Why I don't hate Bock

Remove this Banner Ad

Butts_JZZ30

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is a lot of hatred being directed towards Bock but lets think about this without some of the bias.

We have a guy who has given our club numerous years of good service. He has always played hard and fair and been someone we have been able to rely upon to give a good performance when fit. He is 27 approaching 28 and his body clearly isn't what it used to be. He might have 2-3 years of football left in him.

Now, Nathan Bock doesn't seem to be the brightest bloke getting around. Harsh perhaps, but I'm not sure how well he has prepared himself for life without a substantial football contract to support him.

Put yourself in his situation, he has just been offered probably double want the Crows are prepared to offer him. $600,000 a year is a huge amount that will offer him some solid financial security.

I think he will always consider the crows his 'number 1' side. The side that he flourished in and developed his career. If you ask me he has made a fairly sensible move.

After thinking about it, i don’t have a problem with it. Sure it’s annoying to lose a player for nothing but what comes around goes around. We pinched Tony McGuiness from the bulldogs for nothing. It’s all part of being in the national comp, plus we are not the little kids anymore.

If people honestly believe he is the only person who lies or tells mistruths in press conferences to avoid a direct question, needs to thing again. Everyone does it.

Good luck Nathan.

I love Bock, one of my favourites, its sad to see him go, but as we have shown over the last couple of years he is not critical to us winning games. There is no doubt he is a super player, and for that we should be compensated at the very least 10-15 draft pick. 26 is a farce, nothing is a major **** up by the AFL.

Ricky, why'd you stop boundary riding for channel 7?

;)

I've said before, I don't mind him going, but I don't like him giving the indication he's staying.

As I've posted elsewhere, Bock really can't afford to knock back the extra dollars, which over the 3 years of the contract will be very substantial.

Like after footy could be a struggle for Bock long term, as he has no hope of being in the media once he's finished playing, and as a coach he's likely to be limited to the Boolamakanka 3rds at best.

The one thing I do resent highly is the misleading bullshit he has been uttering in recent times, virtually indicating that he would be staying.

I would have much preferred him to stick to the old "I'm leaving it to the end of the season line" or alternatively say nothing at all.

However, forgetting that, Bock is doing what he has to, given his limitations as an income earner in life after football.

Of course I'm not happy with his decison but I understand why he did it and accept the choices he has made. It's how he lied to the media that dissapoints me though. I suppose it could have been a smart tatic to cool the speculation in the media but it gave alot of our supporters confidence that he would stay when he clearly knew himself that he was going to leave.

I don't hate him. I don't hate anyone. But I've lost a lot of respect for him. Adelaide persisted with him during his tough days as a rookie and probably most importantly the club stood by him after assaulting his girlfriend, which led to outsiders questioning the culture at the club. The AFC could have easily sacked him on the spot but chose to again persist with him, and this is how he repays us. Not to mention the crap I've heard about how he couldn't resist the 600k offer, shit 450k goes alright for a 27 year old who hasn't even shown he's worth that much alone going on this season. And of course the lies, he has been lying continually for god knows how many months, all while he writes a column in the Tiser giving every indication that he was very happy in Adelaide and at the AFC.

All the best to him, I guess. But I certainly wont be holding back when we come up against the GC next year.

He has opened plenty of doors for himself by doing this, I doubt many of you would be so loyal at your current occupation to knock back a huge payrise, turn down the offer of living on the gold coast, potential promotion within a leadership perspective and having younger people with more potential than yourself knocking on your heels.

None of you know the inside working of the AFC and know exactly how this went down, the support hes receieved in adelaide may of been the factor holding him back from making the decision earlier.

I wish him all the best and feel sorry for some of you who are so quick to point the finger about loyalty, but turn on him as soon as he receives his window of opportunity. Assuming we do get rewarded with a draft pick, the value is not the responsibility of Bock so dont try and lay extra guilt on him for that.

This gives Phil Davis/Daniel Talia/Sam Shaw/Andy Otten an excellent opportunity for our club, im not sure we'd have the same kind of replacements at hand if Thompson or Knights went instead. Most of all please dont forget how valuable Bocky has been in our backline for an extended period of time after many of us thought he would never cut it as an AFL player.

We're every right to be disappointed, but put things in perspective before playing the blame game. Im often disgusted to have Adelaide under my name on this board seeing the way my fellow supporters behave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just need Tippet to have his goal kicking sorted by the time we play GC, so he can kick a bag on Bocky. :D

Yeah i mean if Bock stayed at the Crows, he may only get $450K per year.. Someone on $45K per year would only need 10 years to earn that, if you put it over his 3 years contract on offer, it would only take someone 30 years to earn that..

