Why I stayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok its my 5000th post and after almost 3 years on this site and countless hours wasted I havent really said why I put up with the dockers all this time.

So here goes....

It all began when I think I was in year 6 (11 years old), Dad got family season pass for the first season and so the lifetime membership began.
First year for about half the season I think I was more interested in the crowd than the actual game as I never had any interest in football before. Eventually I started to really get behind the flashy yet inconsistent players back then, the Chisholms and Abrahams.
But at school I was the only freo supporter of 50 students and naturally after derbthe first y drubbing the abuse was constant and un ending. So throughout my Primary school days these Eagle supporters let me have it every chance they got, and so my despising of eagle supporters was born.....and my loyalty to the dockers cemented.
This also continued throughout high school where the "I support the dockers" line was followed by arkward silences (Like someone had died) or laughter.
The abuse wasnt as intense but as the likes of Pavlich,Haselby and Longmuir where joining the club, my excitement for our future and probally my optimism was born.
Week in week out of half assed performances and players failing to produce was painful, the only way I got through it was the thought that ITS GOING TO GET BETTER.
And I was right...Its getting better..

So thats pretty much my freo supporting story thus far, I still have my first season pass, I still have the badge, I have a signed McManus jumper while he was captain that I won. Plus I have all badges that came with the membership since.
I also hope to go to the first grand final regardless of the cost.

Anyway thats my story...Whats everyone elses?

My Fremantle story started way back on the 17th of March 1983, I was born in East Fremantle.

Jump to 1994 being an avid Claremont Supporter and part time eagles supporter I was stoked that a new team was going to enter the AFL from the WA. Being Fremantle based and having a young feeling about the team I already felt a loyalty to the team. When the naming of the Dockers occurred I was convinced that we would be called the "Fremantle Vikings" and have an awesome Viking battle helmet as our logo. This ofcource was based upon Fremantle's vast Scandinavian heritage........ and probably the fact that I had watched "Eric the Viking" just hours before.

While I was shattered the Vikings would never be in the AFL, I found myself warming to the Dockers. The two jumpers, which were originally shown, were great; I really liked the predominantly green (away??) jumper and still want to get my hands on one of those to this day. When I first heard the new club song on Channel nine, I was again very disappointed that they didn't go with a Viking sea shanty, but I guess the Freo-Heave-ho paved the way for the anchor ceremony. It is also probably the easiest song to sing when you’re ****ed.

I went to the Dockers Preseason games against Essendon and St Kilda and even bought the Theme song on CD. I even got a mini footy signed by Craig Burrows, Ben Allen and Scotty Watters. The Dockers running style of play, plus the fact that half the Claremont team from the previous year were now playing in the AFL had me hooked. Though I didn't become a member till 1996 I went and stood in the outer for every game that season.

When I moved to high school I had 2 mates who were Dockers supporters and the rest were pretty much Eagles fans. Needless to say that when I was going for grabs and calling out Abraham or Burrows I'd get laughed at..... until I stuck the knee firmly into their back and took the grab. So it was pretty hard supporting the Dockers though high school, but after the rare wins everyone would know about it.

When the 2001 season came around I decided to buy a new freo jumper at a preseason game, what a dark year that was. I think my best memory of that year apart from the 2 wins was being in hospital. I had just got out of an operation and was on morphine self-administering drip, while watching the Dockers play the Bulldogs. We were getting belting and though I wasn't in physical pain, I found myself having more and more morphine. When I had reached the maximum douse, I think I saw freo play their best football for the year, every player was playing like they should have won brownlow, yet we still ended up losing the game by about 10 goals.

Since then I think I have taken the same attitude towards our current team and sooner or later they will come good. Two things the last 9 years has taught me is loyalty and enjoying success while you can. With the failure we have had, any success just feels that much better. So if we do end up making the finals this year I will be there, no matter where it is.

Well...Here's my story.
My family (both parents) are full on South Freo supporters so it wasn't really much of a choice for me. But really, it's a blood thing, as my Great Grandfather (Griff John) founded South Fremantle Football Club in 1900 and I believe played for Fremantle in the 1890s. Very topical for this being the heritage week.
I must admit, I did follow the Toasters before Freo came along in late 94. Mainly because of the large amount of Fremantle players in the team. But as soon as I heard that there was going to be an AFL team from Freo, I knew where my allegiance was. My dad got his membership in 95 and took me along to all the games. The rest of the journey was pretty much like Sabre's, now I too despise the majority of Eagle supporters for the same reasons.
It's been a bloody hard road to stay on, but that just makes what's coming up even more sweet.
Go you good things!!

