grand Final in Perth my two cousins & my two bro's, Grandma, Mum & Aunty glued to the tellie while my Dad (Carlton at the time) & Uncle (1 eyed scum fan) were at a pub watching it somewhere, it was about half way thru the third quarter when Grandma (Blight) said that guy #15 is your mothers cousin. My jaw hit the ground the rest is a blissful blue & white love affair which didn't go down well with my Dad's side of the family as they where die hard South Freo supporters this meant blue & white were the colours of our arch enemies East Freo, anyway blood is thicker than water you could say. To this day my two cousins & I are still passionate North members while my bro's & parents suffer as Freo fans, though my mum has a soft spot for the Kanga's. My three kids born in the late ninties find it hard to stay true but I know in my heart come 2014 & our 5th premiership we will all rejoice as a family of Roo's, I must of muddled their minds during there development cause during the 90's i'd watch every game with a bottle of tequila having a shot for every goal (we must of averaged 17+ per game)this meant i was rarely concious come final siren regularly waking up in the bathtub messed up, let that be a lesson to you expecting parents out there. Oh happy days.

So, you're still trying so hard, all these years later, to make up for things with your avatar selection?
Mate, I got sent that pic from Oz from a mate of mine I met here in Oslo. I think it's only fitting that i don't waste such lovely photo, as appreciation for him sending it to me. ;) as you would understand it has great sentimental value to me.

I've got a similar story to a few of the other Greek Rooboys.

Dad started going to watch North in the early 60s cause we had the same colours as the Greek flag. I had a jumper, scarf and beanie bought for me early. First live match was the 1987 Elimination Final as a 9yo but thankfully I recovered from that trauma to start going to matches on my own and with mates from 93 onwards.

Couldn't be happier to support a smaller club!

Used to follow Carlton yeah yeah shut up i know..... so anyway as i was saying used to follow Carlton and wanted to buy a ball to kick around..... went to the store and they were all sold out of Carlton balls........ so i got the Kangaroos ball since the colours were the closest....yeah shut up i was young.... so my friends were coming over and asking if i followed north after seeing the ball.... i said no and that i had found the ball.... so i started paying more attention to the Roos.... saw Wayne Carey tear teams apart and that was it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Why are you a North Melbourne fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back