As people have said, it's a good thing for him, he's looking after himself etc.. Individual player.. So be it, but you can't deny it..

I don't hate, but he's lost my respect.. For running for the $ and for the lies to us over a while now..

At least my $300 odd i pay every year will go to someone else's salary now since he doesn't want it ;)

I hope none of the people who over the past couple of years have been unceremoniously calling for old players like Burton & Hentschel and Tyson and all the rest to be given the boot, or arguing against their being granted farewell games, aren't the same people getting stuck into Bock for leaving for a bigger paycheck.

The Karma Bus said:
As people have said, it's a good thing for him, he's looking after himself etc.. Individual player.. So be it, but you can't deny it..

I don't hate, but he's lost my respect.. For running for the $ and for the lies to us over a while now..

How can you compare a regular salary to a footballers? They are elite sportsmen, if you got KO'd at regular work you would be on compo and off work for 6 months, not expected to return to your desk 30 mins later.

Im pretty sure we had to throw alot of money at Tippett to stay here, but that doesnt make him an "individual player"?? These guys have got until they are 30-32 to set themselves up for the rest of their lives. Defenders at the AFC havnt exactly been gifted extra years over recent times either; I didnt see Ben Hart or Jason Torney rewarded with any loyalty from the AFC.

And when exactly did Bock know he was leaving? You obviously know, so please fill us in....?

Im often disgusted to have Adelaide under my name on this board seeing the way my fellow supporters behave.

Don't give me that crap. One of our best players lied to the fans and the club for months and has walked out on the club after years of standing by him. Supporters from other clubs would react the same way as some people have so don't pull out the 'I'm disgusted to be an AFC fan' line because it's not all smiles and candy flakes.

Well done on being able to argue the most opinionated statement in my arguement.

Same question to you, when exactly did Bock know he was going then??

You'd rather see him leave halfway through the season? Is that when it was? Or was it last year?

Supporters who once cheered him now telling him to **** off is embarassing and shows how little people actually understand football.

I don't hate him. I'll be standing on the boundary line for the first Suns game and boy will I give it to him, but that doesn't change the fact he probably made the decision he had to make for himself and he did the right thing by the club by letting them know once that decision was finalised.

But boy, I'm looking forward to giving him heaps. The supporter in me will always see him as a traitor.

If this is the only case of Adelaide losing a player then this is an ideal situation for both Bock and the Crows.
Bock was a very good CHB but he looks to be past his best so it will be interesting to see if he can stay injury free and produce his AA form for Gold Coast.
it will also be interesting to see who we can pick up with the draft pick.

I have to say that I admire Tippet all the more for staying after seeing some of the numbers thrown around but I wonder if after this season if he had it all to do again would he make the same choice?
I hope he doesn't regret his decision to stay as this season was shit and he probably expected better from himself and the team.
I must admit in the last few weeks watching him kick for goal has been like watching my mother in law shave her legs :eek: but after this episode I have found a new appreciation for the big fella.
He is the type that I want playing for the Crows for many years.
He made the choice to stay rather than chase the big bucks in his hometown. That is commendable not just because it was the Crows but he chose to stay with his mates.

On the other hand Bock made a choice that suited him and I don't think he can be condemned for that although young Phil Davis may disagree.

Well done on being able to argue the most opinionated statement in my arguement.

Same question to you, when exactly did Bock know he was going then??

C'mon. You reckon he got a call yesterday? :rolleyes:

You'd rather see him leave halfway through the season? Is that when it was? Or was it last year?

I'd rather see him be honest.

Supporters who once cheered him now telling him to **** off is embarassing and shows how little people actually understand football.

How does that mean we don't understand football? The guy has been given an incredible amount of support, so this is a complete slap in the face for the club. Yeah good on him for getting a pay rise he hardly deserves, and it is the right choice for him financially obviously, but that doesn't mean it's not a slap in the face considering everything the AFC has done for him.

About not understanding football, loyalty is dead in football. From both players and clubs. Using loyalty as an excuse to hate him is pathetic.

I thought Neil Craigs sentiments on the new AFL "culture" was excellent and spot on. This is the way the AFL has become. Only for a select few is "one club player" still a respectable title, and even then it has its own provisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why I don't hate Bock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back