After sitting through the 117 point Derby loss at an Eagles home game and the amount of crap I got at the game and afterwards from Toast fans, it's pretty hard not to have some sort of hate towards the Eagles.

I was born in 1985, and with both my parents emigrating to Australia in the 60s, I had no real family history of football. In the very early ninetees, I developed a liking for watching this new oval ball game on television every weekend. At first, it was only casual, but in the end it turned out to be a way of life.

As much as it pains me to say it, in the early ninetees I was an E-Girls supporter. After all, they dominated the media here in W.A and I had no real knowledge of any of the other clubs at that stage.

After meeting Chris Mainwaring in South Perth, I developed an admiration for him, and subsequently began following the Sharks in the WAFL. I watched the Sharks on ABC as often as I could and listened to the sports news in anticipation of an East Freo victory. But all the hype at school was about the West Coast Eagles. Eaglemania had swept across Perth yet I was also a closet East Freo supporter. I also developed a soft spot for Peel when they entered the WAFL.

When Freo entered the AFL, I developed a liking for the new team, but still initially had a soft spot for the Eagles. I wanted nothing more than Freo to win every game possible but I initially couldn't watch any derbies as I didn't know who to support.

After one of the early derbies I was bitterly dissapointed that we lost (after losing the last couple) and the advertisement showing an Eagle as a large, powerful figure and the Docker mascot as one of the small fifteen birds angered me even more. From that day, I realized that with my East Freo background I was a Freo supporter at heart and have despised the E-Girls ever since.

At school, there were only two other Freo supporters and we were constantly defending our team when they were bagged by our classmates. I became a member in 2001 and attended every painful minute of every home game. I maintained the faith for the following year and decided to rejoin, I'm not one to jump off my team.

After all the pain we have suffered in the early years, particularly in 2001, it has made each and every one of our victories all the more sweeter, and it has all been worth it.

Rant over.

This would surely get me killed (by die-hard eagles supporters), but I hold a soft spot for the dockers. Though my number 1 team is Eagles as you can see from my avitar.

Last year, while dating this girl, her dad, 'Mark Mathers' hes head of the Dockers Rope crew, knowing me being an eagles supporter tried his best to win me over. So he dressed me up in the dockers kit and made me pull out the rock and anchor onto subi with the 35 biggest docker lovers imaginable, 'the rope crew'. Week after week of doing that, I took a real liking to them.

Though not doing the rope crew anymore as I had a falling out with the girl, I still often go to games and cheer them on. I'm not a band wagon supporter as I only gone to games over the past 2 years (When they've been winning more) but for the reason of Mr Mathers and his attempts to turn my heart purple.

I think some of my logic will **** some people off, but its the way I feel, and you guys are stuck with me :)

As a youngster, I followed West Perth in the WAFL. What I saw of the VFL never excited me much; it just looked like a bunch of no-name Victorians slogging through mudpits with very little skill on display. When the Eagles joined the VFL, it didn't really change my opinion, and I still mainly followed the WAFL.

Then, in 1994, I moved over to Melbourne. It is practically impossible to survive without having a team that you follow over here, and no one was interested in how well West Perth were doing. For that year I stuck with the "as long as they aren't Victorians, I like them" motto, which worked for a while.

In 1995, the Dockers joined the AFL. The Eagles were in the middle of their Mick Malthouse emphasis on defensive play at the time, which I found made for boring football. Under Gerard Neesham, Freo offered something different. It was exciting. The players showed off their skills. Sure, they lost more than they won, but at least it made the game worth watching.

Since then I have been to most of the Dockers' games in Victoria, and a couple in Sydney. I have seen Modra kick ten against Melbourne, Clive Waterhouse soar over packs, and occasionally come down with the mark, Kingsley Hunter on fire at Victoria Park, and, of course, more Fremantle losses than I care to remember. I have been frustrated, tanatalised, excited and dejected - usually all the one passage of play - but I have never ever been bored.

To be honest, I dont really know how about I started following the dockers. I was in year 5 when they began, and didnt really follow footy, so luckily, i have never followed the eagles, may be why my hate for them is so strong.

