Why Family Guy is better than The Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

American Dad is far better than Family Guy anyway, so the point is moo (as Joey would say in Friends).

Family Guy is exhausting and far too patchy.

As people are saying, vintage Simpsons is funnier.

bass_drum said:
American Dad is far better than Family Guy anyway, so the point is moo (as Joey would say in Friends).

Family Guy is exhausting and far too patchy.

As people are saying, vintage Simpsons is funnier.
Laughable.

American Dad is trash compared to these 2 great shows.

So far in this thread people have declared South Park, Futurama and American Dad better than both Family Guy and the Simpsons. Do you people actually watch these shows?!

I just started watching Family guy. heres my uneducated take:

- its humour is more crude than simpsons (obviously hence the timeslot)
- its akin to "Arrested Development" in that the humour is quick and sharp. (hard to explain)

- peter is a crack up.
- stewie rocks too
- other than that the others dont do much for me. i guess i have to watch it more to get the gist of them

futurama has a few funny bits here and there but the plots are never interesting enough to make up for the lack of humour.

the american dad humour is so similar to family guy and I just don't find it that funny.

south park, hilarious and actually quite clever in stages. Don't watch it much but I prefer it to FG

year of the roo said:
Laughable.

American Dad is trash compared to these 2 great shows.

So far in this thread people have declared South Park, Futurama and American Dad better than both Family Guy and the Simpsons. Do you people actually watch these shows?!
Do you? I personally think that South Park is by far the best TV show currently being produced.

year of the roo said:

Futurama is better than everyone of those shows except for The Simpsons at it's peak. Honestly, while I do find Family Guy hilarious, it just does not come close to either Futurama or The Simpsons. Those shows have layers and you can actually care about the characters. Granted Family Guy isn't trying to do this, but I sometimes think it's too smug for it's own good. It's a great show but I don't think it holds up to repeated viewing and it will never be as timeless as The Simpsons.

Stewie and Brian make Family Guy for me, brilliant characters.

I totally agree that the recent episodes of the Simpsons are nowhere near as consistently good as the earlier seasons, but they still do have some good episodes - but too infrequently.

However, the two things that The Simpsons will have over any other show that has been mentioned in this thread is the amount of words and play on words and phrases that have been spawned. You know, the most obvious ones are D'oh and ahoy hoy and Professor Frinks exclamations like hoyvin and glavin. But then there is stuff like Fat Tonys' "I don't get mad, I get stabby". Ralphs' "Me fail English? That's unpossible". Abe Simpsons "Dickety two" speech. Homers' "I am so smart. I am so smart. S-M-R-T..." Made up words like craptacular, kwyjibo, cromulent, crisitunity, ovulicious, skittlebrau and even meh all are memorable and are quite frequently being churned out by the writers.

The other is the simple fact that you can watch each episode two or three times and pick up on things that you may have missed the first time - such as background images.

I could write a whole essay on things that sets The Simpsons apart from everything else, but it is late and these two things are poignant enough to remind who is the king of all animation shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special Agent said:
It's a great show but I don't think it holds up to repeated viewing

Maybe not to you, but whenever I flick onto Comedy Channel and it's on I'll watch it :)

Monkster said:
Maybe not to you, but whenever I flick onto Comedy Channel and it's on I'll watch it :)

Yeah, so do I. ;)

Although, my opinion of it's rewatchability may not be the most valid. There are certain episodes that for some reason I keep seeing all the time, I probably haven't seen about half the episodes but I always see repeats of the same ones. I don't hate the show or anything, I just prefer the Simpsons.

ren and stimpy at its peak when the original creator was in charge and writing the shows was far more out there and full of non-sequiters and strange characters than Family Guy would ever hope for

Don't get me wrong I love Family Guy and The Simpson and South Park but for pure use of odd flashbacks or cut-aways you can't beat Ren and Stimpy circa the years the creator had control.

The Simpsons > Seinfeld > Arrested Development > Family Guy > Futurama > American Dad > Scrubs >>>>>> South Park.

The first seven are very close.

I have always hated South Park.

I despise Family Guy. It's low brow, Simpsons twisted humour. I've tried to watch Family Guy, but it just reeks Simpson's wannabe. The storylines are the same, except the humour is more out there for FG, to try and be different. Sure, The Simpsons isn't what it use to be, but neither was Seinfeld or Friends, when they were ending. Watching the 17th (Current) season of The Simpsons, I've been laughing my ass off at most parts. My friend d'loads the episodes of the net, and there is one particular episode title "The Italian Bob" (Which should be screening next tuesday) which is arguably one of the funniest Simpsons episodes ever.

Last night's Simpson's was utterly atrocious. Worst I have ever seen.

Impossible to watch an episode of Family Guy more than 4 times and still cack yourself. Its nowhere near as sophisticated as The Simpsons.

Does that make it in an inferior program? I say yes, but it depends entirely what kind of person you are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Family Guy is better than The Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back