My only recollection from my primary school days was watching the footy with dad on the weekends, because there was not much else to do, and because he liked the dockers, i followed! (not too mention, i LOVED those colours!!) In 1997(when i was in yr 7) my dad and I became members. I loved looking forward to every second weekend to be able to march down to subi in my colours and be proud. I was very passionate back then and still am. Being the only freo supporter in my year 7 class, filled with eagles supporting boys was a good way of having something in common with them that made the other girls jealous ;)

All through my high school years, i remained a member, going through the ups and downs of there success. Everyone knew me for being "that chick who goes for freo" and i even added something about them in my graduation yearbook. I used to cry over most away losses, and those very emotional close ones. I was a wreck! haha Ive learnt to control my emotions more this year, although i couldnt keep the tears in after that one against sydney....maybe it was the loss added to a bad hangover!

Im still a member, and drag mates to most games to try and get added support....i know i will eventually get them supporting our boys as much as i do. This year, i made the trek to melbourne to see them play against the maggies and it makes you so proud being in the minority over there, even if we did lose.

Being in my next phase of life, seeing them clubbing is a very exciting thing! Went for the first time (been 18 for less than a month) on sat nite to metros in freo and heaps were there. Even pinched sandilands arse a couple of times and got hugs from macca and tlo!

I have such a passion for the Fremantle Football Club, and i love every part of our short history (maybe apart from 2001 ;)) Just like Freo Docker said, i dont care where we play our first final, ill be there.

GO BOYS!! :)

My story
Born 1973 , in East Freo grew up following South Freo then as my thirst for the game grew I followed VFL , my team was St Kilda . I have always hated WCE - I have never tolereated any verbal w@nk from WCE supportters . My mother is a WCE supportter - I am not on talking terms with her , Thats no BS . All my mates I influenced not to support the WCE & when Freo came along we all jumped ship.

Go Freo

I had no choice... seriously - it was like a priest or nun getting the calling to the church. Never a question...
I was a serious South Freo supporter - would go to all the games at Freo Oval as a kid watching the great Stephen Michael, Maurice Rioli, Benny Vigona etc, etc. Would be in the front row, hanging over the fence, banging on the signs, yelling "Carn the Mighty Bulldogs..."
I loved my footy, and followed with interest the fortunes of the WA boys who moved to Victoria to get a kick over there, and would come in from my Saturday afternoon netball game in Freo to watch the VFL Game of the Round on the ABC. North Melbourne was my team of choice.
Eagles entered, and my first response was dismay at what it did to the WAFL and my beloved Bulldogs (South Freo variety). When I finally accepted that the WAFL would never again be the competition it once was, I started following the fortunes of the team of WA boys in the VFL (although never particularly passionately I might add).
Early 90s roll around, I'm in my early 20s - and through various family / ex-school/ uni / ethnic minority connections - I count among my friends and acquaintances Scott Watters, Karl Langdon, Glen Jakovich, Peter Sumich, Brett Heady and Peter Worsfold (brother of John). Guys like John Worsfold, Chris Mainwaring and Chris Waterman are friends of friends, and I'm pretty happy to see these blokes doing well... in fact I met my husband at the Newport in Freo having a few beers down there after the '92 Grand Final.
However, through my Wiggles following (note not supporting!! there's a difference) days, one thing I would constantly babble on about was....
Where would the Wiggles be without the Freo boys in their squad?? If we could get all the South Freo players, and add in the East Freo boys and create a Fremantle team.... we would be HUGE, and the Eagles would be left with the dregs and be not much chop at all!!!
Let's go Freo!!
So when it happened, it just happened for me too - never a question, never a moment when it wouldn't be...
My eldest child is turning 9 next month, and while I was lying in hospital a couple of days after having given birth, my husband was given the job of going into Freo to register her birth, and get her birth certificate organised. He had his list of things to do whilst in town, and one was to stop in at the new Fremantle Football Club offices to buy memberships.
Which he did. First.
So newborn baby daughter was a Dockers Quay Club member (he joined her too, of course) before she even had a birth certificate. There are three little purple people in the house now - and all are Dockers through and through!!
The only tricky thing I have to deal with is Child #2 - the only boy - has jumped ship and barracks for the Sharks... where did I go wrong??
But I can handle that.... he's assured me he will never jump ship and follow the Wiggles (of course not Mum, you know they're my least favourite team!)
hear, hear :)

I don't care who people support as long as they are:

a. passionate
b. informed and intelligent
c. able to recognise and acknowledge good play and good players wherever and whenever they see it / them (from any team)
d. Able to recognise every fan's tendency (including their own) to look at the game through their own teams colours tinted glasses.

Good luck to the Dockers, they look as though they're primed for success over the next few years.

and I sincerely hope the Eagles win in round 22

Originally posted by RooMatera
So, Freo Hitman's priority list goes as follows.

1. Football
2. Family
3. Commonsense

pretty close to the mark there. i've had some huge blues with the family over footy over the years . common sense did prevail - i moved out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by ImperialPurple
The only tricky thing I have to deal with is Child #2 - the only boy - has jumped ship and barracks for the Sharks... where did I go wrong??
Don't worry about him jumping ships, he's already a traitor supporting the goldfish anyway!:D

I have always been a avid Claremont Supporter. My most hated team was South Fremantle closely followed by East Fremantle. ( I have always compared South supporters to Collingwood supporters ) When the WCE came along it was only natural to follow them as I hated the Vic's for pinching all our players. I was never a fan of Mick Sh*thouse. Always whinging, whining and bitching. He turned an attacking team into the most boring team ever to play the game. When the "Claremont Dockers" was formed with Gerard Neesham at the helm, I jumped ship. A lot has been said about Gerard Neesham's style of play but it was never boring.

You know, I've been thinking about this again. And the answer is simple - it's in the blood. When your first born child is a foundation member of the Fremantle Football Club before she even has a birth certificate, you know that this is what it's all about. Loving your club. It's as if all the footy watching / following / supporting that I've done since I was a kid was all just biding time until my purple passion was unleashed.
And I love my club. Go Freo!

i only came to australia in 94 & hated the game at first
but warmed to it @96.
i worked in freo at the time and was surrounded by a lot of people living south of the river with history of suppporting east & south freo who wanted to see a"freo" team succeed, so my interest in the game coincided with the emergence of the new team + the human trait of supporting an underdog made me a freo girl.

but i think TimN has captured the essence - the emotional roller coaster makes passions run higher
- as opposed to the other team who had an easier entry with all the talent availble to only 1 team at the time - they are probably more complacent through having had it made easier for them

yes imperial it is me piranha - came from england - long story involving racism agianst ukrainian parents

Ahh the mighty dockers, theres been good times and theres been bad but i'm happy to still be here today.

My story begins in a similar way to Freofan and Sabre, when i was in primary school. I'll admit to having supported the weagles from when i was born however me and my dad used to trundle down and watch good oll east freo battle it out every second weekend. So one day i'm sitting in the lounge room watching the weagles passing the ball around in their backline when my dad comes in , switches the T.V off , throws me a dockers beanie and says " Liam , we support the dockers now."

Well from that day on my life changed, even though at the time the mechanics of the game was confusing for me, the new and exciting brand of football played by the dockers had me instantly hooked. (Even though most of the players were ex arch-enemies Claremont players). We went to a few games and times were great.

Then in 98 i packed up and moved to boarding school. The next 4 years were pretty tough, fremantle's dismal performances both in the competition and against the weagles meant i faced constant scorn and cristisism from hardcore redneck eagle supporting farmers whom lived with me. At times i considered giving up, but the emotional roller coaster of the dockers, (clive taking majestic marks and then spraying them out on the full), was too compelling and i pulled through.

Well here we are now, last year i bought my first own membership, Went to the dockers first ever final and even without our success i can't imagine supporting anyone else.

Freo Heave Ho!

Originally posted by Freo Hitman
My story
Born 1973 , in East Freo grew up following South Freo then as my thirst for the game grew I followed VFL , my team was St Kilda . I have always hated WCE - I have never tolereated any verbal w@nk from WCE supportters . My mother is a WCE supportter - I am not on talking terms with her , Thats no BS . All my mates I influenced not to support the WCE & when Freo came along we all jumped ship.

Go Freo

Hmmm, question I want to ask is what happened ??

Born in East Freo and grew up following Souths... You must have got dropped on your head when you were a baby ???

Originally posted by ImperialPurple

Imperial, I think they call that an act of brilliance on yer sons behalf ;)

Originally posted by Freo Shark
Imperial, I think they call that an act of brilliance on yer sons behalf ;)

I always wondered if, when I dropped him on his head as a young'un, it would have any lasting effect. Thankfully it's only minor - I can handle the Sharks thing (just)... but if he changed his colours and turned Eagle on me... well I think I'd have to seriously consider adoption for him!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why I stayed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back